Cornwall Football Forum

RESULT - Wednesday 23 March 2022

• Dave Deacon changed the title to FIXTURE - Wednesday 23 March 2022
  • Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULT - Wednesday 23 March 2022

Can we face reality? Truro City are not making a concerted bid for the playoffs. In later March can we dispense with the 'if City can string some results together' they might get into the playoffs argument?

Sadly, its not looking likely at all. Squad they have should be doing better? What do others think?

That said, would love City to confound my pessimistic exoectations!

49 minutes ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Can we face reality? Truro City are not making a concerted bid for the playoffs. In later March can we dispense with the 'if City can string some results together' they might get into the playoffs argument?

Sadly, its not looking likely at all. Squad they have should be doing better? What do others think?

That said, would love City to confound my pessimistic exoectations!

You've ruined Cam Wheldon's slot in the CS Podcast now. 😀 Yes, considering the squad they have (on paper at least) they have underachieved. They seem to have stemmed the goals conceded, but only 3 goals scored in the last 5 games is a meagre return for a side that has Tyler Harvey, Rocky Neal and Alex Battle in it.

39 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

Very poor if thats how many turned up. I assume yate brought down a few. 

With crowds like that and Dickie Evan's pulling the money get ready for the slide now.

Or find another sugar daddy quick.

Said it years ago...heading for Malpas in a couple of years.

42 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

With crowds like that and Dickie Evan's pulling the money get ready for the slide now.

I do believe that you could be right,  Older. No ground,  no real source of income,  what is there to call Truro City Football Club? I know that hindsight is a wonderful thing,  but surely it would have been better if they had kept the status quo pre Mr. Heaney and worked to pay off their debts little by little?  Wouldn't have won the FA Vase, but would still have been at Treyew Road. 

6 minutes ago, Quiet Man said:

I do believe that you could be right,  Older. No ground,  no real source of income,  what is there to call Truro City Football Club? I know that hindsight is a wonderful thing,  but surely it would have been better if they had kept the status quo pre Mr. Heaney and worked to pay off their debts little by little?  Wouldn't have won the FA Vase, but would still have been at Treyew Road. 

You're right, with the benefit of hindsight and all that, but tell me any club and committee in Cornwall that wouldn't have had their heads turned by a Heaney character and what he promised (thinking of the trail of destruction that John Clarkson left in his wake after his exploits at several clubs in Devon & Cornwall). Perhaps it is just better for Truro fans to look back fondly at the FA Vase win and plenty of promotions they enjoyed (better to have loved and lost...).

53 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

6 minutes ago, Quiet Man said:

Sad but true, football history is littered with clubs who have fallen on hard times, but come back to play another day.  AFC Bury, Macclesfield Town and AFC Rushden & Diamonds to name but a few.  Rushden & Diamonds had the fantastic Nene Park stadium in Irthlingborough and got crowds in the region of 4,500 when they were a league team.  By the time they folded that had fallen to around 450.  I genuinely feel for those supporters in Truro, many of whom I know and have worked with.  I think the lesson for all other clubs is the fact that whatever progress they make, it must be sustainable.

3 minutes ago, Town Fan said:

Sad but true, football history is littered with clubs who have fallen on hard times, but come back to play another day.  AFC Bury, Macclesfield Town and AFC Rushden & Diamonds to name but a few.  Rushden & Diamonds had the fantastic Nene Park stadium in Irthlingborough and got crowds in the region of 4,500 when they were a league team.  By the time they folded that had fallen to around 450.  I genuinely feel for those supporters in Truro, many of whom I know and have worked with.  I think the lesson for all other clubs is the fact that whatever progress they make, it must be sustainable.

Yes, and unfortunately non league football is littered with clubs who flew too close to the sun and crashed hard back to earth. Would recommend people reading about the story of Colne Dynamoes. 

https://www.wsc.co.uk/the-archive/101-Non-League/4366-the-colne-dynamoes-debacle

Have heard a rumour, just a rumour, that Parkway have officially asked for Truro to leave Bolitho. I have no idea what the actual groundsharing deal says but it all just adds to the uncertainty surrounding Truro City's future. I was always optimistic that they would survive at a high level of non-league football but am now beginning to have serious doubts. I do genuinely hope I am wrong.

2 hours ago, Quiet Man said:

Yep should have gone all out to pay off the debts and stayed at treyew .They'd  have had a nice lidl ground there now . 

2 hours ago, Thecupfootballblogger said:

Have heard a rumour, just a rumour, that Parkway have officially asked for Truro to leave Bolitho. I have no idea what the actual groundsharing deal says but it all just adds to the uncertainty surrounding Truro City's future. I was always optimistic that they would survive at a high level of non-league football but am now beginning to have serious doubts. I do genuinely hope I am wrong.

Wouldn’t surprise me. There a few in the committee that were never keen on it. 
if it wasn’t for this dry windy spell of weather to keep the pitch playable there would have been real issues with getting the games on. 
also with Truro only bringing in 60 - 70 fans the costings for opening the club bar ,  food , staff etc must be ridiculous high and all manned by parkway people. Not sure what Truro actually contribute to the ground on a Mach day. 
it’s allows been unknown what the actual agreement was. Some suggestions that Truro actually help fund the Parkway stadium upgrade but apparently this isn’t correct and more Truro just Rent the ground on a match day. 
Where do Truro go from parkway if asked to leave ? Only options are further afield out of Cornwall. 
be interesting to see what players depart in the summer 

20 minutes ago, mattelot said:

Yep should have gone all out to pay off the debts and stayed at treyew .They'd  have had a nice lidl ground there now . 

Should have stayed in Cornwall and spent money on ground sharing with , Falmouth helston or even mousehole . Can bet the crowds have  would be 3 times what they get now. 

With the exception of Mousehole the other two grounds could not sustain that level of intensity.

Mousehole have invested heavily in the playing surface in recent years and could possibly. only possibly manage to survive that level of football x two.

4 hours ago, Quiet Man said:

I know what the debt was...they would never have paid it off believe me, makes falmouth's debt pale into insignificance. 

1 hour ago, sportsman10 said:

if it wasn’t for this dry windy spell of weather to keep the pitch playable there would have been real issues with getting the games on. 
also with Truro only bringing in 60 - 70 fans the costings for opening the club bar ,  food , staff etc must be ridiculous high and all manned by parkway people. Not sure what Truro actually contribute to the ground on a Mach day. 
it’s allows been unknown what the actual agreement was. Some suggestions that Truro actually help fund the Parkway stadium upgrade but apparently this isn’t correct and more Truro just Rent the ground on a match day. 
Where do Truro go from parkway if asked to leave ? Only options are further afield out of Cornwall. 

Should have stayed in Cornwall and spent money on ground sharing with , Falmouth helston or even mousehole . Can bet the crowds have  would be 3 times what they get now. 

Agreed, by far the better option was for Truro City to upgrade a Cornish ground and play in Cornwall. The only problem was, there just wasn't time between Treyew Road being finally vacated (Jan 2021) and getting a ground step 3 ready for the 2021/2022 season. A ground such as Blaise Park or Bickland Park was way off being able to host Southern Prem football, Parkway had all the finance, drawings, plans and local authority permissions ready to go. They just brought the work forward a few years.

4 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

I can tell you now . Even if the ground and pitch were up to standard .Falmouth would never agree to a ground share with Truro .

13 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Tell me what Treyew road had that Bickland could not accommodate? 

The biggest problem would be the pitch, it could not withstand the intensity of both teams on it.

I don't think the pitch issue is specific to Bickland Park.  They've had problems at Bolitho Park getting games on, as you say Older, it's just the intensity of use.  I reckon any ground would suffer under such conditions.

38 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Tell me what Treyew road had that Bickland could not accommodate? 

The biggest problem would be the pitch, it could not withstand the intensity of both teams on it.

Talk about pitch resilience is interesting. Do you think they're getting worse Older, is it different weather patterns affecting them or do we just expect a higher standard of surface (for numerous very good reasons, people won't play on quagmires any more)? Don't remember this being such an issue 10 or 20 years ago, most clubs had at least two sides using their pitch (1st and 2nd teams) which meant games every weekend. Effectively, it was ground sharing.

5 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Talk about pitch resilience is interesting. Do you think they're getting worse Older, is it different weather patterns affecting them or do we just expect a higher standard of surface (for numerous very good reasons, people won't play on quagmires any more)? Don't remember this being such an issue 10 or 20 years ago, most clubs had at least two sides using their pitch (1st and 2nd teams) which meant games every weekend. Effectively, it was ground sharing.

Weather patterns for sure is causing the problems. 

I could of told you the weather for the month a few years ago...not anymore!

I don't think some grounds would need alot of work to host that level of football. 

St Blazey for example have an enclosed ground, 3 exits, 3 covered stands, well 2 and a bit currently, tea hut, toilet facilities, new floodlights, players tunnel, changing room facilities etc.

Possibly need a few more seats, car park area fenced off and paths added to two exits. Might be a few more bits. 

But like most clubs, we have our own sides, 3 currently. You couldn't accommodate another. 

1 hour ago, Paul said:

I don't think some grounds would need alot of work to host that level of football.  

But like most clubs, we have our own sides, 3 currently. You couldn't accommodate another. 

There in lies the problem! Many of the clubs mentioned have reserve sides so would have to turf them out to allow Truro to play. Only side at SWPL I can think of without reserves is Bodmin, Camelford and Liskeard.

4 hours ago, bighairydave said:

There in lies the problem! Many of the clubs mentioned have reserve sides so would have to turf them out to allow Truro to play. Only side at SWPL I can think of without reserves is Bodmin, Camelford and Liskeard.

… and both Bodmin & Liskeard have women’s teams sharing Priory Park & Lux Park with the men’s teams. 

Lights are in the plans but obviously was nowhere near good enough to stage Southern League Premier games.

Bolitho had planning permission in place, the money Truro gave them helped in the process of improving the ground. Obviously after the Torquay experience the move out of the county again was not at all ideal but no option.

To bring Priory Park up to Step 3 level, what would have to be done and how long would any planning permission take to be passed? And in any case having given Parkway a fair sum of money, they haven't got a bottomless pit of cash!

At the end of the day I don't think many true Truro City supporters would even go to Bodmin every other week, such is the mind set! 

19 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Lights are in the plans but obviously was nowhere near good enough to stage Southern League Premier games.

Bolitho had planning permission in place, the money Truro gave them helped in the process of improving the ground. Obviously after the Torquay experience the move out of the county again was not at all ideal but no option.

To bring Priory Park up to Step 3 level, what would have to be done and how long would any planning permission take to be passed? And in any case having given Parkway a fair sum of money, they haven't got a bottomless pit of cash!

At the end of the day I don't think many true Truro City supporters would even go to Bodmin every other week, such is the mind set! 

Was there a big chunk of money given to parkway ? I wasn’t sure this was true not sure what the actual arrangements were  ? 
I guess Bodmin would take so much work to get that up to a level. First being how you fence it all off from anyone seeing . It pretty exposed. 
they do need to get back to Cornwall tho the club won’t survive the way it is now. 

It was reported at the time “part of the formal planning agreement, the German supermarket chain will contribute £2.1 million towards the Stadium for Cornwall plans and the club itself will receive £600,000 from Lidl so that they can temporarily relocate and continue training while the new stadium is constructed.

Parkway will benefit from that as Bolitho Park does not fit the criteria for Southern League football and work will begin imminently to bring the ground up to scratch.” 

So part of the 600 grand  was used. Parkway were already well on the way to upgrading the ground but I guess that money helped and was always on a season by season agreement . We’re do they go now tho if true parkway are pushing for them to find a new ground.  ? Guess there not much if any left to relocate again or time to upgrade any grounds 

On 25/03/2022 at 06:47, mattelot said:

Already have Billy . And I'll say it again .NEVER ! 👍

From a purely business point of view, Falmouth would be a bit silly not considering accepting a sum of money from Truro to upgrade their pitch, regardless of local rivalry. Still lots to do at Bickland. Hard standing at the bottom end and also top end behind the stand etc. New pay box. 2nd entrance?? Etc. Etc.

Moot point I suppose as  it probably won't happen.

1 minute ago, The Town Man said:

From a purely business point of view, Falmouth would be a bit silly not considering accepting a sum of money from Truro to upgrade their pitch, regardless of local rivalry. Still lots to do at Bickland. Hard standing at the bottom end and also top end behind the stand etc. New pay box. 2nd entrance?? Etc. Etc.

Moot point I suppose as  it probably won't happen.

What happens to the reserves though?

"IF"  I was a true City supporter I would welcome a demote to the WL or SWPL just to integrate the supporters and club identity back into the Cornish football scene and rebuild. (Now that the Pirates love nest has ended)

There are plenty of clubs with the the ground criteria who could accomodate for £££s  with the "Golden Goose"  Stadium For C. somewhere on the horizon  and this  would keep Truro City FC alive.

16 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Was there a big chunk of money given to parkway ? I wasn’t sure this was true not sure what the actual arrangements were  ? 
I guess Bodmin would take so much work to get that up to a level. First being how you fence it all off from anyone seeing . It pretty exposed. 
they do need to get back to Cornwall tho the club won’t survive the way it is now. 

You're right, they need to be back in Cornwall, but it is hard to see how in the short or medium term (as a step 3 club anyway). Should the stories be correct regarding Parkway looking to terminate the ground sharing agreement, there is just no way that a Cornish ground would be in a position to host Southern League football for 2022/23. Just impossible to get the planning permissions in place and do the work in the four months until the new season. When you run through possible outcomes, you could see a nightmare scenario in which Truro end up being hosted by Tiverton Town for example. 

It would be  humiliating, but perhaps for the best if Truro drop back to the Peninsula League and go with a side built around the highly rated reserves and under 18's that they have. A long, difficult and painful journey back, but plenty of other non league clubs have done it (Falmouth Town to name one).