Cornwall Football Forum

Are TCFC (1sts) headed for Carnon Downs?

Truro City FC playing fields improvement

"This is a planning application for proposed improvements to playing fields, a larger parking area, new floodlights and new temporary general purpose building at Truro City Football Club playing fields, Killicourt, Carnon Downs.

It was submitted by CAD Architects on behalf of the club.

It reads: "Truro City Football Club first team currently play in the Southern League, at the seventh tier of the English football league system. They are the highest ranked club from Cornwall. The first team are currently relocating from their existing home ground at Treyew Road to new premises.

"Truro City Reserve Team are seeking URGENT improvements to this pitch in order to comply with English FA Regulations’ minimum requirements for the St Piran League.

"The proposed improvements will consist of the following; improved parking area, access footpath, temporary general purpose modular building, pitch perimeter barrier, temporary modular spectator seating, part–time floodlighting.

"The site is owned by Truro College, and the field has been in use as playing fields for more than 20 years."

Application PA21/11725 will be considered by Cornwall Council by Wednesday, March 9."

Source: Cornwall Live: https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/large-residential-development-urgent-truro-6325851?utm_source=linkCopy&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

I don't know... Maybe I'm reading into this too much. But, with the way things are going with the S4C, I wouldn't be surprised if this did become City's new home. 

2 hours ago, Ozman said:

TCFC 11st team will be returning toTruro, at the new ground in Langarth. The Reserves will play at Tregye, hopefully it will be developed to a level where they can initially play in the SW Peninsula. Thats it in a nutshell.

Work to start at Langarth on a football ground for Truro in January 2022 I would suggest!

Tregye plans are to help with SWPL Step 6 achievement.

On 21/12/2021 at 10:53, Dave Deacon said:

Work to start at Langarth on a football ground for Truro in January 2022 I would suggest!

Tregye plans are to help with SWPL Step 6 achievement.

Is that a fact Dave about work starting at Langarth next month, or are you saying they will need to start soon if they are to get back there next season?

On 22/12/2021 at 12:20, The Town Man said:

Is that a fact Dave about work starting at Langarth next month, or are you saying they will need to start soon if they are to get back there next season?

Nobody outside of TCFC/Pirates knows for sure. Speculation is filling the vacuum that is left by the lack of official communication. 

On 21/12/2021 at 14:08, Ozman said:

Thanks Dave, perhaps it will now get through that Truro City is a Cornish Club that is committed to being the top club in its home county.

Unfortunately though, Truro City, in reality, are a million miles away from being the top club in Cornwall. They might be in terms of the league they play in. To be honest, they probably will be for some time yet. But in terms of everything else, they are nowhere near being the top club. Unfortunately, it's their nearest rivals that are out trumping them. Not a good look at all for the club!

• 5 weeks later...

My personal opinion only is that the money promised by David Cameron will not be honoured by our present PM. However the relocation settlement from the Developers of Treyew Rd (held by the Council) and the fact that Cornwall Council has expressed its wish that Truro has its football club back gives me my optimism. The fact that ground work has commenced at Langarth is also an important step forward. As an Australian living in Truro I always look on the bright side.

22 minutes ago, Ozman said:

My personal opinion only is that the money promised by David Cameron will not be honoured by our present PM. However the relocation settlement from the Developers of Treyew Rd (held by the Council) and the fact that Cornwall Council has expressed its wish that Truro has its football club back gives me my optimism. The fact that ground work has commenced at Langarth is also an important step forward. As an Australian living in Truro I always look on the bright side.

Or the other way up!...lol.

8 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Grass? So this is for the TCFC pitch at Langarth rather than the Stadium for Cornwall?

The S4C proposed surface is all-weather isn’t it?

Be interesting to hear what form this new development is going to take. Is it going to be the facility that was originally envisaged, or temporary stands initially with permanent structures to follow? Nothing coming out of Truro City or Pirates, so inevitable that rumour and half stories will fill the gap. Would have thought that news of work finally commencing would have been all over their respective social media sites.

Even if it is now all systems go, would have thought that the 18 months or so until the start of the 2023/24 season is an extremely tight time frame to build a step 3 ground and pitch from nothing.

12 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Whoosh!.....there's a million quid gone.

An artificial pitch would fit the original vision of City and the Pirates ground sharing, as well as having the reserves, women and age group sides using it. Applaud the ambition, but as you say Older, certainly not cheap.

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/02/2022 at 14:18, Ozman said:

I'm with you here. I can't see the current government providing any money towards the project. If they were going to do so, you'd like to think it would've been done by now. I'm hoping Truro come back to Cornwall ASAP. However, we must also be realistic about how much this is all going to cost. And let's be honest, where is that money at the moment? From what we know so far, there isn't enough!

On 01/02/2022 at 18:14, Dave Deacon said:

Someone connected with the club informs me its going to be all-weather!

I to have been told this. An artificial surface has been planned for quite some time!

20 hours ago, Jacob-Englefield1 said:

I'm with you here. I can't see the current government providing any money towards the project. If they were going to do so, you'd like to think it would've been done by now. I'm hoping Truro come back to Cornwall ASAP. However, we must also be realistic about how much this is all going to cost. And let's be honest, where is that money at the moment? From what we know so far, there isn't enough!

I to have been told this. An artificial surface has been planned for quite some time!

As I have said many times on here, something official from Truro City/Pirates would be great. With my sceptical head on, the lack of any news/ballyhoo surrounding the first shovel being stuck in the ground, probably means that nothing has happened. Prepared to be proved wrong on this though.

Before I get a pile on from certain voices, I think a Stadium For Cornwall (or whatever it is called) would be a wonderful thing for City, the Cornish Pirates and the county as a whole. I have previously expressed this on this forum.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems to me best thing that Truro City  for next season 

Is bring the Cannon Downs ground up to Western League standard drop Truro down a couple of leagues

That way they will be playing near the City .also they will be playing teams like Helston and Mousehole 

Because playing at Torquay and Plymouth is never going to work

Nobody is going to travel 140 miles round trip on a Saturday or Tuesday night to watch football

43 minutes ago, bonzo said:

Is bring the Cannon Downs ground up to Western League standard drop Truro down a couple of leagues

That way they will be playing near the City .also they will be playing teams like Helston and Mousehole 

Nobody is going to travel 140 miles round trip on a Saturday or Tuesday night to watch football

Would need to find whole new team. None of the current lot would drop down to play western league. 

Heard from my man on the ground in the Plymouth area that there has been a lot of rain again next week, and he thinks that the pitch is very doubtful for Saturday.

Could be a case of, Truro v Wimborne gets called off on Saturday and Parkway v Barnstaple has a chance of going ahead on Tuesday. Or play it, and Bolitho Park is wrecked for a few weeks. Bit of a dilemma.

Seems to me like things are going to come to a head soon regarding the groundshare arrangement, and where City play next season. Once again, it would be great if someone  from City or The Pirates broke cover and told people what is going on. 

18 hours ago, bonzo said:

Would make sense, but is dropping down a couple of leagues that simple? Would guess that there are deadlines for resigning from the Southern League, and potentially fines for missing this. Assume as well that Carnon Downs would need a visit from the ground graders, and would think that time is now very short to arrange this (would they also be happy to just look at plans, and set deadlines for this work to be done).

There looks like more rain tomorrow then 3-4 days if dry weather  No chance Truro game  will be on Saturday would imagine parkways will be touch and go for next Tuesday 

Not sure what the option is if it gets desperate. Does Newton abbots coach road Astro turf fall under the correct ground reg if needed ?? 

1 minute ago, sportsman10 said:

There looks like more rain tomorrow then 3-4 days if dry weather  No chance Truro game  will be on Saturday would imagine parkways will be touch and go for next Tuesday 

Not sure what the option is if it gets desperate. Does Newton abbots coach road Astro turf fall under the correct ground reg if needed ?? 

Suspect the Southern League would take a pretty dim view of sides not playing fixtures at their home ground. Still a little bit of slack in the calendar to rearrange games, but many more cancellations would make it very difficult to fit them in.

7 hours ago, Quiet Man said:

I would think that Cornwall Council will be able to give Truro City the money to build a new ground from the proceeds of selling off the land that the Ships and Castles pool on Pendennis headland sits on. For as long as I can remember it's take from Falmouth and give to Truro so watch this space! 

You're not wrong there Charlie,  been robbing Falmouth since Carrick days!

32 minutes ago, Quiet Man said:

Ain't that the truth, Dave? Falmouth and Penryn,  or PenFal as you like to say, has been ripped off so much over the years. Why so much is done for a city that doesn't even have the highest population in Cornwall beats me! At least we should get a rate reduction in our area now!

Wishful thinking...bet we don't...lol.