Cornwall Football Forum

RESULTS - Mon 27 Dec 2021 (Bank Holiday Monday)

WEST

Porthleven                    2-1            Helston Athletic Reserves

Redruth United             0-7        Illogan RBL

Perranporth                  1-1         St Agnes

St Day                           3-0            Falmouth Town Reserves

EAST

St Dennis Res               P-P  AFC St Austell Res

Redruth Utd 0 v 7 Illogan 

Feisty Xmas derby which unfortunately the match referees lack of experience at this level showed and had little control of the benches or players leading to several mass confrontations and 2 minutes lectures which had no effect .

Illogan were much better overall although 3 late goals made for a flattering score line in the end .

Good crowd of over 100 vociferous spectators watching and adding to the entertainment ! 

PS I was there purely as a spectator with my daughter to watch my grandson play , am I not allowed to do that ? NOT as a County or league Official , it wasn’t even a Trelawny game .
Remarks should be used as learning points for the referee not as criticism as others have taken them to be !!

Redruth United 0 Illogan 7 

this game had everything that you would want from a derby game apart from a goal for Redruth. On a heavy pitch.

No need to ask what most of the players had for Christmas because there were lots of handbags on show😎.

Illogan deserved their win today but I know the Redruth boys were disappointed with their performance, good to see some of our youngsters getting a runout again as needs must and they are doing a good job.

The crowd was around 100 and going around picking up any rubbish during the game I realised what football is Truely about as I spoke to so many people I have had the pleasure to be involved with or played against over the years.

hope everyone had a lovely Xmas and wish you all a happy new year and thanks to everyone at clijah today who supported the game and our club.

9 minutes ago, zebedee said:

Redruth Utd 1 v 7 Illogan 

Feisty Xmas derby which unfortunately the promotion chasing match referee was out of his depth at this level and had little control of the benches or players leading to several mass confrontations and 2 minutes lectures which had no effect .

Illogan were much better overall although 3 late goals made for a flattering score line in the end .

Good crowd of over 100 vociferous spectators watching and adding to the entertainment ! 

Thanks Dave as I said during the game we are grateful we had a referee 

1 hour ago, zebedee said:

Feisty Xmas derby which unfortunately the promotion chasing match referee was out of his depth at this level and had little control of the benches or players leading to several mass confrontations and 2 minutes lectures which had no effect .

No wonder there’s a lack of officials when you have an ex official slating current ones! Shame on you.

A one sided game where Redruth we’re tactically poor you’d have to question the Redruth managers decisions with the tactical side of things today. The most I heard out of him was when he was having a go at the illogan bench, not very constructive for his team on the pitch mind you and doesn’t help! 

pitch was cut up badly by the end, but I have to keep reminding myself when I visit these grounds that they are council owned, wasn’t long ago when they had travellers on it I hope the money raised for the club has been put to good use on the building, nice to see a tea hut serving hot food.

1 hour ago, zebedee said:

A referee and member of the Cornwall FA board publicly shaming another referee. What hope do the poor sods have when they have one of their own targeting them aswell.  I was at this game and I thought the referee did well for what was put in front of him which was at times, frustrating to see as a spectator that took his boy to his first ever football match. From what I understand the referee is still quite new and learning the ropes so I'm under no doubt that he will use his experience today to become better going forward

The referee in question has been officiating for 3 years now and is chasing promotion to  enable him to officiate on the South West Peninsula League.

Whilst I’m a big defender of match officials, based on todays performance, somebody needs to have an honest and open chat either the chap about how ready he is to step up to the next level.

He’d be eaten alive in the higher leagues.

Regardless of how poor a referees performance might be (I wasn’t at todays game so can’t comment) I find it utterly deplorable that a former referee, league and county FA deems it acceptable to publicly chastise a referee on a forum.

Would he be so forthcoming with criticisms of the appointments department at the County FA ceased to appoint referees to their league as a display of solidarity with a refereeing colleague?

I’m sure the Duchy League, Combination League and East Cornwall League would be appreciative of the extra officials.

I clocked the ref speaking to someone at half time as I was getting a cup of tea (£1 and served by two wonderful Redruth volunteers), maybe an assessor or another ref. Hopefully he had some words of encouragement. Im not all that familiar with referee procedures but from what Ive seen in SWPL football that I've attended you need to have a bit about you to be able to ref at that level. Thank you also to the chap who was collecting the money. We had a nice conversation - aswell as collecting money he also appeared to pick litter up throughout the game. Volunteers are so important

12 minutes ago, St Darren said:

Wouldnt a former referee be in a better position to comment on a poor performance of an official. 

Yes they may have an understanding of the Laws of the Game but with their other capacity supposed to be a League Official and a County FA official it makes a mockery of the Respect the Ref campaign.

If a County FA official publicly criticised me on a public forum then they’d soon be handed my whistle and informed of my retirement.

There needs to be a level of professionalism surely? You shouldnt criticise colleagues in a public forum. Mr James should have spoken to the referee privately after the game and offered guidance and advice on his failings. I thought Illogan played well, Redruth lacked heart (heard that comment next to me, which I have to agree with). Very good to see Redruth fielding no less than 6 players who all appeared to be around 18. Do they have a good youth system?

Like Peter Walton on BT then, where he backs nearly all of the decisions made by referees despite evidence against. 

Perhaps if we got over the fact that referees are untouchable we may get somewhere. 

It would also help if referees stepped down on abuse that they're given, it wouldn't happen then. 

4 minutes ago, BrummyBarry said:

There needs to be a level of professionalism surely? You shouldnt criticise colleagues in a public forum. Mr James should have spoken to the referee privately after the game and offered guidance and advice on his failings. I thought Illogan played well, Redruth lacked heart (heard that comment next to me, which I have to agree with). Very good to see Redruth fielding no less than 6 players who all appeared to be around 18. Do they have a good youth system?

Hit the nail on the head. 

A county fa official will know the correct procedures for offering guidance to a match official. It certainly isn’t publicly on a forum renowned amongst the referee community as being a hive of abuse towards us.

• Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULTS - Mon 27 Dec 2021 (Bank Holiday Monday)
5 minutes ago, St Darren said:

Like Peter Walton on BT then, where he backs nearly all of the decisions made by referees despite evidence against. 

Perhaps if we got over the fact that referees are untouchable we may get somewhere. 

It would also help if referees stepped down on abuse that they're given, it wouldn't happen then. 

Referee won’t clamp down on abuse because they don’t won’t to mess up there club marks!! 

10 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Irreespective of the referee - did Redruth score a goal? On Full-time it appears they did! 

I didn't see one for Redruth 

17 minutes ago, St Darren said:

They arent untouchable and shouldn't be untouchable as they can ruin games but do it in the right way. I dont know much about the politics of football down here but whilst there is a shortage of referees cant people just stop talking trash about them? David James as a referee is well placed as any to offer criticism but I just think it should be done in private or maybe he can send an email to the head of referees at Cornwall FA?  Its better to come from him than people like me who have never reffd a game so don't understand the rules as much. I spoke to one chap in the crowd who said he plays for a team in the trelawney league he said that theyd had more volunteers than actual referees this season 

Just now, BrummyBarry said:

I didn't see one for Redruth 

They arent untouchable and shouldn't be untouchable as they can ruin games but do it in the right way. I dont know much about the politics of football down here but whilst there is a shortage of referees cant people just stop talking trash about them? David James as a referee is well placed as any to offer criticism but I just think it should be done in private or maybe he can send an email to the head of referees at Cornwall FA?  Its better to come from him than people like me who have never reffd a game so don't understand the rules as much. I spoke to one chap in the crowd who said he plays for a team in the trelawney league he said that theyd had more volunteers than actual referees this season 

There's a massive shortage. Was speaking to one today and he said that there was 40 less.  

I still say that the referees don't have to put up with the abuse, they're the ones in control. 

48 minutes ago, St Darren said:

There's a massive shortage. Was speaking to one today and he said that there was 40 less.  

I still say that the referees don't have to put up with the abuse, they're the ones in control. 

They’re not in control of this forum though are they? 

If a referee is having a hard time during a game then you’re correct in that they should use the tools available to them (sin bins, yellows and reds).

If they’re given a hard time on a forum afterwards though, what can they do about it?

2 minutes ago, Secret Referee said:

They’re not in control of this forum though are they? 

If a referee is having a hard time during a game then you’re correct in that they should use the tools available to them (sin bins, yellows and reds).

If they’re given a hard time on a forum afterwards though, what can they do about it?

Understand where you're coming from there but players will get critisised so refs will as well. 

If a referee does a decent job then the critism wont occur. 

7 minutes ago, St Darren said:

Understand where you're coming from there but players will get critisised so refs will as well. 

If a referee does a decent job then the critism wont occur. 

If you genuinely think that referees won’t get a hard time if they “do a decent job” then you’re incredibly naive.

I’ve personally experienced and known other referees have cracking games and then be harangued on here over ONE mistake. 

My point still remains that attitudes towards referees needs to change and that change HAS to be backed by County FA officials.

It makes a complete mockery of the Respect the Ref campaign of our own County FA officers are the ones giving out grief (not abuse I will note) on this forum.

1 minute ago, Secret Referee said:

If you genuinely think that referees won’t get a hard time if they “do a decent job” then you’re incredibly naive.

I’ve personally experienced and known other referees have cracking games and then be harangued on here over ONE mistake. 

My point still remains that attitudes towards referees needs to change and that change HAS to be backed by County FA officials.

It makes a complete mockery of the Respect the Ref campaign of our own County FA officers are the ones giving out grief (not abuse I will note) on this forum.

It needs to start from the top. The players on TV need to behave better and receive the correct punishment for abuse. Then it will filter down. 

1 hour ago, St Darren said:

It needs to start from the top. The players on TV need to behave better and receive the correct punishment for abuse. Then it will filter down. 

There isn’t enough time for that change to filter down to grassroots and the NLS.

By the time that change happens at the top we’ll have no referees left at our level.

Its far too easy to blame the elite level rather than look closer to home and face our own attitudes and approaches to post match reviews, comments and critiques.

From the reviews I’ve read today there’s been several straight red cards given to players across the games played today yet there is virtually no criticism of these players that have potentially endangered the safety of an opponent or acted violently.

Yet a referee has what some deem to be a below average game and is ripped to pieces on here. 

That is what needs to change and needs to change now. Rather than blame the elite and wait for the change to eventually filter down.

2 hours ago, BrummyBarry said:

I clocked the ref speaking to someone at half time as I was getting a cup of tea (£1 and served by two wonderful Redruth volunteers), maybe an assessor or another ref. Hopefully he had some words of encouragement. Im not all that familiar with referee procedures but from what Ive seen in SWPL football that I've attended you need to have a bit about you to be able to ref at that level. Thank you also to the chap who was collecting the money. We had a nice conversation - aswell as collecting money he also appeared to pick litter up throughout the game. Volunteers are so important

Thanks BrummyBarry that was me. As I said in my reply we were glad to have a referee. I know the referee of today’s game and any criticism I had would of constructively been directed to him personally.

What really needs to change for me is for clubs to be accountable for the behaviour and conduct of their players if the players themselves cant control their own behaviour! At the end of the day, the Peninsula league rightly or wrongly are not affected by the lack of referees, so the players will still carry on trying to con, cheat and intimidate officials to get decisions in their favour as there is no real threat to them not having a game through lack of available referees. Some referees may seem more worried about upsetting clubs, players, supporters and anyone who has an opinion to air on these forums......but my god how refreshing would it be to have the respect shown by our Rugby playing sportsmen shown to our referees!! Is it really asking too much?? 

6 hours ago, zebedee said:

PS I was there purely as a spectator with my daughter to watch my grandson play , am I not allowed to do that ? NOT as a County or league Official , it wasn’t even a Trelawny game .
Remarks should be used as learning points for the referee not as criticism as others have taken them to be !!

Unfortunately, regardless of whether you’re there in an official capacity or not, you should know better than to come onto a forum and publicly criticise a colleague.

Certain positions of power come with responsibilities and being a member of the Cornwall FA Management Board most certainly gives you added responsibility to set an example and not instigate a pile on for the poor referee.

12 minutes ago, Secret Referee said:

Unfortunately, regardless of whether you’re there in an official capacity or not, you should know better than to come onto a forum and publicly criticise a colleague.

Certain positions of power come with responsibilities and being a member of the Cornwall FA Management Board most certainly gives you added responsibility to set an example and not instigate a pile on for the poor referee.

Spot On and well said. Zebedee’s official capacity is one of influence and most certainly not one of power. His comments seem to indicate he thinks he has power. No county fa official should ever ever be posting on social media. 

3 hours ago, St Darren said:

St Darren, the cards and sanctions are there for referees to deal with abuse etc, problem lies with Club Marks being used for promotion etc. 

Referees should not be afraid of enforcing the laws of the game for fear of a bad mark.

40 minutes ago, Clubman said:

St Darren, the cards and sanctions are there for referees to deal with abuse etc, problem lies with Club Marks being used for promotion etc. 

Referees should not be afraid of enforcing the laws of the game for fear of a bad mark.

The recent farce with Saltash marking a referee at 61 based on stoppage time is a prime example of this. 

Club marks should not be used to determine a referees promotion/demotion as they’re given by unqualified (in terms of the LOTG) people with emotions attached to the game.

A referee’s entire season can be ruined by one spiteful club giving a poor mark because one or two decisions went against them.

9 minutes ago, justanopinion said:

What about if club marks were used (what else would be better or is a viable alternative?) however the poorest mark and best mark over the course of a season was not used? So, eliminate any extremes.

I’m honestly not sure what the answer is.

Something needs adjusting though, as currently, referees are hesitant to tackle dissent and abuse from the sidelines as a poor club mark can end any chance of promotion at SWP and above.

Personally I think the 'club mark' 'issue' is over stated. No doubt it'll vary from club to club. We all know the main culprits when it comes to abuse from the sidelines. However, that doesn't mean these same people actually send in a mark for the ref. Very often the adrenaline activated chants from the sidelines are forgotten when in the clubhouse and the hard working/behind the scenes secretary goes home to submit the paper work including a reasoned report on the ref!

So where are the governing body going to find more referee assessors? I find your reply disrespectful of club officials who genuinely give the required consideration before submitting a mark. There are guidelines to follow and if done properly, its not that difficult, surely is better than nothing. There are people that follow this forum with sufficient knowledge to help the cause. Not all followers just pretend to be experts without some knowledge. I seem to remember a very well known ex player received a lot of criticism a while back for his comments on this forum. In my opinion he was well qualified to comment, probably more so than some said assessors!!

12 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Perhaps they should enrol some of the experts from the forum! 😀🤭

Step up Mr @RAPPO 👀 🤣

I am joking before you spit your dummy out 😝

10 hours ago, justanopinion said:

So where are the governing body going to find more referee assessors? I find your reply disrespectful of club officials who genuinely give the required consideration before submitting a mark. There are guidelines to follow and if done properly, its not that difficult, surely is better than nothing. There are people that follow this forum with sufficient knowledge to help the cause. Not all followers just pretend to be experts without some knowledge. I seem to remember a very well known ex player received a lot of criticism a while back for his comments on this forum. In my opinion he was well qualified to comment, probably more so than some said assessors!!

I’m sure the referees also find the comments of some club officials disrespectful too.

There are some lovely people at clubs around the county and ultimately I don’t think club marks should be abolished totally. 

I do however think the current system needs tweaking. It’s less of an issue for referees at St Piran and below but once you get to Level 4 one or two spiteful marks from a secretary can either dash any hopes of promotion to Level 3 or even worse, result in demotion. Yes, there are plenty of club officials that think carefully about the marks and are subjective, but all it takes is  1 or 2 to let their emotions or 1 contentious decision dictate the mark they submit. 

We all know that there’s a few club officials around who’s club marks are heavily influenced by whether they win/lose rather than the performance of the referee over the whole 90 minutes.

32 minutes ago, Rab19 said:

All of this nonsense above, yet not one word on the top of the table clash: St Day v Falmouth? 

Good point Rab!

Who went to any of the other games and would like to let us know about the football played?

To remind you of the other games:-

WEST

Porthleven                    2-1            Helston Athletic Reserves

Perranporth                  1-1         St Agnes

St Day                           3-0            Falmouth Town Reserves