Cornwall Football Forum

RESULTS - Friday 12 November 2021

• Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULTS - Friday 12 November 2021

Falmouth - Good Friday night crowd of 545 + on a wet drizzly night. 
Credit to Wendron who certainly didn’t let themselves down but they were really second best to Falmouth in all areas. Falmouth were sloppy in front of goal on occasions but we can’t complain as 5 goals for , continues the 100% league start. Thought new signing Tom Moxham looked sharp when he came on and had a great shot saved by the Wendron keeper. And doesn’t Jack Bray Evans like an early goal!

Looking forward to Vase action next week up Buckland! 

Also with live England International football on TV.

The last  two Bickland games have seen 1115 spectators

The average for all  10 League and cup  Home games = 345 this season.

I heard the Remembrance  pre match service went well with Donald Chambers doing the reading  and former Town player Paul Kneebone (1989-96) performing the "Last Post" &  "Reveille" on his bugle.cornet.

46 minutes ago, Mike Odgers said:

The last  two Bickland games have seen 1115 spectators

Well done Falmouth, there would not be so many struggling with their finances if they could attract a large enough crowd.
Apart from the obvious winning formula on the pitch, does the club also have another winning formula for attracting a good following.

28 minutes ago, We Two said:

Well done Falmouth, there would not be so many struggling with their finances if they could attract a large enough crowd.
Apart from the obvious winning formula on the pitch, does the club also have another winning formula for attracting a good following.

It's family friendly ,we don't charge for under 16's. It's an afternoon / evening out for all the family as any video / photos will show there are wives girlfriends ,mums and dads .And the kids love pikachu the mascot .General Jeff has done a lot of work getting the F troop supporters group up and running over the last 3-4 years and all credit to him .👏All it needs is for someone at each club to step forward ,no reason why you can't have the same at other clubs . Oh and a good social side with entertainment and  bar prices help too .😁

41 minutes ago, mattelot said:

It's family friendly ,we don't charge for under 16's. It's an afternoon / evening out for all the family as any video / photos will show there are wives girlfriends ,mums and dads .And the kids love pikachu the mascot .General Jeff has done a lot of work getting the F troop supporters group up and running over the last 3-4 years and all credit to him .👏All it needs is for someone at each club to step forward ,no reason why you can't have the same at other clubs . Oh and a good social side with entertainment and  bar prices help too .😁

Thanks for the reply Mattelot, it confirms the ethos we have tried to suggest for some time, which is as any business person will tell you, looking after your customers / supporters is paramount, success will more often than not be the prize achieved.
It has been suggested on the forum, that what is in the trophy cabinet is what counts, at this level (6) that can be a very dangerous train of thought.

Whilst winning trophies shows how successful a TEAM has been on the field, that is no good if it puts the CLUB into financial difficulties. There are many things that go into the making of a successful CLUB, the main one in my opinion is making the punter want to come back.

1. Give them good conditions in which to watch the match. Shelter from the weather is paramount otherwise if the weather is inclement, they will stay at home. At Bickland Park there is shelter on all four sides, but it has been recognised that it still needs improving. On the list of jobs to do are re-instating the sides to the grandstand as it is acknowledged that the wind and rain blows in from the sides. Extending the roofing behind each goal. A few years ago, it was more than adequate, but with the increasing attendances, increasing the shelter is now necessary. A happy situation to be in😊.

2. Entertain the punter. Attacking football is great, but not the be all and end all. At Falmouth Town, we have a couple of characters (you know who you are) that dress up in costumes home and away and create endless amusement. Even the opposition supporters, and perhaps the players, too, are amused by these CHARACTERS, but it does make for harmless fun, and these days we all need some of that. The singing is entertaining to say the least, but it builds a togetherness, and on the whole is harmless, but sometimes a little bit naughty.

3. Don't rip the customer off with extortionate bar prices. If you do, then they will go elsewhere on non-match days, or just turn up shortly before a match and then leave straight afterwards. You need to keep them there as long as possible and if they are happy then they will stay. The banter and camaraderie all goes to create a good ambiance. Vital! 

4. Once you have got the punter keep them. Make them feel welcome, involve them and encourage them to maybe next time, bring a friend or family member who has not been before. Make an occasion of it. If possible walk to the match (very green and healthy) of use public transport. This in itself makes it an occasion that will hopefully be repeated.

When you have these things in place, you have the foundations to improve the team, but don't do it by putting the club into debt. It has happened at Falmouth Town in the past and thanks to those now involved, luckily that is now just a bad memory. But most of all, believe that what you want to achieve is possible, because if you don't then it won't be achieved. 

I acknowledge that at Falmouth Town we are riding on the crest of a wave and hopefully it will be kept going, but all this has been achieved, not by having a Sugar Daddy who could walk away at any time, but by getting the supporter back into the ground...and loving what he sees.

5 hours ago, Mark Jones said:

Credit to Wendron who certainly didn’t let themselves down but they were really second best to Falmouth in all areas. Falmouth were sloppy in front of goal on occasions but we can’t complain as 5 goals for , continues the 100% league start. Thought new signing Tom Moxham looked sharp when he came on and had a great shot saved by the Wendron keeper. And doesn’t Jack Bray Evans like an early goal!

Can’t argue with this. Second best to a very good side and summed up well by manager Mike O’Neill in Dave Deacon’s post match interviews. As sloppy as Falmouth may have been going forward, we were equally so defensively and after getting back into the game at 1-1 some poor decision making and a debatable offside third goal for Falmouth meant that the game was ultimately out of our reach. 
Great team Westy has built on and off the pitch and best of luck to them for the rest of the season. 

3 hours ago, Quiet Man said:

Whilst winning trophies shows how successful a TEAM has been on the field, that is no good if it puts the CLUB into financial difficulties. There are many things that go into the making of a successful CLUB, the main one in my opinion is making the punter want to come back.

1. Give them good conditions in which to watch the match. Shelter from the weather is paramount otherwise if the weather is inclement, they will stay at home. At Bickland Park there is shelter on all four sides, but it has been recognised that it still needs improving. On the list of jobs to do are re-instating the sides to the grandstand as it is acknowledged that the wind and rain blows in from the sides. Extending the roofing behind each goal. A few years ago, it was more than adequate, but with the increasing attendances, increasing the shelter is now necessary. A happy situation to be in😊.

2. Entertain the punter. Attacking football is great, but not the be all and end all. At Falmouth Town, we have a couple of characters (you know who you are) that dress up in costumes home and away and create endless amusement. Even the opposition supporters, and perhaps the players, too, are amused by these CHARACTERS, but it does make for harmless fun, and these days we all need some of that. The singing is entertaining to say the least, but it builds a togetherness, and on the whole is harmless, but sometimes a little bit naughty.

3. Don't rip the customer off with extortionate bar prices. If you do, then they will go elsewhere on non-match days, or just turn up shortly before a match and then leave straight afterwards. You need to keep them there as long as possible and if they are happy then they will stay. The banter and camaraderie all goes to create a good ambiance. Vital! 

4. Once you have got the punter keep them. Make them feel welcome, involve them and encourage them to maybe next time, bring a friend or family member who has not been before. Make an occasion of it. If possible walk to the match (very green and healthy) of use public transport. This in itself makes it an occasion that will hopefully be repeated.

When you have these things in place, you have the foundations to improve the team, but don't do it by putting the club into debt. It has happened at Falmouth Town in the past and thanks to those now involved, luckily that is now just a bad memory. But most of all, believe that what you want to achieve is possible, because if you don't then it won't be achieved. 

I acknowledge that at Falmouth Town we are riding on the crest of a wave and hopefully it will be kept going, but all this has been achieved, not by having a Sugar Daddy who could walk away at any time, but by getting the supporter back into the ground...and loving what he sees.

Winning games is what creates atmosphere,  start losing and crowds dwindle.

Ride the wave for as long as it lasts, but well done from me - enjoy it.

I went to watch Falmouth v Wendron last night. I must admit, I didn't expect the quick start that the two sides produced. Having said that, I don't think anybody would've done. A very sloppy start defensively by both teams. A couple of Falmouth's goals in the first half may have looked pretty on the eye, although they largely came about because Wendron either gave the ball away in danger areas, or a case of just allowing Falmouth far too much room to run in and shoot. I thought Wendron gave a better account of themselves in the second half. But they weren't anywhere near dangerous enough to match the goals Falmouth had already scored. Quality prevailed in the end and Falmouth comfortably ran out winners. On another note, a very impressive crowd for a wet, drizzly Friday evening. Without a doubt, Falmouth is the place to be at the moment with regards to the local football scene.

On 13/11/2021 at 12:57, mattelot said:

Cheers Nig. Its been a collective effort by a band of mates. A determination to awake the sleeping giant which is Falmouth Town FC. Many of us were guilty of neglecting Town for many years, everyone has their story of why, mine was moving away from Falmouth to work 30+ years ago. 

Its been and awesome 3 or 4 years and for me an absolute pleasure doing the miles. If you ask me what are the key factors  in building up the fan base, my reasons would be....

A brilliant chairman who together with James Miller and others worked so hard to save the magical Bickland Park. A ground steeped in history and tradition. That was vital.

A manager who loves the club, a local Oldhill boy who knows and understands what Falmouth Town is all about. Step forward Andrew Westgarth. Allied to this is a very determined and focused young man who is determined to restore Town back to a successful club, on and off the pitch.

A group of old Town fans who had the drive to push and push with a real determination to make matchday special. The boom box, flags, banners, horns and an F-Troop not afraid to express themselves in song and chants to create an atmosphere. Matchday is not just about the football. Also a group of men and women who work hard behind the scenes to keep everything ticking over.

Encouraging young kids to come along, free admission for those under 16. And they love Worzel and Beardy who dress up in different outfits every home game to entertain not just the kids lol. We all love them.

The F-Troop raise money to help the club and also raise money for charity, indeed this Saturday after the FA Vase game we are holding an F-Troop disco at our clubhouse and all money raised is going to the breast cancer charity. We have raised money for several clubs where we have played on matchdays, i remember a couple of years ago we did a collection for Dobwalls after hearing about their fire, just a shame they banned us from using our boom box at their ground a couple of months ago.  People see all this and feel they want to be involved, its not all about winning game after game, although obviously that helps.

These are my thoughts on the resurgence of Falmouth Town. Winning is great as some have said but its not the be all and end all in my opinion. Its more about creating a party atmosphere on matchday, encouraging everyone to come along and make them feel wanted. The F-Troop is a family and will be around for many years to come. Jeff UTT

1 hour ago, Jeff Chambers said:

Cheers Nig. Its been a collective effort by a band of mates. A determination to awake the sleeping giant which is Falmouth Town FC. Many of us were guilty of neglecting Town for many years, everyone has their story of why, mine was moving away from Falmouth to work 30+ years ago. 

Its been and awesome 3 or 4 years and for me an absolute pleasure doing the miles. If you ask me what are the key factors  in building up the fan base, my reasons would be....

A brilliant chairman who together with James Miller and others worked so hard to save the magical Bickland Park. A ground steeped in history and tradition. That was vital.

A manager who loves the club, a local Oldhill boy who knows and understands what Falmouth Town is all about. Step forward Andrew Westgarth. Allied to this is a very determined and focused young man who is determined to restore Town back to a successful club, on and off the pitch.

A group of old Town fans who had the drive to push and push with a real determination to make matchday special. The boom box, flags, banners, horns and an F-Troop not afraid to express themselves in song and chants to create an atmosphere. Matchday is not just about the football. Also a group of men and women who work hard behind the scenes to keep everything ticking over.

Encouraging young kids to come along, free admission for those under 16. And they love Worzel and Beardy who dress up in different outfits every home game to entertain not just the kids lol. We all love them.

The F-Troop raise money to help the club and also raise money for charity, indeed this Saturday after the FA Vase game we are holding an F-Troop disco at our clubhouse and all money raised is going to the breast cancer charity. We have raised money for several clubs where we have played on matchdays, i remember a couple of years ago we did a collection for Dobwalls after hearing about their fire, just a shame they banned us from using our boom box at their ground a couple of months ago.  People see all this and feel they want to be involved, its not all about winning game after game, although obviously that helps.

These are my thoughts on the resurgence of Falmouth Town. Winning is great as some have said but its not the be all and end all in my opinion. Its more about creating a party atmosphere on matchday, encouraging everyone to come along and make them feel wanted. The F-Troop is a family and will be around for many years to come. Jeff UTT

Load of bleddy noisy sods...but you will have to keep winning to keep it at its present level.

And...that is a football fact...but best of luck from me.

1 hour ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Load of bleddy noisy sods...but you will have to keep winning to keep it at its present level.

I wouldn't say its just a football fact Baks, its a fact of every sport everywhere. Its the ups and downs which makes it special. If it was not stop success and that was the norm then people would probably become complacent with that. We love a roller coaster, success means more when you've suffered defeats. But whatever happens with results in the future Town will be fine support wise.    

3 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Rules of supporting any football team should be as follows;

Humility and gratitude when it's going well. Optimism, enthusiasm and loyalty when it's not.

Enjoy the good times at Falmouth and savour every moment of it. Success can be a fleeting thing on the football pitch, and disappear as quickly as it arrived.

During my football watching days, fans of Newquay, St Blazey, Liskeard, Saltash and yes, Falmouth, have  experienced good times which they thought would go on and on, then darker times which looked indefinite . Falmouth have come come back from these before (and are doing so again), some clubs don't.

6 hours ago, Jeff Chambers said:

I wouldn't say its just a football fact Baks, its a fact of every sport everywhere. Its the ups and downs which makes it special. If it was not stop success and that was the norm then people would probably become complacent with that. We love a roller coaster, success means more when you've suffered defeats. But whatever happens with results in the future Town will be fine support wise.    

Nothing lasts forever Jeff...enjoy the ride.

On 13/11/2021 at 10:58, Mark Jones said:

545 attendance is officially a Bickland record for a SWP League  game and is sure to be broken with the visit of Penryn Athletic on Boxing Day

9 minutes ago, Mike Odgers said:

545 attendance is officially a Bickland record for a SWP League  game and is sure to be broken with the visit of Penryn Athletic on Boxing Day

The Peninsula League attendance record must be in danger as well, Town must be thinking that an attendance close to the 1000 mark would be possible in the event of a Bickland title decider. Somebody has told me what the record is, but can't remember the figure or match .Know that Parkway got 680 at Bolitho for the league decider v Saltash in May 2014, but I'm sure there has been a higher figure.

43 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

The Peninsula League attendance record must be in danger as well, Town must be thinking that an attendance close to the 1000 mark would be possible in the event of a Bickland title decider. Somebody has told me what the record is, but can't remember the figure or match .Know that Parkway got 680 at Bolitho for the league decider v Saltash in May 2014, but I'm sure there has been a higher figure.

Highest Premier Division Attendance to date is still that one you mention WOTP - Premier Division 2013/14, Plymouth Parkway v Saltash Utd = 682

However there has been a higher SWPL attendance. It was in the Division 1 West 2008/09 Newquay v Godolphin = 737

In the League Cup its 2019/20 - Falmouth T v Saltash Utd = 690 

8 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Highest Premier Division Attendance to date is still that one you mention WOTP - Premier Division 2013/14, Plymouth Parkway v Saltash Utd = 682

However there has been a higher SWPL attendance. It was in the Division 1 West 2008/09 Newquay v Godolphin = 737

In the League Cup its 2019/20 - Falmouth T v Saltash Utd = 690 

Cheers Dave. Looking at those figures, I'm certain that ( as Mike has previously said) the record will be broken at Bickland this season.