Cornwall Football Forum

Porthleven FC: new chairman's statement

Hello folks. I blogged about Porthleven's League Cup game with Falmouth Town Reserves on Tuesday night and have now received a statement from Port's new chairman, Rob Hichens, about the club's plans for the future. Read all about it, as they say, at thecupfootballblogger.wordpress.com. See https://thecupfootballblogger.wordpress.com/2021/10/15/breaking-news-official-statement-from-porthleven-fc/

I have to say that as a newbie to Cornwall who is enjoying a ground hopping tour of grounds, I found Porthleven the only unwelcoming club I have visited. That they then withdrew from the league did not surprise me one little bit. No match day programme, no 50/50 on the day I visited, plus a grumpy guy on the turnstile who when asked why, replied we’re not doing them today. Ok, run your club how you want, but don’t be surprised if you encounter problems, because in the cold light of day, you might realise some of them are self inflicted. 

On 15/10/2021 at 20:34, Joe1970Johnson said:

I have to say that as a newbie to Cornwall who is enjoying a ground hopping tour of grounds, I found Porthleven the only unwelcoming club I have visited. That they then withdrew from the league did not surprise me one little bit. No match day programme, no 50/50 on the day I visited, plus a grumpy guy on the turnstile who when asked why, replied we’re not doing them today. Ok, run your club how you want, but don’t be surprised if you encounter problems, because in the cold light of day, you might realise some of them are self inflicted. 

I think I must of missed the Haynes Manual that got issued on how to run a club in Cornish football could someone send it to me 🤷🏻. Everyone is entitled to their opinion however it’s not a league rule to run a 50/50, smack a load of words into a 4 page programme with a team sheet that is out of date the moment it’s printed because it’s guaranteed someone will drop out due to girlfriend shopping pressure. Grassroots are run by volunteers, maybe they haven’t got time to do all the external periphery stuff because they are busy trying to get a team on the pitch cut them some slack! Personally every time I have visited Port they have been one of the most welcoming of clubs always willing to have a chat both before and after the match