Cornwall Football Forum

Duncan Powell RIP

Dave Deacon

For those of you who don’t do Facebook I’m sorry but some more very sad news to share.

Last night I was made aware that Duncan Powell passed away yesterday.

Duncan will be remembered by many of us for his playing days with St Austell, Bugle, Newquay and Falmouth Town and he was also a great supporter of local football.

Loads of honours on the pitch - County Senior and Youth caps; SWL championships, SWL Cup wins, Senior Cup runners-up on a few occasions. More recently I know he enjoyed supporting St Austell.

Condolences go to his family (a real footballing family too) and close friends.

I know many have placed messages on their relevant Facebook groups but please add your messages and thoughts here as well for all to see.

RIP Duncan Powell

Duncan was probably the strongest,fittest and best of our age group during our schooldays.First came across him playing for Mount Charles,they hammered us and he was by far their best player and main scorer.Although mainly an opponent I did have the pleasure of playing with him for ST Austell YMCA and Bugle.Lovely boy from a lovely family who was a natural sportsman.Although I rarely saw him in recent years I am still left with some lovely memories of him as an opponent and teammate during our early years growing up in St Austell.Sincere Condolences to his family RIP Duncan 

Duncan came to Falmouth and was a perfect fit. The best utility player around and could literally play in any position including goalkeeper and never look out of place. 
He was a favourite with his team mates and supporters and certainly one of the fittest and finest men I knew. 
I was his room mate on trips and I got to know him and his family personally and it was easy to understand why he was the gentleman he was.
As yesterday’s news unfolded all his mates on our WhatsApp group were all clearly shaken. We only saw him at Dave Gardner’s Golf Day at Mullion in May, and just a few months later things have escalated to the point that he’s now passed away. 
To say I’m gutted can’t do it justice. And there is no justice when such a lovely guy is taken far too soon. 
My condolences go to Jan and the rest of his family and friends. 
RIP my dear mate. Go and play your best golf with Dave Gardner, he’ll have a set of clubs waiting for you. 💛🖤

Think Tommy has said it all perfectly as always. To say we’re all stunned is an understatement. So glad I bumped into Poweller a couple months ago in Fowey just by chance. We had a good 15/20 minute chat which mainly included me trying to get some golf tips off him and we had a good old reminisce about our cup final and championship winning teams we were team mates in all those years ago. That chat seems even more special now after hearing the devastating news yesterday. So many good times to remember, two in particular whenever I think of Poweller. Him and Tommy blasting around the pitch together setting the pace for all of us on those horrible 12 minute runs which they seemed to enjoy watching most of the rest of us suffer! Fit as fiddles! And as WOTP already mentioned that senior cup final when Gaz did his back in before kick off,  Poweller went up front with me and had twice the game I did that day! Mr Versatile was a phrase made for Poweller, could play literally anywhere on the pitch and would never let you down. He will fit in well with that Falmouth Legends team in the sky 💛🖤

Shocked and Saddened by the news that Duncan has passed away, it was only a couple of months ago that we chatted over the wall in his garden, 

Duncan was a true all round sportsman, played his football as we all know, but would add Riviera Coasters to the list, played for us in the ECPL when Falmouth Town were without a game. Played Cricket for St.Austell where he excelled with his fielding as well as being a useful bat coming in at 6 or 7.

Single handicap golfer being a member at Carlyon Bay GC.

Still stunned really, shall miss him in the village ( Charlestown ) always ready for a chat. 

Rest in Peace Duncan.

I spent hours sat in Duncan's sports shop, Alpha Sports, when I was in my teens. I played with and against Duncan and shared many a pint and many a story. A truly lovely man. Gentle, kind and one of St Austell's sporting giants and a special human being. Very sad news and mine and my families thoughts go out to all of his family.

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic turn out for Poweller today, must have been 250 people outside the church paying their respects to a top bloke. Lovely service and eulogy, could have picked some great teams from all Powellers old team mates and opponents that were there today. Fitting send off, just far too soon. God bless Duncs 👍💛🖤