Cornwall Football Forum

Best Manager at a Cornish Club currently?

The Podcast, via Deacs and Rappo, often wax lyrical about certain managers and their abilities. The likes of Lafferty, Gilbert and Massey being held in high regard. This got me thinking, who really is the best manager in Cornwall.

Darren Gilbert? - Recent seasons have seen huge turnover of players, perhaps more than any club, but results on the field have been mediocre. This season has been a disaster. No-one can doubt Gilby's overall record or his passion. It will be a sad day when he is no longer at Priory Park. It's sad too that we'll never really know just how Bodmin were at their best having not taken promotion to the WL.

Steve Massey? - resources available / utilised meant Helston would always have a good season, but I think Mass had higher hopes than a 'good' season. His overall record in management is patchy and the playing style of the Blues is rudimentary compared to others in the west, mostly Mousehole, but Falmouth a joy to watch too. Its hard to say that about the Blues. A pity some of the young local talent not as prominent as the imports. That said no-one gives more than Stu Bowker on the field. Shrewd signing by Mass!

Andy Westgarth? - built a good core of players over recent seasons and brought some good supplements in like JB-E. It has to be said, for all their excellence and being good to watch, this is the poorest SWPL West I can recall following the departures to the WL of Helston, Ashes, and Mousehole. The F-Troop and the fan following a big help too. I think progress in the WL will show how good Falmouth really are. As with the other Cornish clubs I wish them well when they get to the WL.

Paul Wotton? - under-achieving at Truro maybe, but TBF every game is an away game and the Bolitho Park pitch has taken a hammering. It is amusing as the season rolls on Rappo and Deacs *still* talking about 'if the White Tigers can put a run together' then play offs are possible. Their stadium hosts looking a great bet though in the division below.

Macca Brown? - great work at Millbrook over a few seasons now. A very creditable first season in the WL. Talks real sense on the podcast when on it too. A definite contender! Engendered a good team spirit there.

Dane Bunney? - carried on the good work from the Matt Cusack era (which he was part of) Some good new signings too. A few unexpected slip ups like at A&B will be lamented as Ashes not far short of being future WL title challengers. Maybe next season? For me, they are roughly where I expected them to be in the WL. Will behind the scenes turmoil impact the first team moving forward.? A bit more humility from Dane in victory and graciousness in defeat would be nice. Overall Dane doing a good job, but maybe overshadowed by others.

Phil Laffery? - St Blazey seemed like a Laffs 'greatest hits' outfit at one point as he recruited his squad of Cornish galacticos!! Talented individuals don't necessarily make a team - just see PSG with Messi and Neymar! Playing good football and winning games now..... when the title is beyond reach. I expected a strong challenge this season, so a bit disappointing how things have gone at Blaize Park. Next season I can see them winning a further weakened SWPL.

Reg Hambly? - not the biggest or most fashionable club, but Reg keeps them playing good football and achieving good SWPL finishes. 

Paul Rowe? - see above! Manager who knows his stuff!

Lee Mann? - good side to watch. Some talented players at Lux Park. A Falmouth free SWPL should mean Likeard being serious challengers next year. As it is, runners-up would be a very creditable finish this year. Lee a contender?

Jake Ask? Great playing style. Strong squad. Whole club on the up. Talks great sense on the podcast. My pre-season tip for the WL title. I rate Ash that highly. Right now its between Ash and Macca Brown as the best in Cornwall (for me)

Maybe not the very best (yet) but very impressed with the shape, tactical smartness and improvement at Pennygillam Dan Hart has managed. Living in Lanson this is really pleasing to see. Nearly everyone had the Clarets down for a bottom 3 finish pre-season. C'mon admit readers of this post! Shaun Vincent has rescued Cally Town's season too. Credit due here. I'd really like to see the G do well. Very young side trying to play good football.

So who do you think is THE best manager in Cornwall?

Reg Hambly for me. Other 30 years in the job, overseen their rise from the Est Cornwall Prem, move to a new ground and debut in national FA competitions. Always seem to unearth local gems, and manages to keep hold of them. Can't think of many that have moved on to brighter lights and thrived, a few that have seemed to return quite quickly.

Dane Bunney deserves a mention. Several seasons he ago he was the butt of jokes on this forum as he had several managerial disasters. Possibly a surprise appointment after Matt Cusack moved on,  but nobody is laughing any more with The Ashes firmly in the mix for a top 5 Western League finish.

Regarding Jake Ash. Manages as he played. Dignified, intelligent and assured presence. Have got the feeling he won't be at Trungle Parc for the long haul,(no offence to them given the way they have progressed on and off the pitch) he is destined for much bigger clubs than Mousehole. Not sure if it is possible for them either geographically or size of support wise to keep pace with Jake's ambition and potential.

If we’re talking trophies won Darren Gilbert wins hands down.

Westy having a good season, Lee Mann having a good season, Shaun has certainly transformed Calli, Reg keeps being competitive season after season, Rowers got Wadebridge playing some great football at times, Mousehole are a joy to watch, Dane has probably surprised many judging by comments made when he took over from Matt, Macca and Dan Hart doing very well with smaller budgets, Laffs has got Blazey firing again after a sluggish start, BUT, we can only judge these guys after they’ve won trophies time and time again.

Just my opinion.

Agree with much of what you say WOTP. Camelford, through Reg, a very respected SWPL side and a very good watch usually too. As you say, he finds young talent and improves them. Some managers attract a lot of hype whilst talking a better game than they deliver. Some achieve with the help of relatively big budgets, some don't achieve even with them, so Reg H deservedly highly rated - likewise Macca Brown for doing so on at the 'Brook without the finances of league peers.

7 minutes ago, JonColenzo said:

Westy having a good season, Lee Mann having a good season, Shaun has certainly transformed Calli, Reg keeps being competitive season after season, Rowers got Wadebridge playing some great football at times, Mousehole are a joy to watch, Dane has probably surprised many judging by comments made when he took over from Matt, Macca and Dan Hart doing very well with smaller budgets, Laffs has got Blazey firing again after a sluggish start, BUT, we can only judge these guys after they’ve won trophies time and time again.

Just my opinion.

Very good points raised. Strongly agree with much of what you say.

Best manager for me at the moment for me has got to be Wendrons manager Mike Oneil what he has done with a little club like Wendron is amazing he may not have wads of cash and win lots of trophies but he would be manager of the year for me .But the greatest manager has to be Darren Gilbert with all the trophies he has won at Bodmin such a shame to see a great club like Bodmin struggle this year but the good days will return players just need to be more loyal and go off as soon money is mentioned .

53 minutes ago, JonColenzo said:

Just my opinion.

Darren Gilbert's trophy winning record speaks for itself. Not taking promotion though will always be something held against him, and there is a danger that these last couple of years at Bodmin will be how he is remembered (I am sure that even the staunchest supporter will view this season as chaotic).

Firstly thanks Both Sides of the Tamar, obviously a keen Rappo & Deacs podcast listener. 👍

So what makes a manager the best and how do you measure it? 

The number of trophies won has to be the number one indicator surely, however against this don't you have to be aware of the budget made available to achieve these successes? The former we know, the latter is only ever going to be rumour led.

In contrast, some would suggest their "best manager" would be someone that has introduced a number of players from lower levels that have gone on to hold their own in a higher standard.

Others would prefer their "best manager" to be one that just gets on with the task in hand, no touchline histrionics and drama! 

Of course these days, there is quite often a management team and each one puts in their own little bit to the job and would deserve a mention somewhere along the way . For example, Shaun Vincent has been mentioned, but he would probably suggest Ryan Fice has done just as much in their turnaround at Callington.

"The best manager in the county" - an interesting subject indeed. What about the likes of Kev McCann of Saltash Borough? The topic question heading suggests "currently"!

29 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Darren Gilbert's trophy winning record speaks for itself. Not taking promotion though will always be something held against him, and there is a danger that these last couple of years at Bodmin will be how he is remembered (I am sure that even the staunchest supporter will view this season as chaotic).

Totally understand your thoughts Ian, but surely the promotion issue would be a club sustainability decision as opposed to Darren’s decision, I’m sure him and his squad would have loved to test themselves higher? I think Darren would certainly agree this season has been totally chaotic and hopefully people with long memories will see the glory years outweigh a couple of difficult seasons, it would have been easy for some to throw in the towel, but not Gilbey as anyone who knows him would agree.

A great topic though where everybody understands and accepts each other’s opinions……..hopefully 

28 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Firstly thanks Both Sides of the Tamar, obviously a keen Rappo & Deacs podcast listener. 👍

So what makes a manager the best and how do you measure it? 

The number of trophies won has to be the number one indicator surely, however against this don't you have to be aware of the budget made available to achieve these successes? The former we know, the latter is only ever going to be rumour led.

In contrast, some would suggest their "best manager" would be someone that has introduced a number of players from lower levels that have gone on to hold their own in a higher standard.

Others would prefer their "best manager" to be one that just gets on with the task in hand, no touchline histrionics and drama! 

Of course these days, there is quite often a management team and each one puts in their own little bit to the job and would deserve a mention somewhere along the way . For example, Shaun Vincent has been mentioned, but he would probably suggest Ryan Fice has done just as much in their turnaround at Callington.

"The best manager in the county" - an interesting subject indeed. What about the likes of Kev McCann of Saltash Borough? The topic question heading suggests "currently"!

Very good point too DD, a manager with a small budget who encourages youth through his club certainly should take a lot of credit.

2 minutes ago, JonColenzo said:

Totally understand your thoughts Ian, but surely the promotion issue would be a club sustainability decision as opposed to Darren’s decision, I’m sure him and his squad would have loved to test themselves higher? I think Darren would certainly agree this season has been totally chaotic and hopefully people with long memories will see the glory years outweigh a couple of difficult seasons, it would have been easy for some to throw in the towel, but not Gilbey as anyone who knows him would agree.

A great topic though where everybody understands and accepts each other’s opinions 

To be honest, anybody who puts them self into the pressure cooker environment of semi-pro football club management deserves praise. Especially the likes of Darren Gilbert and Reg Hambly. As you say, Gilby could have walked away several seasons ago with a glittering CV. Obviously somewhere, deep inside himself, he still believes he can build another winning side at Bodmin. Rumours abound that he'll depart at the end of this season, but maybe just maybe, he won't want to leave it like this.