Cornwall Football Forum

County matches at all levels to come!

Dave Deacon

Taken from the County FA site …:

The Rules

Each game will have a winner, so if a match is level at 90 minutes it will go to penalties, if each County wins 3 games then Goal difference across the 6 matches (not including penalties) will determine the winner.

The Cornwall Management

• Women’s Senior – Vicky Fisher, Natasha Mills, Lauren Lyndon Hill
  • Girls U16 and U18 – Vicky Fisher, Beth Willshaw, Hailey Collins, Georgia Lane, Lauren Lyndon-Hill
  • Men’s Senior – Glynn Hooper, Andrew Westgarth, Phil Lafferty, Dennis Annear
  • Boys U16 and U18 – Glynn Hooper, Jamie Day, Alan Yendell, John Fabby, Dennis Annear

We are unable to hold trials for the squads but the management of the respective sides have a wealth of knowledge and have been out watching teams, attending games and training sessions along with years of experience and we will be contacting players who we would like to represent the County, details of the games, travel etc will be communicated at the time.

Eligibility Criteria – Players must be born in, live in or be registered to a team in Cornwall to play for any of our teams.

• Players for the Men’s Senior Side will be selected from players playing at Step 5 (Western League) and below
  • Players for The Women’s Senior Side will be selected from players playing at South West Women’s League and below
  • Players for the U16 and U18 Boys side are any players who are not contracted to a professional academy and meet the age criteria
  • Players for the U16 and U18 Girls side are any players who are not contracted to a professional academy and meet the age criteria

Details on the final squads, the entry fee for the matches and all other information will be released in the coming weeks.

On 07/01/2022 at 15:01, Dave Deacon said:

23C66FDB-511C-4F51-8258-B3B102433512.jpeg

It's great to see representative football taking place again. There isn't anything quite like it!

On 07/01/2022 at 20:20, Blues Chairman said:

Cornwall Men v Devon Men - Tues 15th March @ St Blazey

Given this date clashes with the first scheduled semi-final of this seasons Cornwall Senior Cup, the second being Wed 16th, surely this will rule out a number of players from representing The Duchy.  

I very much agree with this. It doesn't make sense to hold a representative fixture that clashes with Cornwall's supposedly most prestigious competition. For me, if you are going to play representative fixtures, it's about picking the very best team that Cornwall has to offer. That wouldn't happen with these sorts of fixture clashes. There's also the chance that Andrew Westgarth would miss a Cornwall fixture, if it clashed with Falmouth making the last four of the Senior Cup. Although I do understand why some would think that really isn't the be all and end all.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, GaryHocking said:

Cornwall & Devon FAs have announced that the senior men’s game has been postponed from 22 March to 11 May (the announcement doesn’t mention venue so, I guess, still at St Blazey). No reason given in the announcement. 

And so it should, should never have been scheduled on that date in the first place.  Shame they didn't do the same for the women's! 

See the league are adamant Truro reserves will fulfil their fixture against Hayle the day before the U18 game. Considering a large amount are in Glynns squad, yes i hear the violins from the truro haters folks, but all the effort the regional FAs have gone to  in getting representive football back on I'd have actually thought a greater degree of flexibility would have been afforded Truro.  Not special treatment, just what I'm sure has been afforded other clubs in the past. 

17 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

The SPL was accommodating towards Saltash Reserves the other week, so surprised they are taking this viewpoint for Saturday.

What about as a compromise Truro offer to switch venue and play Hayle under lights sometime later midweek? 

Although a comprise could have been looked at, I'm not sure it warrants it. Devalues a career highlight in representing your county for the players.  I have my own views why this is but as my original post kind of puts across, just find it a bit strange, especially if done for other teams, either in near or far history. Disappointing. 

12 hours ago, EddieD said:

See the league are adamant Truro reserves will fulfil their fixture against Hayle the day before the U18 game. Considering a large amount are in Glynns squad, yes i hear the violins from the truro haters folks, but all the effort the regional FAs have gone to  in getting representive football back on I'd have actually thought a greater degree of flexibility would have been afforded Truro.  Not special treatment, just what I'm sure has been afforded other clubs in the past. 

Where do you suggest they play the game instead?

They are already playing:

Sat 19

Tues 22

Sat 26

Tues 29

Sat 2

Tues 5

Sat 9

Tues 12

Sat 16

Tues 19

Sat 23

Tues/Wed 26/27

Sat 30

Tues 3

Thurs 5

Sat 7

8 minutes ago, bighairydave said:

Where do you suggest they play the game instead?

They are already playing:

Sat 19

Tues 22

Sat 26

Tues 29

Sat 2

Tues 5

Sat 9

Tues 12

Sat 16

Tues 19

Sat 23

Tues/Wed 26/27

Sat 30

Tues 3

Thurs 5

Sat 7

I would suggest they would rather play a sat/sun against league opposition rather than one of those games being county representation against Devon. The fact is there is no appetite to assist because its Truro, only my opinion. I see what this team and management are up against every week and its laughable. Again only my opinion. 

15 minutes ago, EddieD said:

I would suggest they would rather play a sat/sun against league opposition rather than one of those games being county representation against Devon. The fact is there is no appetite to assist because its Truro, only my opinion. I see what this team and management are up against every week and its laughable. Again only my opinion. 

Interested to hear what else?

Didn’t the league accommodate an FA Youth Cup game earlier in the season?

It isn’t just about what you want either as Hayle possibly wouldn’t want to play on a Saturday and a Sunday? 

Yes they did for the FA youth Cup, so why not for a representative game of their own County FA? I understand the camp you're sat in, however my opinion is the league could maybe be flexible, other teams may be flexible, and truro could be flexible for the sake of Cornwall U18 rep side, not truro reserves. Or we follow the course of action we are! 

The Counties seem very accommodating in moving the men’s fixture (twice) but are unhappy with the decision re U18s. 
The SWPL have never allowed postponements for U18 games clashes as far as I remember.

Truro are in a difficult position as both of their teams are ground sharing but seem to want preferential treatment?

I think the game on Saturday is being played.

2 hours ago, EddieD said:

Yes they did for the FA youth Cup, so why not for a representative game of their own County FA? I understand the camp you're sat in, however my opinion is the league could maybe be flexible, other teams may be flexible, and truro could be flexible for the sake of Cornwall U18 rep side, not truro reserves. Or we follow the course of action we are! 

Probably because there aren’t too many other options.

Have Truro spoken with Hayle to try and find an alternative date?

Would also be interested to hear more about this “management are up against” accusation too. Care to elaborate?

2 hours ago, baldy said:

The Counties seem very accommodating in moving the men’s fixture (twice) but are unhappy with the decision re U18s. 
The SWPL have never allowed postponements for U18 games clashes as far as I remember.

Truro are in a difficult position as both of their teams are ground sharing but seem to want preferential treatment?

I think the game on Saturday is being played.

I don’t think anyone at the club has asked for preferential treatment. They asked for a postponement and it was refused so end of.
Players and parents may not be happy but that is very different from Truro wanting preferential treatment.

I am all for County games however, in this instance it is the responsibility of the counties to fit in/around leagues/season and not the other way round.

SWPLwere under strict instructions that no games were to be postponed to accommodate despite counties trying to say otherwise!

Games could easily have been played at the end of the season and would probably mean a greater selection of players (with some approached not already having other football commitments) and attract more supporters 

Aside from fitting the fixtures in, I have to say the geography of players included is very western in the youth teams. Respect the standing of the game of those in charge but to have no representation of any player east of St Austell is crazy. How far east did the 5 managers travel to watch games if no trials took place?