Cornwall Football Forum

Problems with Referees Apointments

Why is it when a team doesnt turn up for a game the league comes down hard on them when you have both teams turn up, warmed up and ready to go when no referee shows! apparently the ref from the Helston res v Chacewater in FHL1 told 'the powers that be' he wasnt gonna make the match last Wednesday because he was taking part in a semi final match tomorrow, The league didnt tell the clubs involved this and let the teams find out at kick off! yet I bet nothing happens to the 'powers that may be' of course not! thats fine if they muck up. I feel sorry for Chacewater who came over for nothing, whos gonna pay their petrol money? not the league thats for sure! Just a shame that the league is run like that!

The same thing happened at Clijah today for the Redruth / Gwinear game in Mining One. By all accounts the ref informed 'the powers at be' that he couldnt ref the game in the week yet neither club was informed! We were up there all changed and warmed up, all for nothing! I agree, its poor. :SM_carton_y:

Having said that a replacement ref arrived for our game, which Gwinear werent happy with but thats a different story! :rolleyes: :c:

In fairness Number 16, whilst our Reserve team manager was happy to referee the whole game, he couldn't really be classed as a replacement ref as such as he wasn't independent.

When this wasn't acceptable to Gwinear, we offered an alternative of someone from our camp refereeing one half, and one from Gwinear's team doing the other. However, neither of us had an officially registered referee (wish I kept my registration up now!!). But as we could not force the game to go ahead, Gwinear were within their rights not to play.

Having said that, with both teams having changed up, warmed up, cooled down etc etc, it basically meant an afternoon spoilt. As far as I can remember, that is the first time ever that this has happened to us when another team has refused to play Redruth Utd when a willing volunteer could be found to referee.

I think we need to remember that many games in Cornwall go ahead, without a registered referee, with the cooperation of both teams. If this didn't happen at the lower levels , we'd be playing right throughout the summer in many cases.

Just a shame that the game couldn't have gone ahead - we weren't playing a title decider after all!

I've yet to hear why either a replacement referee wasn't provided, or why we weren't notified at all, but won't jump to conclusions until I hear from the appropriate channels.

Guest Frodo

DONT BLAME SOME OF THE REFS FOR NOTTURNING UP,WITH THE AMOUNT OF SLAGGINGS OFF THEY GET,AND IF THEY READ THIS SITE CHRIST ITS A WONDER WE GET EM AT ALL. :SM_carton:

Guest Dermot

Its a crying shame when this happens,definately down to a breakdown in communication,but when you look at how many games have to be allocated Refs there is bound to be a **** up every now and then,generally it all runs smoothly.

It all points back to the age old problem though,we have a shortage of Refs,and sometimes both teams should try to agree and let someone from either club take the middle,not ideal but when you have 22+ players ready to go surely thats the better option? ;0) :c:

The same thing happened at Clijah today for the Redruth / Gwinear game in Mining One. By all accounts the ref informed 'the powers at be' that he couldnt ref the game in the week yet neither club was informed! We were up there all changed and warmed up, all for nothing! I agree, its poor. :SM_carton_y:

Having said that a replacement ref arrived for our game, which Gwinear werent happy with but thats a different story! :rolleyes::c:

The same thing also happened a fortnight ago to us at Clijah. We (Gulval reserves) were playing against Portreath, both teams changed up and on the pitch waiting for the ref. Eventually we found out that the ref wasn't coming and "The General" officiated over proceedings.

The point made in the original post was a valid one. We were held up in traffic when playing away to Titans and the ref went bloody mental at us, threatened to report us to the league and said we were disgraceful. What if we had said that to him?. If clubs are to be punished, why not officials?.

For what it's worth, a suggestion to all secretaries.

You should be phoning your appointed referee five days before a game, whether you do it five days, four days or whenever, make it clear to him or her that you would appreciate a call from them if they are taken of the game or can't take up the appointment.

I know I can hear some of you say, "But I shouldn't have to do that, it should be common courtesy." Unfortunately, we're not all made the same, some may say "Thank God." But if you 'put the ball in the referee's court', then it's down to the referee to let you know about any unavailability.

Then secretaries, if you do get a call saying the referee can't make it, phone the appointment's secretary immediately and hopefully he can re-appoint someone else for your game. By the same token, if the referee doesn't turn up and you don't get a call to say otherwise, tell the appointment's secretary.

At the very least, you will know if no one is coming and can make alternative arrangements, if both clubs are in agreement. Like someone else has stated already, it's no fun having to travel miles with a mindset for playing, only to be told there's no referee.

Unfortunately guys, even the 'organising of a you know what in brewery' needs communication and communication is two way.

Guest plonker

when i got my fixtures for the month i looked at the date on the 8th and had no game in any of the leagues ,but i couldn't do a game any way as i had to take my little girl to the cinema for her birthday :c: :c:

If both helston and chacewater are upset that they did,nt play yesterday, why not play without an official referee? Falmouth Ath have played no fewer than 9 games without an official in both div 1 and div 3, we lost at St agnes only 2 weeks ago with Aggie manager Andy Goundry in the middle, he had an excellent game took a bit of stick as you might expect but we played the game. Falmouth Town played Hayle yesterday their ref never turned up but they found someone and the game went ahead.

when us(tms res)went down madron ,we were told if they dont have an proper ref dont play the game as chasewater had a very bad expierence with a dodgy ref down there.............so it just happened we got down there they had no ref.....even tho we were told not to we didnt want to travel all the way back again.we let there 1st team player ref it and he done a fine job despite swearing and threatening us.to be honest i would rather play a team and run the risk of him cheating then not play at all after all what is a weekend with out football?????

Guest Spenny

Greyhound, i was told that Helston also didn't want to play the game without an official ref, and after trying their best to find one i thought both managers agreed not to play the game. (i may be wrong but that's what i was told). I guess weather you play the game without an official ref is down to how important the match is and the two managers. Helston v Chacewater could be massive come the end of the season and just imagine what would happen if 'someone' has reffed the game and had a howler! Everyone would then say that it was our choice to let the game go ahead.

Common sense prevailed i think on this occasion.

Guest Rabinowitz_The_Red

I'd rather ref a game then sit here on my arse reading about refs not turning up, c'mon refs at least let the home team know if you can't make it :thumbsup::smiley20:

if i can't ref a game i always phone the apponiments officer and i would ring both teams (if i got there numbers) but really anita the refs only have to phone the appointments officer. they do the rest.

Spenny we wanted to play the game, to be honest we was well up for it, at the end of the day it is proberly best it will be played later with a official ref. I used to play football in Hertfordshire and the rules in that league is if the ref doesnt turn up the home team have to put someone in his place so the game goes ahead, i think this is a good rule, it stops fixture pile ups at the end of the season.