Cornwall Football Forum

Piran Films

Have enjoyed the highlights put together by Piran Films since the start of the season 

However have been disappointed over the past few weeks with a few incidents, first of all, the highlights put together for the Millbrook game appear to have been done so with the deliberate intention of criticising the official on the night.  The highlights thumbnail even stirring it up with the title “ controversial or what”.

There is no doubting that the highlights ignited a string of discussions which ended with the officials being criticised, I find this nothing short of disgraceful  

Even Last week the game between Helston and Tavistock was described as a ‘Feisty Affair’ again with the referee plastered all over the thumbnail.  

Then this past weekend, Bitton decided they didn’t want the game filmed at their ground so what do piran do? A series of interviews attacking that decision. Just who do they think they are? It’s surely up to the home side as to if they want the game filmed. It also doesn’t matter if they told Piran 1 week or 1 minute in advance.  It’s their ground and therefore their prerogative. 

I would not be shocked to see other clubs refusing you entry into their grounds if this attitude continues which would be a shame 

I understand that the money man at Helston pays you so he’s your client, but please try to do your job with a little more professionalism when things don’t go according to plan. 

Bloody he’ll it’s not exactly sky sports. It’s just a local club putting out highlights for everyone to enjoy. I actually look forward to watching it I’m sure every player that plays when it’s filmed looks forward to watching thier  goals on a weekend. 
just embrace it. 
If you had never watched it yourself you have nothing to moan  about as you have  no idea what decision  were as there would  be no video of it 

3 minutes ago, FutureGK said:

Piran films is being paid to do a job… the quality of the work is generally excellent, but the whole Helston circus is becoming narcissistic …

Bragging on social media will do nothing other than to bring negative attention to their own club and Cornish football…. 

What amounts to online bullying against other managers will be frowned up by the FA and it’s only a matter of time before the taxman takes a long hard look at their books …

To be fair Dane can give it out as much as take it. Seen plenty of videos of Saltash lot celebrating and singing songs taking the mick. It’s all part of the fun and adds to the rivalry 

I was at the Helston vs Millbrook match. To have published highlights not focussing on the refereeing wouldn’t have been an accurate reflection of the game. That night, the refereeing was the most influential and noteworthy thing to report on (not to mention the moment of high comedy when the ref spent 2 minutes lecturing a Millbrook defender despite being told by players from both teams and by the supporters that the foul had been committed by a different player). 

2 hours ago, The Observer__ said:

Have enjoyed the highlights put together by Piran Films since the start of the season 

However have been disappointed over the past few weeks with a few incidents, first of all, the highlights put together for the Millbrook game appear to have been done so with the deliberate intention of criticising the official on the night.  The highlights thumbnail even stirring it up with the title “ controversial or what”.

There is no doubting that the highlights ignited a string of discussions which ended with the officials being criticised, I find this nothing short of disgraceful  

Even Last week the game between Helston and Tavistock was described as a ‘Feisty Affair’ again with the referee plastered all over the thumbnail.  

Then this past weekend, Bitton decided they didn’t want the game filmed at their ground so what do piran do? A series of interviews attacking that decision. Just who do they think they are? It’s surely up to the home side as to if they want the game filmed. It also doesn’t matter if they told Piran 1 week or 1 minute in advance.  It’s their ground and therefore their prerogative. 

I would not be shocked to see other clubs refusing you entry into their grounds if this attitude continues which would be a shame 

I understand that the money man at Helston pays you so he’s your client, but please try to do your job with a little more professionalism when things don’t go according to plan. 

Dont watch it then...simples.

54 minutes ago, The Observer__ said:

What a non-constructive comment. 

My first paragraph states I have enjoyed it on the whole.  However felt I wanted to comment on the recent few weeks. 

A constructive one then.

You have enjoyed watching it in the past, but not as much so now.

Don't watch it then.

Widening the debate slightly, just shows what has been lost by not having coverage of the local game by real journalists (although the Voice and a few others are looking to rectify this). Alhough there has never been more coverage of teams and matches , the various social media outlets and their ease and speed of use have enabled this, and though many club's presentation is great (and only getting better), the quality and impartiality of the information is sometimes open to question. I know the gent who does the Parkway match reports, and they are generally very honest and say it how he sees it, but many are undoubtedly "one eyed." You can quite often get contradictory views on one match (and incidents within it) from the two opposing clubs social media, and equally, highlights packages can be edited to not show things that are not flattering, or fit the narrative. All this output, including that from Piran Films, has to be viewed and read critically, and understood that it is not coming from independent sources, but is going to reflect the views and allegiances of those that present and pay for it.

What constitutes a "real" journalist? Surely journalism is like every supporter - opinion and interpretation. Nobody is forced to watch the videos and with regards to being narcissistic, I think every/most clubs can be guilty of that - there are lots of examples on here of self-promotion - it helps draw newcomers in to see what all the "fuss" is about.  There does seem to be an unbalanced bandwagon of negativity towards Helston and Mr Massey is not everyone's cup of tea but why aren't some of the things levelled against him levelled at other clubs when they are quite clearly doing the same thing - no one says anything when other clubs sign more and more players when they are doing very well with what they have got. I suppose it's Helston this season and next it will be someone  else. Jealousy or just not knowing the full facts I guess.

With regards to the treatment of referees, are we to only speak about them in glowing terms saying how wonderful they are? Nanny state comes to mind. I know all the arguments for referees walking away from the game but why can we say that a player was rubbish but not the referee - I often read that a referee had a good game, so there is that balance. I've played in games absolutely destroyed by poor refereeing and equally by bad football so everybody just needs to suck it up.

16 hours ago, The Observer__ said:

I for one enjoy watching it. Local football is great with these on & off the field rivalries. The characters and gossip it creates, keeps everything interesting. Its what its all about.

The highlights package is fantastic, just because you dont agree with how its been put together, doesn't mean its 'disgraceful'.  

I think you need to get back to 'observing' or just change your name to The Complainer.

22 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Bloody he’ll it’s not exactly sky sports. It’s just a local club putting out highlights for everyone to enjoy. I actually look forward to watching it I’m sure every player that plays when it’s filmed looks forward to watching thier  goals on a weekend. 
just embrace it. 
If you had never watched it yourself you have nothing to moan  about as you have  no idea what decision  were as there would  be no video of it 

To be fair Dane can give it out as much as take it. Seen plenty of videos of Saltash lot celebrating and singing songs taking the mick. It’s all part of the fun and adds to the rivalry 

To be fair- Saltash lads and manager don’t sing against other clubs on the coach. Unless you call murdering Maggie May last Saturday in a form even Simon Cowell would struggle to call music. 🤣 

I like the Piran Films coverage. I take the occasional bias with a pinch of salt. Football is about opinions. It is noticeable that Mr Massey waxes lyrical after a win, but often not interviewed after a lesser result.

More clubs upping their game media wise would surely help boost with wider Cornish game.

Not a Blues fan, I have qualms about their approach and long term sustainability, but in many ways their professional manner is to be respected. Its up to each club to decide the best way to run it.

The carping at Massey & Helston is not always deserved. I look forward to more Piran Films output.

15 hours ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

I like the Piran Films coverage. I take the occasional bias with a pinch of salt. Football is about opinions. It is noticeable that Mr Massey waxes lyrical after a win, but often not interviewed after a lesser result.

More clubs upping their game media wise would surely help boost with wider Cornish game.

Not a Blues fan, I have qualms about their approach and long term sustainability, but in many ways their professional manner is to be respected. Its up to each club to decide the best way to run it.

The carping at Massey & Helston is not always deserved. I look forward to more Piran Films output.

I have to agree. Aside from whether a blues fan or not, I enjoy watching the highlights from the game - a bit like a snippet of non league Match of the Day. I wish more clubs did the same - but i understand it comes at a cost. I do like how Piran films show the red cards and dubious decisions... I noticed that Ashes TV when facing Bitton, did not include the several red card incidents that occurred and so felt like we were missing pieces of the puzzle when the goals were going in

2 hours ago, SCFC said:

I have to agree. Aside from whether a blues fan or not, I enjoy watching the highlights from the game - a bit like a snippet of non league Match of the Day. I wish more clubs did the same - but i understand it comes at a cost. I do like how Piran films show the red cards and dubious decisions... I noticed that Ashes TV when facing Bitton, did not include the several red card incidents that occurred and so felt like we were missing pieces of the puzzle when the goals were going in

The worst bit about that is the reds weren't even mentioned 

On 20/10/2021 at 09:20, SCFC said:

Agree entirely SCFC! However, the Bitton game I think involved an intervention from the Cornish FA - see Dave Bishop's Chairman's Blog. So for this game I can understand  Ashes TV not showing the more contentious points. Having been at that game tbey were right this time. The Piran Films production more professional, rounded and expensive. Sometimes it becomes almost Massey TV and that can be a bit dull. Brevity not Steve's strong point, although great to see an ex-pro having such a love for the grassroots game.

I think and I’ll choose my words carefully as Ashes Secretary- but the club concerned in S Gloucestershire aren’t high in the making friends stakes.

It’s a situation which was so much more aware given the tremendous welcome and help we got at Shepton Mallet in subsequent game and at other WL clubs we’ve been too like Bridgwater, Brislington, Clevedon and yes Helston and Mousehole.

When even dietary factors are taken into account for players at Shepton - that gives you the idea of what should be - no question no issue was too much trouble for myself, players, officials and supporters who chatted away happily with Shepton.  

On 18/10/2021 at 17:43, The Observer__ said:

Thanks for starting this thread last week, I only noticed it last night on the Helston coach travelling back from Oldland Abbotonians so have not had a chance to respond. In fact looking at the rest of the contributions a number of the issues that you raised have been addressed so I won't say too much that has not already been said.

1. I do not deliberately have a go at the officials. I try to speak to them before the game, wish them well; I also try and chat about incidents if I have a chance after the game and congratulate them on their performances as I did yesterday. The ref was only 21 and had a great game. Dave and I praised him after the game. Yes, I asked  him about OA's first goal and whether he saw it actually cross the line or was reliant on his lino. You'll have to watch the highlights and make your own minds up as to whether he got it right or not.

2. You are right though in detecting a recent change in style and content of the videos and particularly the thumbnails. I have become a "Youtuber" of late but don't worry, you will not see me introducing the programme with a "Wassup?" and wearing a baseball cap back to front. Youtubing has become a real challenge (bit like fantasy football) - I am keen to build the Piran Films channel and so I take it seriously. So yes the thumbnails are designed to be provocative/engaging and I will not shy away from controversy as was the case with Ashes TV's Saltash v Bitton. If there is a red car I will show it and focus on the incident. But essentially I aim to tell the story of the game as best I can and in an unbiased manner.

3. Last week's episode at Bitton was very tough to take. It really does matter whether we were told "one week or one minute in advance." I can cope with a club declining my offer to film the game, but not on the day of the game, when I am on the coach with all my gear and a commentator in tow. There is such a thing as courtesy and I try me best in that area. I expect it from others. Was the explanation OTT? I don't think so. Was it professional? That is for others to decide. We could really have gone to town but decided against that and just give the reason for us not filming the game.

4. Helston is the club I currently work with, but essentially I am seeking to promote non league football; hence the occasional Awayday video.

3 hours ago, baldy said:

I think I would have sought permission in advance and got it in writing. That’s what professionals do in most occupations.

What do you take me for? I emailed the secretary of the club but got no reply. This happens sometimes. Little did I know that the one I wrote to had left the club earlier in the season

and did not forward my request to the new secretary. The latter wrote to Helston's chairman with all the documentation but no mention of their policy on filming matches. I trailed the filming of the game on Social Media, so why did they only inform Paul Hendy on the Saturday morning when we were on the road?

On 18/10/2021 at 18:42, FutureGK said:

It’s an open forum for discussion, when persons, put themselves in the public eye they are open to public opinion …. 

I am very happy to debate issues related to Piran Films. I enjoy it really.....

On 19/10/2021 at 10:11, mockey jackson said:

If some teams have a big vase game or fa cup game coming up I could see why they wouldn’t want highlights on social media, potentially showing strong or weak points in their team or even style of play or certain set pieces 

That is a moot point. When I worked with Glynn Hooper and the other guys with the Cornwall U18s that went all the way to the FA County Youth Cup Final at the Hive Barnet, we were asked by the Middlesex coaches "Why we put the highlights videos on You Tube for all to see?" They recognised Dave Deacon and Steve Massey as soon as we entered the venue. Glynn's reply was in the form of a question: "How many of your Middlesex clubs know that this game is on?" He went on to say that every dug-out in Cornwall would be asking how the Cornish boys were getting on. The videos are still up there on my Piran Films You Tube Channel and I know the boys enjoyed and still enjoy having access to them.

On 19/10/2021 at 10:20, The Big Bad Fox said:

I for one enjoy watching it. Local football is great with these on & off the field rivalries. The characters and gossip it creates, keeps everything interesting. Its what its all about.

The highlights package is fantastic, just because you dont agree with how its been put together, doesn't mean its 'disgraceful'.  

I think you need to get back to 'observing' or just change your name to The Complainer.

Thank you Sir. There aren't many counties where they have such a large, knowledgeable and well supported non league family like we do down here in Cornwall. Dave Deacon deserves great credit for all the work he puts in and the infrastructure that he has created over the years.

On 19/10/2021 at 17:46, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Thank you BSOTT.

1) I really try hard to maintain an independence and not to allow any bias to enter into my editing of a match. There has only ever been one occasion when a manager has asked me to add a few near misses from his side to my edit in the all years I have filmed games. I get a lot of positive comments from managers and players from  "opposing" teams, which always makes me smile. Why wouldn't I?

2) I think you'll find that Steve Massey has made himself available virtually after every game, including the FA Vase disaster at Old Abbotonians.

Piran Films do an excellent job with their highlights.  Very professionally put together.  Can only assume that the editing is unbiased as not at the game.  However, the commentary is far from unbiased.  Watch the Oldland - Helston highlights again if you want proof.

Have to say understandable though given that they cover them every week.  They are bound to form an attachment at some point.

16 hours ago, Piran said:

Thank you Sir. There aren't many counties where they have such a large, knowledgeable and well supported non league family like we do down here in Cornwall. Dave Deacon deserves great credit for all the work he puts in and the infrastructure that he has created over the years.

Thank you BSOTT.

1) I really try hard to maintain an independence and not to allow any bias to enter into my editing of a match. There has only ever been one occasion when a manager has asked me to add a few near misses from his side to my edit in the all years I have filmed games. I get a lot of positive comments from managers and players from  "opposing" teams, which always makes me smile. Why wouldn't I?

2) I think you'll find that Steve Massey has made himself available virtually after every game, including the FA Vase disaster at Old Abbotonians.

Keep up the good work which is enjoyed across Cornwall and not just by Blues fans. BTW not having a 'pop' at Steve either. I love that an ex-pro is so passionate about the game here.

8 hours ago, The Town Man said:

Piran Films do an excellent job with their highlights.  Very professionally put together.  Can only assume that the editing is unbiased as not at the game.  However, the commentary is far from unbiased.  Watch the Oldland - Helston highlights again if you want proof.

Have to say understandable though given that they cover them every week.  They are bound to form an attachment at some point.

Thanks for your observation about Dave Gibbins. I will share that with him.

7 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

I have to admit I was always a touch bias when it came to covering a Cornish side against a non-Cornish one. Difficult not to be! 

The Cornwall U19s run in the county youth cup springs to mind. It's an interesting discussion Dave.