Cornwall Football Forum

Saltash Borough Ladies 1 Sticker Ladies 9

Saltash Borough Ladies 1  Sticker Ladies 9

Sticker Ladies good form continued with a 9-1 win at Saltash Borough on Sunday, but the result didn’t reflect the quality of their opponents who drew the best out of their visitors with a strong performance of their own. Sticker took the lead through Ellisha Davies, but the hosts hit back quickly through Sam Metters with a fine finish from distance. Sticker began to dominate proceedings and when sharpshooter Tori Marks fired them back in front Sticker were always in control, they were made to work hard for the three points though and even when Marks grabbed a third and her second Saltash continued to battle. Captain Lauren Bennett nodded in a fourth from Marks’s pin-point corner to complete a first half of high-quality football from the two teams. Marks bagged her hattrick early in the second period swiftly followed by a sweetly struck shot from Abby Trudgeon. Jess Elliott kept her scoring run going grabbing Sticker’s seventh goal then Marks hit her fourth leaving the talented midfielder Nels Barros to finish the scoring with a wonder strike from fully 30 yards into the top left corner. Manager Andy Hoskin was full of praise for his team saying “We had to be at our best or the score line could have been much different, Saltash are a good side, but we reacted to the challenge well and played some lovely stuff today. Both new signings Annie Richards and Janine Butterly settled in well, showed their experience, football ability and looked like they had been a part of the squad for ages”.

Star player for Sticker was Tori Marks bang in form, scored another four goals and worked hard to track back and put the challenges in.  

Team. B.O'Brien, J.Smith, L.Bennett, J.Butterly, A.Richards, M.Albury, A.Trudgeon, N.Barros, J.Hitchings, E.Davey, T.Marks.Subs: J.Elliot, R.Player, L.Rothero          

Well done Sticker, we didn't realise they were up this way or we would have paid the game a visit.
From following the South West Peninsula League where Sticker are one of the participants, we don't remember that Sticker have included a ladies team on their website before this season.
If this is correct, they certainly seem to have struck gold with the players they have found to represent their club, who now sit at the top of their league.
We watched the England v New Zealand ladies rugby, and a couple of ladies football games on T.V. yesterday, we feel they could teach the men a thing or two about cheating, complaining, and discipline, a welcome relief for the spectators of the mens game enjoyment.

22 hours ago, Keith B said:

The women as usual (?) can indeed teach their male counterparts a thing or two, or three. 

After checking the Full Time ladies stat information, if the chart is correct, and there is no reason to suspect it isn't, after 19 games and numerous goals scored only ONE CARD ( YELLOW ) has been issued in the league this season !
Because the girls are not competitive ? don't you believe it !

33 minutes ago, We Two said:

After checking the Full Time ladies stat information, if the chart is correct, and there is no reason to suspect it isn't, after 19 games and numerous goals scored only ONE CARD ( YELLOW ) has been issued in the league this season !
Because the girls are not competitive ? don't you believe it !

If it’s anything like some of the mens leagues, how accurate is the data?

50 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

If it’s anything like some of the mens leagues, how accurate is the data?

Having watched both genders play the game all over the U.K. our guess is that data is pretty accurate, and as keith B. says, the standard of refereeing is as good as in the mens game ( Same referees probably as ladies games are mostly on a Sunday )
We spoke to a referee after a ladies game in Manchester, and his opinion was that it was much less hassel to referee a ladies game as his decisions were generally accepted without dissent, and his overall enjoyment of the womens game was preferred to the mens game.
It should be mentioned that this comment was made by a professional referee who officiates at both mens and womens professional games.

2 hours ago, Keith B said:

Now now Dave 🙂. Having watched a lot of women's football on TV, I suspect the info/stats are pretty accurate. Yes, the women's game is hard fought as We Two says with no quarter given and there are bookings, but not as many as in the men's game in my experience. The standard of refereeing is as good as in the men's game too I should add. 

There was a straight red (for denying a goal scoring opportunity) in the Helston vs Liverton game on 24th October so evidently there are some gaps in the data.

52 minutes ago, Lannowethian said:

There was a straight red (for denying a goal scoring opportunity) in the Helston vs Liverton game on 24th October so evidently there are some gaps in the data.

We must admit that we only scanned the div 1 data, but overall the womens football teams come nowhere near the mens teams in terms of bookings, respect shown to officials, etc, etc and remain as an example as to how the game should be played !
There is a distinct lack of prima donnas in the female game at the moment.  

On 01/11/2021 at 07:42, We Two said:

Well done Sticker, we didn't realise they were up this way or we would have paid the game a visit.
From following the South West Peninsula League where Sticker are one of the participants, we don't remember that Sticker have included a ladies team on their website before this season.
If this is correct, they certainly seem to have struck gold with the players they have found to represent their club, who now sit at the top of their league.
We watched the England v New Zealand ladies rugby, and a couple of ladies football games on T.V. yesterday, we feel they could teach the men a thing or two about cheating, complaining, and discipline, a welcome relief for the spectators of the mens game enjoyment.

It is the first time Sticker have had a ladies team so that's why you have not seen it on our website before. Manager Andy Hosking who has a wealth of experience managing girls/ladies team(Charlestown etc.)  asked the committee if he could start one and use the clubs facilities and club colours. He was given 100% support. I then proceeded to collate all the info from him and added it to the website so the ladies can keep up to date with what's going on!

50 minutes ago, Keith B said:

Lack of volunteers - or lack of interest. It's surprising how many folk who like their football, also like others to do all the work for them whilst they just watch the football. But then perhaps it's not surprising (?).

Not just in the football world Keith, it's endemic in sections of todays society who see it as their right and an achievement to get something without making any effort.
The biggest problem facing clubs of many kinds at present, is where are the people to take on the mantle of the present staff who work many hours often free of charge just to maintain their clubs existence.
Grassroot clubs rely on volunteers to be able to exist, and when they are no longer available it will be the demise of some clubs who will suddenly realise that it isn't all about what's in the trophy cabinet that keeps them going.

On 03/11/2021 at 08:04, We Two said:

Well done with the reports on the club website Razor, unfortunately it's a rarity for a club to have someone to update their site on a regular basis, in fact some club websites haven't been used for years.
Another case of a lack of volunteers no doubt !

When I first Joined the committee 15 years ago after retiring and moving to Sticker and watching the team on a Saturday ECPL then. I asked who ran the website or rather who didn't. I was asked was I volunteering and said yes of course I would be more than happy to manage it! It was then on the Microsoft Front Page platform and when that died I got in touch with Pixelism(Newquay) and it was he who set up the new website which you see to-day. This system is much better as I can update it via my mobile phone as well as my laptop. I only wish more clubs would use this facility as it is frustrating to view other clubs websites as some are not kept up to date! The club pay a small annual management fee to Pixelism for this facility and he is so helpful if you run into problems!

1 minute ago, razor61 said:

I first Joined the committee 15 years ago

In todays medium of committee members ( or lack of em ) your term of 15 years will qualify for a gold watch soon.
As a matter of interest, how many on your committee can beat your term with the club ?

2 minutes ago, We Two said:

In todays medium of committee members ( or lack of em ) your term of 15 years will qualify for a gold watch soon.
As a matter of interest, how many on your committee can beat your term with the club ?

Quite a number We Two I am but a youngster in comparison. the Chairman, club secretary, treasurer and at least 7 of the other committee have been there much longer than me thats why the club is so well run I believe! The Chairman took over from his dad many years ago!

7 minutes ago, razor61 said:

Quite a number We Two I am but a youngster in comparison. the Chairman, club secretary, treasurer and at least 7 of the other committee have been there much longer than me thats why the club is so well run I believe! The Chairman took over from his dad many years ago!

Well that explains a lot about your club Razor, as anyone in that position will tell you, you cannot replace continuity of personnel whether on the field of play or off the field and in the committee room, providing they are involved in the successful running of the club.
Well done the club is a credit to you all judging from the few visits we have made there.

On 04/11/2021 at 21:04, We Two said:

Well that explains a lot about your club Razor, as anyone in that position will tell you, you cannot replace continuity of personnel whether on the field of play or off the field and in the committee room, providing they are involved in the successful running of the club.
Well done the club is a credit to you all judging from the few visits we have made there.

Just another stat for you We Two at least six of the current Committee played for Sticker many years ago too!