Cornwall Football Forum

Respect where it’s deserved at Macclesfield FC

Well worth a watch, if only for the eye opening list of expenses and running costs that non league clubs have besides the playing budget (utilities, paying of staff, stewards, insurances, business rates, suppliers bills, repairs and upkeep of ground etc etc) that need to be paid for 52 weeks of a year, when the bulk of the revenue comes in a 40 week season. I'm sure many committee folk on here are only too familiar with this.

Helped greatly of course that a couple of multi millionaires in semi retired businessman Rob Smethurst and ex Premier League footballer Robbie Savage were putting in the initial money, but they were taken aback by the outlay required. Savage especially was shocked by the wages and expenses demands of players at step 6 level, especially as some of them appeared to have agents as well.  In the closing scenes Smethurst proudly declared that they were now "breaking even", can only assume that this was only operational costs and not the greater structural debt. Millions must have been spent on the new 3G pitch, renovating the ground, changing rooms, fitting out a high end bar/restaurant and building state of the art gym facilities. 

Struck me as well that Savage would be an absolute pain to have as a director of football, looked like he took every opportunity to cut across the manager from the sidelines and in the changing room.

7 minutes ago, Greygen said:

Absolutely. I was shocked to see him run down from the stand to give instructions to other players at one point, wouldn't be surprised if he is manager very very soon

Not manager, too much commitment and hard work (would also get judged on results). More likely a revolving door of ex professionals in the post. With high profile ownership and large investment, comes high expectations and low patience.

1 hour ago, Way Of The Park said:

Not manager, too much commitment and hard work (would also get judged on results). More likely a revolving door of ex professionals in the post. With high profile ownership and large investment, comes high expectations and low patience.

I agree with you and it is this revolving door of ex pros which we have seen happening at Salford. 

If I watch MOTD, I never listen to the "analysis" unless there has been an interesting, usually controversial, incident or it's my team.

Employing clowns like Ian Wright does the TV companies no favours. Same goes for many of the co-commentaters. Glenn Hoddle, really?

Gary Neville in a class of his own, much better than he was a player.

Danny Murphy and Clarke Carlisle, brilliant but used too infrequently.

And don't get me started on the Scousers. Arghhhh!

Still, each to his own.

20 hours ago, baldy said:

If I watch MOTD, I never listen to the "analysis" unless there has been an interesting, usually controversial, incident or it's my team.

Employing clowns like Ian Wright does the TV companies no favours. Same goes for many of the co-commentaters. Glenn Hoddle, really?

Gary Neville in a class of his own, much better than he was a player.

Danny Murphy and Clarke Carlisle, brilliant but used too infrequently.

And don't get me started on the Scousers. Arghhhh!

Still, each to his own.

Very rarely listen to 5 Live football coverage these days, but, after having stumbled across it recently, I was shocked by how far it had fallen. In place of authoritative voices of the past such as Jimmy Armfield, Trevor Brooking, Bob Wilson and Terry Butcher, you now have rent a gobs such as Chris Sutton, Robbie Savage, Danny Mills and Micah Richards. All pretence at analysis and insight seems to have gone, and is replaced by rants and opinions. All of which are aimed at generating more phone calls from irate idiots and social media heat and clicks.

9 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Very rarely listen to 5 Live football coverage these days, but, after having stumbled across it recently, I was shocked by how far it had fallen. In place of authoritative voices of the past such as Jimmy Armfield, Trevor Brooking, Bob Wilson and Terry Butcher, you now have rent a gobs such as Chris Sutton, Robbie Savage, Danny Mills and Micah Richards. All pretence at analysis and insight seems to have gone, and is replaced by rants and opinions. All of which are aimed at generating more phone calls from irate idiots and social media heat and clicks.

If you think 5 Live is bad, then do yourself a favour and avoid Talksport as it’s a million times worse !!