Cornwall Football Forum

RESULTS - Tuesday 12 October 2021

Porthleven 1-0 Falmouth Town Reserves

I took this game in as a neutral, and with it being the first game I've watched in the St Piran West I have to say that I was quite impressed with the standard. Both teams passed the ball well and exerted a lot of effort in this back and forth match.

Falmouth started the brighter team and created a lot of chances early on but couldn't find the back of the net. Falmouth's number 9 did produce a cracking finish looping the ball over the keeper following a cross from the right, all whilst facing away from the goal. However, Porthleven's linesman flag belatedly and questionably went up. This was actually quite a theme of the game, with him also even trying to flag offside when a Porthleven player clearly played the ball back towards their own goal into the path of a Falmouth player. 

The first half was quite end to end, although Porthleven never really tested the Falmouth keeper, and with the number of chances Falmouth squandered, they will have felt frustrated to go in at half time at 0-0.

The second half started in much the same fashion as the first, with both teams exchanging possession frequently, and with neither side being able to provide the decisive final pass or shot. This theme continued throughout the 2nd half albeit with Falmouth's 1st half dominance in terms of chances created not being replicated in the 2nd half.

Porthleven continued working hard and following a set piece, the ball broke down on the edge of the box with Portleven's striker able to some how turn with his back to goal and surrounded by 2/3 Falmouth players, and be through on goal to calmly slot into the bottom corner.

Falmouth failed to provide a response and the game finished 1-0 to the home side. Falmouth will be left to rue all those missed first half chances in what could have been a comfortable evening for them had they taken a few, but Porthleven will be happy with the effort shown and taking their opportunity when it came.

One big talking point that I would like to raise, which unfortunately ruined a perfectly enjoyable evening and game of football, came in the first half. One of many robust challenges by a Porthleven player left the Falmouth midfielder in a pile on the ground, with a free kick duly awarded. As is typical with local football, the other side  disagreed. However, from where I was stood I was shocked to hear a homophobic slur shouted out from the direction of the Porthleven bench. I don't know who said it, nor do I know what any of the people on the bench look like, but I know what I heard. These sort of slurs have no place in society, and I hope that whoever said it (although I'm sure it will be denied, I've never met anyone who freely admits to being an ignorant homophobe) has a long think about what they said and the damage it could have on players, officials, and everyone else present at a game of football.

I was at the Porthleven game and agree with most of this report. It was an enjoyable cup tie. I was on the opposite side of the ground to the dugouts so can't comment on the the claim of a homophobic slur other than to say that something like that is simply not acceptable. I hope the club is taking steps to investigate these claims.