Cornwall Football Forum

Portreath Expulsion from Dunn Cup

Guest meady

Guest meady

Portreath AFC would like to inform all the Clubs in the Mining Leagues that the League has withdrawn Portreath from the Dunn Cup. It has become apparent that we used a player who had already played for Portreath in the Jolly’s Shield, therefore making him cup-tied and unable to play in the Dunn Cup. This was an administration error and we take full responsibility for not double checking our players’ eligibility to play within the Cup. We cannot complain as rules are rules and have been set for all Clubs to adhere to. All we can say now is that we have learnt a valuable lesson and we wish all the teams left in the Dunn Cup all the best.

it would have been nice to win it three times on the trot but thats the way it goes . we are out now and must concentrate on other competitions . for me personally i would like my old team mate and good friend gerrard 8 to win it now with trevenson . i know he has a history in the dunn cup because i was in the carharrack side many moons ago that stuffed the then star studded chacewater side in the final . what year was that again neal . hang on i will check my winners medal . only joking mate see you on saturday

it would have been nice to win it three times on the trot but thats the way it goes . we are out now and must concentrate on other competitions . for me personally i would like my old team mate and good friend gerrard 8 to win it now with trevenson . i know he has a history in the dunn cup because i was in the carharrack side many moons ago that stuffed the then star studded chacewater side in the final . what year was that again neal . hang on i will check my winners medal . only joking mate see you on saturday

Sammo 66, That was a few years a go now matey and i was part of that side that took a hammering but your right Carharrack did take us to the cleaners that night, Down at Illogan if i remember correctly.

I take it your still playing for Portreath now then mate ? :D

Guest Vixster

Im confused!?! This rule makes no sense...

We played a Division 3 player who had played in the Div 3 league cup (Jolly Shield) in the Division 1 League Cup game - there is no advantage gained by playing a Div 3 player in a Div 1 game.

I can totally understand if a club played a Div 1 player in a Div 3 Cup Game

The irony is the player in question was sub in the Div 3 Cup game and only played 10 mins in this game and then was sub in the Div 1 cup game and again only played 10 mins at the end because we were 5-0 up and wanted to give him a run.

Its not sour grapes but can someone please explain this rule to me? :unsure:

If it was the other way around fair enough, this sort of thing happened at Illogan a couple of times.

You can play the Junior cup then play the senior cup...but if play the senior cup then get dropped you can't play the junior cup.....but like meady said - rules are rules - even if they are a little odd.

gerrard8, Im not sure mate but i have a feeling we may have won the league that season which kind of makes up for the hammering in the final, Hope your well fella. :D

Sammo 66, Im glad your staying mate your a quality player and there is not long until the end of the season mate so enjoy whats left and the big day out, Some never experience that so enjoy. See you soon chap. :D

Vixster, try looking at the F.A website all the rules are explained on there, Stupid as they be and i agree with what you say but rules are rules. :(

baggie your talking sense for a change :D I thought you were going back to the club on Tuesday i guess you had your orders mate. :clapper:

This rule are stupid. :SM_carton: The two cups are completely different competitions and i think its a joke that Portreath have been expelled for fielding a player who has featured in both. If it was a player who had played in a earlier round of the Dunn Cup for another team then fair enough but this is not the case.

I think this rule (as well as a few others) should be looked at by the people in authority and changed for next season so it won't ruin any other teams seasons. :angry2:

i dont think theres a problem with the rule at all i think its a good rule infact

but i do sympathise with portreath thats a tad unlucky

your gonna win everything else anyway so dont be to disopointed

and well done on your cup win was class :clapper:

A One ans A Six - This is a League rule and,like it or not,it has been agreed by the clubs and approved by the League Committee.If you are not happy with it,i suggest that,through your club,you propose an amendment or revocation which can be put forward and discussed at the Mining League AGM by the clubs.

I agree that the circumstances as Vixster explained are unfortunate but most clubs do run up against these issues some time or other.

If there was an ammendment it should probably state that if a player moved up to play in the cup in a higher league then they can only do it from within the same club. This would avoid tactical transfers but would also make sense as in this case Portreath really do not deserve to be kicked out.

For those who said that they had already won it... have a bit of faith in your own squad, anything can happen in football!

However, I'm sure Trevenson or Portreath will relish not having to face each other again and again this season. Their fixtures were beginning to pile up eh?

SF - Please don't get A One and A Six on my case! He's like a mini politician. Perhaps he might want to consider himself for election onto the committee. A bit of youth and feistiness. The Mining League committee is always looking for young enthusiastic people! And unlikely we'll have too many more Mining League seasons now, with the proposed merger gaining pace, so he'd better be quick!

However, as far as potential rule changes are concerned - it's too late. Needed to have submitted to the League Secretary by 28th Feb!