Cornwall Football Forum

Players signing for numerous Clubs

What’s everyone’s thoughts on players signing on for lots of different Clubs in various leagues? Some people I’ve spoken to recently are saying it’s becoming a real problem now within the County league system? Seems lots of players just aren’t happy to sign for one Club anymore! Shame as i think it’s a difficult dilemma to address?

3 hours ago, THEMAGPIE said:

What’s everyone’s thoughts on players signing on for lots of different Clubs in various leagues? Some people I’ve spoken to recently are saying it’s becoming a real problem now within the County league system? Seems lots of players just aren’t happy to sign for one Club anymore! Shame as i think it’s a difficult dilemma to address?

It's wrong that players are allowed to sign for multiple clubs. A real farce!

Think it would really test the loyalties of players and the abilities of managers to attract players if it was one player, one club. Perhaps the standard of the leagues would improve as well because some of the football is no better than pub football, especially St Piran's and Combination league.

Must be an absolute nightmare for league secretaries. Remember many years ago a player for Liskeard (when they were Western League) having a tantrum when he was left out, and jumping in his car to go off and play for Truro (then South Western League). It's by no means a new issue. 

The issue of suspensions confuses me as well, there was a player recently who was serving a ban from his regular step 4 club, but was able to turn out at step 5 for another club. Surely banned should mean banned?

1 hour ago, Way Of The Park said:

Must be an absolute nightmare for league secretaries. Remember many years ago a player for Liskeard (when they were Western League) having a tantrum when he was left out, and jumping in his car to go off and play for Truro (then South Western League). It's by no means a new issue. 

Sure can be!

1 hour ago, Way Of The Park said:

The issue of suspensions confuses me as well, there was a player recently who was serving a ban from his regular step 4 club, but was able to turn out at step 5 for another club. Surely banned should mean banned?

All to do with disciplinary 'Categories of Football'.  In discipline terms Category 5 Football covers Steps 5 & 6 and everything outside the NLS.  Different rules apply above that level which is why a Step 4 player who is serving a suspension at that level can play at Step 5 and below.  If you want some night-time reading it's in the Discipline Regulations section of the FA Handbook.

57 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Let’s use Jordi Dingle as an example to help us all try and understand it - he was recently sent off playing for Step 7 Truro City Reserves. As his first choice would be to play for St Blazey Step 6  - how does any games ban work in this situation?

Easy way to answer this Dave is to quote the Category 5 Regulations:

'Qualifying matches for a suspension are based on the team the Player was playing for at the time they were sent off. Should a Player transfer, (i.e. cease to be a member of the original Club), to the satisfaction of the County FA, to a team at the same level and category as the original Club, then any remaining period of suspension may also be transferred to the new Club.'

i.e. in this case he couldn't play for St Blazey until Truro had played however many games it was he was suspended for.

13 minutes ago, Greygen said:

Think another case study is Mount Gould. How many players do they have signed on from SWPL and higher teams for when they don't have games...

If you look it's not hard to find similar examples.  Many moons ago I had a club that had to submit 7 days notice to 5 other clubs in different leagues to transfer in one player.  

12 minutes ago, Steve Carpenter said:

Easy way to answer this Dave is to quote the Category 5 Regulations:

'Qualifying matches for a suspension are based on the team the Player was playing for at the time they were sent off. Should a Player transfer, (i.e. cease to be a member of the original Club), to the satisfaction of the County FA, to a team at the same level and category as the original Club, then any remaining period of suspension may also be transferred to the new Club.'

i.e. in this case he couldn't play for St Blazey until Truro had played however many games it was he was suspended for.

If you look it's not hard to find similar examples.  Many moons ago I had a club that had to submit 7 days notice to 5 other clubs in different leagues to transfer in one player.  

The Plymouth Evening Herald used to produce a list of players suspended by the Devon FA, durations (in days back then), leagues and clubs they were registered in, which was always entertaining. The one that stuck with me was Mark Loram (the ex Torquay striker). He was signed on for clubs across about 7 leagues (Southern League, Western League, South Western League, South Devon League, Devon County League, Devon & Exeter League and a  Sunday league).

Someone like Stuart Bowker or Tornado Bello must almost be in that territory.

The issue comes when a certain player gets injured. 
now stu bowker is signed as the main striker for helston say he played for bodmin sat and damaged his knee that him out and his goals gone and possible helston chance of winning the league. 
I remember years ago clubs would stop you playing Sunday football. I don’t see how clubs allow it at all. It also brings into the argument the lads that are also dropped to bench to accommodate these players. 

1 hour ago, winston said:

The magpies have used plenty of players signed for other teams over the years. Glasshouses.....

I never claimed they haven’t? The majority of Clubs are unable to turn players away that aren’t willing to stick to a one Club policy as there would be teams struggling to field sides everywhere, it has to come from the Fa if there’s to be any change.

2 hours ago, Postman Pat said:

Remember at Illogan years ago there were 3 teams and beginning of season you signed for all 3. Mining,combination and South Western Leagues. Pre season was chaos forms everywhere

Yep, how it should be. If a player wants to move then it should be in total not just from the side in "X" League.  Loyalty went out of the window years ago.

Killing local football in my opinion. As already stated, nothing the County FA can do as the rulings come from above. If I had my way you should only be able to sign for one club. If you then want to move clubs, you have to wait a 4 week transfer period before starting with the new club. It would stop all these players jumping around two or three clubs per season. A similar rule worked years ago in the cricket leagues and there was hardly any movement of players during a season. 

39 minutes ago, Reesy said:

Killing local football in my opinion. As already stated, nothing the County FA can do as the rulings come from above. If I had my way you should only be able to sign for one club. If you then want to move clubs, you have to wait a 4 week transfer period before starting with the new club. It would stop all these players jumping around two or three clubs per season. A similar rule worked years ago in the cricket leagues and there was hardly any movement of players during a season. 

Agree Phil, however, some managers have to take some responsibility. 

Take the case of Stu Bowker, in a few weeks time you will find a Bodmin player turning out for Helston. That’s the way it works, you scratch our back & we will scratch yours. !!!

The sooner players just sign for 1 club the better. Nothing worse than seeing a higher league player turn out for a lower league different club side just because his team have no game in order to simply - and for no other reason - help the other side get a win. You never hardly ever see higher league players drop down to another club to sit on the bench when they don’t have a game….. 

The excuse is always “he just wants to play with his mates”! What about the lads that have been dropped/left out to play him? 

The worst offenders must be Bodmin they havnt had a settled side all season  it must be so frustrating for Darren poor sod dont know what side hes going to have from 1 week to the next . It must be awful  when teams roll up for a mid week game and they are faced with players of the calibre of Stuart Bowker and Levi Landricombe and then come the weekend that Bodmin side has got young boys in the team playing . Not really fare on the players that are already there when Western League players are there and getting paid crazy money to play for them 

2 hours ago, 100%cornish said:

The worst offenders must be Bodmin they havnt had a settled side all season  it must be so frustrating for Darren poor sod dont know what side hes going to have from 1 week to the next . It must be awful  when teams roll up for a mid week game and they are faced with players of the calibre of Stuart Bowker and Levi Landricombe and then come the weekend that Bodmin side has got young boys in the team playing . Not really fare on the players that are already there when Western League players are there and getting paid crazy money to play for them 

Also it’s not fair on the other teams in the league. It makes for a distorted table

There is also an opposite - I know from Camelford’s experiences (who can’t afford large sums for higher league players) - Reg, when short through injuries, looks for players from lower leagues, gives them a chance to shine and has found some real quality young players as a consequence, so dual registration can work - but I also agree playing some teams is a nightmare as you just don’t know what you are going to face. 

3 hours ago, St George said:

The excuse is always “he just wants to play with his mates”!

Of course we all believe that money has nothing to do with it.     
The managers and clubs could stop the merry go round if they abandoned their policy of signing players who were already signed with other clubs.
The F.A. could be accused of allowing it to happen and are regularly upheld as the cause of the problem by not ruling it illegal to sign for two clubs.
Maybe however they wrongly felt that the integrity of club officials and the players concerned would not allow the wellbeing of their club or indeed their league to be put in to jeopardy.
Paying money that can't be afforded to win a match or the possibility of winning a trophy, is short term thinking in the extreme as some clubs have found out to their cost already.
If the present situation is allowed to continue, the only way the smaller clubs will survive, is if they are fortunate enough to have a committee capable of fundraising enough money to be able to pay players.

7 hours ago, Bobjfh said:

There is also an opposite - I know from Camelford’s experiences (who can’t afford large sums for higher league players) - Reg, when short through injuries, looks for players from lower leagues, gives them a chance to shine and has found some real quality young players as a consequence, so dual registration can work - but I also agree playing some teams is a nightmare as you just don’t know what you are going to face. 

Because they pay the players there enoughalready?

Come on Bob. Don’t try to pretend the players travel that way for the love. Cornish football isn’t exactly a secret place where what’s offered to lure players away from clubs isn’t known.

10 hours ago, John Davies said:

Come on Bob. Don’t try to pretend the players travel that way for the love. Cornish football isn’t exactly a secret place where what’s offered to lure players away from clubs isn’t known.

And there was me thinking that players drive for hours for the love of the club and the town/village they are based in. 😀

19 hours ago, John Davies said:

John - it’s not for me to explain what / how much players get paid at any club (I can assure you that at the Camels players do not get paid anywhere near as much as some / many clubs and that the players do actually do it for the enjoyment - several have had approaches to play for more but won’t) - my point was very simple - the thread was about dual registration being used to bring in ‘higher level players’, my point was that dual registration can actually also be used for players to play at a higher level - and perhaps get paid. 

Should a Dutchy / St Priams / ECPL players have the opportunity to play higher - Yes. Should a Southern League player be paid a small fortune to play lower - No.  Just my opinion. 

8 minutes ago, Bobjfh said:

John - it’s not for me to explain what / how much players get paid at any club (I can assure you that at the Camels players do not get paid anywhere near as much as some / many clubs and that the players do actually do it for the enjoyment - several have had approaches to play for more but won’t) - my point was very simple - the thread was about dual registration being used to bring in ‘higher level players’, my point was that dual registration can actually also be used for players to play at a higher level - and perhaps get paid. 

Should a Dutchy / St Priams / ECPL players have the opportunity to play higher - Yes. Should a Southern League player be paid a small fortune to play lower - No.  Just my opinion. 

Not sure you can have two different rules for the same scenario. How can you penalise players for dropping down but not for stepping up? It surely begs the question that if a player thinks he's good enough to step up, even if it's to help a team out, then why shouldn't he have that belief to allow him to move full time. Perhaps a better way to solve this problem would be for the individual leagues to have a 'local' rule that it's clubs will not take players already signed to another club unless it is a complete transfer - would certainly see which clubs and/or managers are happy to play by this rule.

19 minutes ago, le boss said:

Not sure you can have two different rules for the same scenario. How can you penalise players for dropping down but not for stepping up? It surely begs the question that if a player thinks he's good enough to step up, even if it's to help a team out, then why shouldn't he have that belief to allow him to move full time. Perhaps a better way to solve this problem would be for the individual leagues to have a 'local' rule that it's clubs will not take players already signed to another club unless it is a complete transfer - would certainly see which clubs and/or managers are happy to play by this rule.

LeBoss - I agree totally, for me there is a ‘moral’ issue about players wanting to improve v players wanting a pay packet for sitting on the bench or playing with no ‘lustre’.  

Would love CCFA leagues to impose  the rule you have suggested - but we all know they can’t. 

We get told Step 6 (7 as feeder) are part of the NLS - so why can’t we bring in two transfer windows (I do know that applies to contracted players), but if the top tier rules applied to all in the NLS - would end the debate - below that it is recreational and playing with mates (even though the same discrepancies occur). 

19 hours ago, Bobjfh said:

LeBoss - I agree totally, for me there is a ‘moral’ issue about players wanting to improve v players wanting a pay packet for sitting on the bench or playing with no ‘lustre’.  

Would love CCFA leagues to impose  the rule you have suggested - but we all know they can’t. 

We get told Step 6 (7 as feeder) are part of the NLS - so why can’t we bring in two transfer windows (I do know that applies to contracted players), but if the top tier rules applied to all in the NLS - would end the debate - below that it is recreational and playing with mates (even though the same discrepancies occur). 

Something in my head tells me that the local leagues DO have some local rules which only apply to individual leagues - I may be wrong and happy to be corrected. If I am right, then why can't this be made a rule per individual league. I feel it is a real cop out for managers to load their teams - just trying to make them look good and gain cheap success

I think it’s something which is potentially only an issue in Cornwall and Devon, probably due to a lack of players across the board. When I moved away for a spell and played in Sussex I can’t recall players dual signing at all. Perhaps because it’s not an issue elsewhere, the FA don’t really see it as a priority to change the ruling on dual signing. 

• 3 months later...
On 29/11/2021 at 20:36, THEMAGPIE said:

I never claimed they haven’t? The majority of Clubs are unable to turn players away that aren’t willing to stick to a one Club policy as there would be teams struggling to field sides everywhere, it has to come from the Fa if there’s to be any change.

LOL ! Fork-tongued Magpie thieves have been stealing St Just players like Dave Burt for decades, then trying to play rulebook games to justify it. Bottom of the league now ? What a shame !

2 hours ago, isaac rosenberg said:

LOL ! Fork-tongued Magpie thieves have been stealing St Just players like Dave Burt for decades, then trying to play rulebook games to justify it. Bottom of the league now ? What a shame !

Isaac you make me hoot!, Dave Burt was never poached! wake up and look at what you had to offer?? A glorified agricultural field for a pitch, a tin shack with half a roof for a stand, showers that were basically a roulette wether you came out alive or not and having to put up with you every Saturday banging on about your “Raffle” and other insignificant monotonous matters. The only difference now is you’ve put a cage around the pitch to keep the livestock off it……