Cornwall Football Forum

RESULTS - Lge & Senior Cup - Friday & Saturday 5 & 6 November 2021

Dobwalls 2 Penryn 2 (Dobwalls won 3.0 on penalties)

This was a cracking game of end to end football with both sides giving 100%.

The hosts who had a number of regulars missing and only 1 on the bench started the brighter and went in front from the in form Danny Zallick.

Penryn drew level when the keeper parried a shot which the visitors took advantage of heading home from close range.

Extra time was needed and the hosts again took the lead which was short lived as Penryn again drew level.

Despite both sides pressing for the winner the game ended all square and penalties were needed.

The Dobwalls keeper saved all 3 of the visitors attempts whilst the hosts scored with all of theirs and move forward into the draw for the next round.

2 hours ago, Pedro said:

Dobwalls 2 Penryn 2 (Dobwalls won 3.0 on penalties)

This was a cracking game of end to end football with both sides giving 100%.

The hosts who had a number of regulars missing and only 1 on the bench started the brighter and went in front from the in form Danny Zallick.

Penryn drew level when the keeper parried a shot which the visitors took advantage of heading home from close range.

Extra time was needed and the hosts again took the lead which was short lived as Penryn again drew level.

Despite both sides pressing for the winner the game ended all square and penalties were needed.

The Dobwalls keeper saved all 3 of the visitors attempts whilst the hosts scored with all of theirs and move forward into the draw for the next round.

Missing penalties has been costly for us this year...ARGGHHHH!!!!!

21 hours ago, Footy follower said:

Phil. Does tend to have a very biased view of Saltash.. He's entitled to that as a fan.... But it makes his opinions hardly worth reading tbh

Isn't Phil now the Ashes Sec... so not going to hear much in the way of critique from him publicly moving forward perhaps?

That said, I don't find his alleged bias any more pronounced than fans of other teams.

Football is about opinions and always like to see Phil's take as I go to most Ashes home games and the occasional away fixture. 

I'm not very partisan tho' - been to over 30 games in Kernow this season and a handful too over the Tamar. To date no club has 'captured' me like Buckland did...

2 hours ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Isn't Phil now the Ashes Sec... so not going to hear much in the way of critique from him publicly moving forward perhaps?

That said, I don't find his alleged bias any more pronounced than fans of other teams.

Football is about opinions and always like to see Phil's take as I go to most Ashes home games and the occasional away fixture. 

I'm not very partisan tho' - been to over 30 games in Kernow this season and a handful too over the Tamar. To date no club has 'captured' me like Buckland did...

Indeed I am. I had to ring CCFA today and had a chat about this weekend and some forum comments . Had a giggle about it. 

Bear in mind, as a traffic warden of some 17 years and counting it’s all water off a ducks back. I’ll give it and take it. Part of the fun. 

To be fair - football secretary is a posh name for administrative bod! Takes up more time than you’d think and it’s give and take. 

Now you can start the traffic warden jokes (yellow peril), how do I sleep at night (very well ask your partner) you’re a b****** (nope my Dad is alive and well). 

See- I do have a sense of humour….. 

On 07/11/2021 at 21:44, Gareth Davies said:

The game started as it finished with referee James Long at the centre of controversy although certainly in the game’s opening stages, the merry whistle blower made the correct call. Bowker was offside running onto Tom Hands’ through ball and with Long unaware of the assistant raising his flag, the much-travelled home hitman was upended by Liskeard custodian Luke Gwillam. Referee Long pointed to the penalty spot, but after appeals from both sides, and consultation with his assistant, the offside decision stood and penalty decision reversed. 

Having reviewed the game footage, it would appear that the INCORRECT decision was reached on this occasion.

Helston's attacker wasn't guilty of any of the criteria for an offside offence to have been committed:

Play the ball - X

Challenge an opponent or physically impact their ability to play the ball - X

Gain an advantage from his position - X

Once the defender deliberately plays the ball back to his own keeper, the offside is reset and the attacker isn't, in law, considered to have gained an advantage.

James doesn't know me but I'm sure, with his knowledge of the game, he'll agree with this. One of the pitfalls of a linesperson with minimal experience and a some gaps in their understanding of law.

2 hours ago, Secret Referee said:

Having reviewed the game footage, it would appear that the INCORRECT decision was reached on this occasion.

Helston's attacker wasn't guilty of any of the criteria for an offside offence to have been committed:

Play the ball - X

Challenge an opponent or physically impact their ability to play the ball - X

Gain an advantage from his position - X

Once the defender deliberately plays the ball back to his own keeper, the offside is reset and the attacker isn't, in law, considered to have gained an advantage.

James doesn't know me but I'm sure, with his knowledge of the game, he'll agree with this. One of the pitfalls of a linesperson with minimal experience and a some gaps in their understanding of law.

As much as i agree with what you have said, a deliberate act of passing the ball back to the keeper allows the offside rule to be ignored. AS it is deliberate, and not a flick off of the head etc, this would show the decision is incorrect. Strange for both linesman and referee to get this wrong.

The only question i have is, with the 3 instances you have given, does he not gain an advantage from his position? If he hadnt been so far offside, he wouldnt have been close enough to the ball to intercept the back pass?

Happy to be proven wrong as i am certainly not a ref lol

3 hours ago, SCFC said:

As much as i agree with what you have said, a deliberate act of passing the ball back to the keeper allows the offside rule to be ignored. AS it is deliberate, and not a flick off of the head etc, this would show the decision is incorrect. Strange for both linesman and referee to get this wrong.

The only question i have is, with the 3 instances you have given, does he not gain an advantage from his position? If he hadnt been so far offside, he wouldnt have been close enough to the ball to intercept the back pass?

Happy to be proven wrong as i am certainly not a ref lol

In law, once the defender has made that deliberate play, the attacker is deemed to have not gained an advantage.

It certainly feels like it SHOULD be offside but unfortunately, the laws of the game state otherwise.

Ultimately, being in an offside position is not an offence. It only becomes an offence when one of the those 3 points I mentioned above comes into play.

Stuart Bowker gains an advantage from his position without doubt, hence why the assistant referee flagged for offside. I’m not quite sure how you come to the conclusion that he doesn’t ‘Secret Referee’. I called it as such whilst commentating and when viewing the highlights, that backs up my initial judgement. 

It appears, Secret Referee, that your assumption that the assistant referee, who you erroneously labelled as a ‘linesperson with minimal experience and a (sic) some gaps in their understanding of law’ was correct. 

I thought the officials were brilliant on Saturday, although I was on the other side of the ground to the late handbags which resulted in a flurry of cards. Unsure if the referee got this right or wrong.

Also, although not confirmed officially by the CCFA, Helston or Liskeard, it has been claimed by the old fella who blogs about Millbrook that the incident will be investigated. 

4 hours ago, Gareth Davies said:

Stuart Bowker gains an advantage from his position without doubt, hence why the assistant referee flagged for offside. I’m not quite sure how you come to the conclusion that he doesn’t ‘Secret Referee’. I called it as such whilst commentating and when viewing the highlights, that backs up my initial judgement. 

It appears, Secret Referee, that your assumption that the assistant referee, who you erroneously labelled as a ‘linesperson with minimal experience and a (sic) some gaps in their understanding of law’ was correct. 

I thought the officials were brilliant on Saturday, although I was on the other side of the ground to the late handbags which resulted in a flurry of cards. Unsure if the referee got this right or wrong.

Also, although not confirmed officially by the CCFA, Helston or Liskeard, it has been claimed by the old fella who blogs about Millbrook that the incident will be investigated. 

I agree that it would appear that Helston striker gains an advantage.

However, IN LAW, it is clearly stated that once the defender deliberately plays the ball (which the Liskeard defender very clearly does) the attacker is not then considered to have gained an advantage.

Considering you’ve made a career in sports reporting, the least you could do is educate yourself on the laws of the game you report on.

As for the assistant referee, I understand it was their first ever game as an assistant. Therefore, I don’t feel it’s ‘erroneous’ to state they have minimal experience and they quite clearly do have some gaps in their knowledge of law. This isn’t intended to be a slight at that assistant as I don’t think it’s reasonable to expect a brand new assistant to make zero mistakes.

Heres a link to the laws of the game, in case you wish to read up on Law 11.

Page 94, first paragraph after the bullet points 😉

laws-of-the-game-2021-22?l=en

5 hours ago, Secret Referee said:

I agree that it would appear that Helston striker gains an advantage.

However, IN LAW, it is clearly stated that once the defender deliberately plays the ball (which the Liskeard defender very clearly does) the attacker is not then considered to have gained an advantage.

Considering you’ve made a career in sports reporting, the least you could do is educate yourself on the laws of the game you report on.

As for the assistant referee, I understand it was their first ever game as an assistant. Therefore, I don’t feel it’s ‘erroneous’ to state they have minimal experience and they quite clearly do have some gaps in their knowledge of law. This isn’t intended to be a slight at that assistant as I don’t think it’s reasonable to expect a brand new assistant to make zero mistakes.

Heres a link to the laws of the game, in case you wish to read up on Law 11.

Page 94, first paragraph after the bullet points 😉

laws-of-the-game-2021-22?l=en

On a slightly separate note, first ever game as a linesman being a highly competitive Senior Cup tie? Surely whoever has appointed him for the fixture needs to give their head a wobble

Not seen the incident but… I have seen others where the defender isn’t sure if the attacker is offside or not. As such, he deliberately plays the ball as any good defender should. If he makes a mistake with a back pass, the attacker, now deemed onside, can profit. Seeking to gain an advantage? Definitely.

4 hours ago, baldy said:

Not seen the incident but… I have seen others where the defender isn’t sure if the attacker is offside or not. As such, he deliberately plays the ball as any good defender should. If he makes a mistake with a back pass, the attacker, now deemed onside, can profit. Seeking to gain an advantage? Definitely.

I believe the term "seeking to gain an advantage" was removed from the Laws of the Game about 10-15 years ago

45 minutes ago, Robin Tucker said:

I believe the term "seeking to gain an advantage" was removed from the Laws of the Game about 10-15 years ago

Yes, I should have put it quotes myself.

Seems like we're going back to the bad old days of "played on".

However you describe it, it's wrong IMO.

4 minutes ago, Clubman said:

I think a point is being missed here, the pass which led to the goal was not made by an attacking player but by a defender passing the ball towards his own goalkeeper, therefore regardless of the attackers position he did not receive the ball from a forward pass by a team mate. Not offside. 

Honestly, thank you so so so much for putting this. Isn't much going on between some peoples ears here isn't that hard to understand.

Listening to the podcast this morning and Gareth Davies is still sticking to his guns that it was the right decision. 

Shame he can't be bothered to learn or listen to some more qualified company on here. You'd like to think that a professional sports reporter wouldn't spread false information in the public domain.

Having just rewatched it.... Bowker is given offside when the ball is played through to him.... Its not about whether he was in an offside position when the defender subsequently played the ball back after(as a separate incident he wdnt be offside in this case) 

Just to clarify there...... If he hadn't flagged immediately(as with var) it may well not be offside but local football.. Without the ability to constantly wait for a passage of play to finish.... I would expect the assistant to flag Bowker offside 

So I guess everyone's right. Haha

15 hours ago, Secret Referee said:

At Western League level, with buzzer flags, the wait and see approach is expected.

Agree completely that in any game without qualified assistants that will likely be given as offside.

Doesn't change the fact that, as far as the Laws of the Game are concerned, it’s onside. 

Not all referees at that level have buzzers though.

6 hours ago, bighairydave said:

Not all referees at that level have buzzers though.

Correct, without buzzers then the expectation is still to wait and see and if in doubt, signal once the ball is dead. 

If the balls runs out for a GK or defence regain possession then you play on. If a goal, corner or PK is the end result then a flag and discussion with the man in the middle.