Cornwall Football Forum

Truro City’s pathetic crowds

Well after seeing pictures of Tyler Harvey celebrating yesterday to a quite honestly “pathetic” crowd I do wonder wether there’s actually a positive future for TCFC? 
With crowds of 250+ at Helston and Tavi yesterday and other local teams pulling in decent attendances from the Peninsula leagues is it really a good move for a Club to push for constant promotions to reach the National Leagues? Falmouth Town are inevitably the next Club everyone’s looking at to push on and join Helston, Mousehole etc in the Western League and no doubt have an enviable following locally, not so sure they would have the numbers away when the trips become harder and further afield? 
I just feel the whole TCFC setup aren’t really sure of their own future themselves.

Is there actually an expectation of an away following in anything other than double figures? I doubt if many League clubs get more than about 10% of their home following follow them away, so if our clubs get 200-300 at home the expectation probably isn’t much more than 20 or so. And then with every Truro “home” game already being a 3hr round trip … 

18 hours ago, THEMAGPIE said:

Well after seeing pictures of Tyler Harvey celebrating yesterday to a quite honestly “pathetic” crowd I do wonder wether there’s actually a positive future for TCFC? 
With crowds of 250+ at Helston and Tavi yesterday and other local teams pulling in decent attendances from the Peninsula leagues is it really a good move for a Club to push for constant promotions to reach the National Leagues? Falmouth Town are inevitably the next Club everyone’s looking at to push on and join Helston, Mousehole etc in the Western League and no doubt have an enviable following locally, not so sure they would have the numbers away when the trips become harder and further afield? 
I just feel the whole TCFC setup aren’t really sure of their own future themselves.

In this current era, can a strong Falmouth Town and Truro City both attract decent crowds? Suspect that outside of the hardcore F-Troop, a lot float between the clubs, especially those that used to go to Treyew but now don't fancy the trip up to Bolitho. In the words of a former lecturer of mine, please discuss.

Will get accused of rabbiting on, but it is clear that the hoped for Plymouth neutrals and non travelling Parkway fans aren't turning up (the gate charges aren't helping). Of course, if Truro results pick up and they can get up towards the top of the table, then things could change

23 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

I’m not so sure they will! I think at the end of the day, a Truro City supporter has lost his identity with all that’s happened recently!

Agree Dave, I honestly think the Club as a whole has lost any sense of belonging, really bad move going to Bolitho park taking the football miles away from your fan base, so many other Clubs in the County have now made up so much ground on TCFC ie Falmouth, Helston and Mousehole to name a few.

Looking at the attendances in the division below ( i.e. Div One South), these are on aveage pretty much on a par with what Truro City are attracting now. As an aside, I watched some of the City Reserves match away at Homans (Camborne) on Saturday and there were practically no spectators at all. However, there was a decent crowd on the adjacent pitch watching a rugby match!

Remember when TCFC played at Treyew they did attract healthy crowds of 300 / 500 plus per game, better than Falmouth are getting now, so if ever they come back to Truro maybe they can do it again.

It would have to be their own ground though as if it was into a 6,000 seater stadium the atmosphere would kill them...there would be none.

54 minutes ago, THEMAGPIE said:

What was the thinking in playing at Parkway though?? These attendance figures surely prove a point!, I can’t help thinking that the poor support is also having an inevitable affect on the performances 

Covered elsewhere in the forum. Main points though are that the scale of work required wouldn't have made it achievable within the 6 month timeline that existed. Parkway had the designs, plans  and necessary planning permissions in place to satisfy their own ambitions, they were just brought forward a few years to cater for Truro ground sharing. Even then, it was a tremendous effort to get all this completed in time for pre season.

It's not just the stands and seating areas that would have needed work, but the pitch, ground perimeter fencing, changing facilities, spectator entrances, public address systems, floodlights and officials/directors hospitality facilities would have needed serious money spending at the Cornish grounds. Would recommend people reading the FA ground grading requirements document to fully understand the scale of what is required, then imagine how much money and time would have been needed to bring Priory Park or Bickland Park up to standard. My view is that is was poor planning to not see this issue coming down the track a few years ago, and a bit of planning and forward thinking would have kept City in Cornwall where they belong, and where their future (hopefully) remains.

Whilst forward planning could have helped its important its remembered that Truro City changed hands before the development option was instigated, so the new owners (Cornish Pirates) had no time to consider this. What has resulted is that the only solution is what actually has happened. Many teams have been in the same predicament and have come back home. Meanwhile the reserves and U18 are carrying the flag locally.

As has been mentioned before - nobody outside of Truro gives 2 hoots about Truro - everyone has their local club, especially in Cornwall and possibly Devon. If people are going to travel any great distance then it would be to see an EFL game. That will never change even with a fancy stadium with little or no atmosphere. 

18 hours ago, le boss said:

As has been mentioned before - nobody outside of Truro gives 2 hoots about Truro - everyone has their local club, especially in Cornwall and possibly Devon. If people are going to travel any great distance then it would be to see an EFL game. That will never change even with a fancy stadium with little or no atmosphere. 

Bit before my time, but what was the general feeling within the county about Falmouth Town when they blazed a trail within South Western and Western League football in the late sixties and seventies? Were they seen as putting Cornish football on the map by bringing professionalism into the county scene, or overpaid big time charlies that were there to be put in their place, and, was there a feeling of schadenfreude and "I told you so" when it all eventually imploded?

When the Heaney revolution was starting to gather pace at Truro City in 2005/6 .remember there was very little love for them within the other South Western League clubs. The feeling was (especially with someone I knew at the time who was a member of a SW league club's committee) that they were glad to see the back of them. 

4 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Bit before my time, but what was the general feeling within the county about Falmouth Town when they blazed a trail within South Western and Western League football in the late sixties and seventies? Were they seen as putting Cornish football on the map by bringing professionalism into the county scene, or overpaid big time charlies that were there to be put in their place, and, was there a feeling of schadenfreude and "I told you so" when it all eventually imploded?

When the Heaney revolution was starting to gather pace at Truro City in 2005/6 .remember there was very little love for them within the other South Western League clubs. The feeling was (especially with someone I knew at the time who was a member of a SW league club's committee) that they were glad to see the back of them. 

The question you ask about Falmouth Town is perhaps best answered by their adoring fans who will give a balanced and well-evidenced answer - what you have described is a similar scenario that other teams are now being heavily criticised for - oh the irony eh? I guess the over-riding feeling is tht there is nothing more holier-than-thou than a passionate football fan. Got no problem with how Falmouth blazed the trail long ago - and lessons will have been learnt by them and hopefully other clubs. 

With regards to Truro - don't think Heaney really endeared himself to the fans of Truro and if the rumours are true about his external dodgy dealings, then he had no one to blame but himself. League committees are always seen as filled with a few dinosaurs who hate to have their feathers ruffled but not everyone is going to be happy all of the time. 

Still - Truro is Truro, Falmouth is Falmouth and every other club has their own supporters, few of whom could be classsed as outsiders. Always has been, always will.

On 11/10/2021 at 17:26, le boss said:

What a load of dribble.

The title of this thread got me. Is it supposed to be a discussion, or a way of stirring sh*t? I don't see why the o.p. couldn't have put "Truro City crowd numbers". 

Had Heaney never taken over TCFC, we'd never have got to Wembley. Okay, so he fudged it all up, but my father and I will always be grateful for those memories. 

Personally, TCFC has ended up being screwed over buy the last two owners of the club, and now the Pirates. The Stadium is "pie in the sky" (as my father says), and I can't see the Pirates delivering on the promise of a new ground at any point in the near future. Plus, the Pirates have said from the beginning that the rugby team will always be a priority over the football club.

I'd LOVE to go and see City play at Blitho. But for personal reasons, it's just not possible. 

1 hour ago, Devils@Dusk said:

What a load of dribble.

The title of this thread got me. Is it supposed to be a discussion, or a way of stirring sh*t? I don't see why the o.p. couldn't have put "Truro City crowd numbers". 

Had Heaney never taken over TCFC, we'd never have got to Wembley. Okay, so he fudged it all up, but my father and I will always be grateful for those memories. 

Personally, TCFC has ended up being screwed over buy the last two owners of the club, and now the Pirates. The Stadium is "pie in the sky" (as my father says), and I can't see the Pirates delivering on the promise of a new ground at any point in the near future. Plus, the Pirates have said from the beginning that the rugby team will always be a priority over the football club.

I'd LOVE to go and see City play at Blitho. But for personal reasons, it's just not possible. 

Don't think many will dispute what you are saying but I still stand by what i have written. No s**t stirring just how it is for football people of Cornwall. 

7 hours ago, MOUNTAINEER said:

Cave dwellers like to stay close to home. No interest in the big wide world, even with FREE transport.

I bet that comment will inspire some loyalty amongst your supporters!  You cant blame them for not wanting to travel, given the lack of thought given for them by your club when the decision was made to play in Devon!

On 21/10/2021 at 12:12, The Town Man said:

I bet that comment will inspire some loyalty amongst your supporters!  You cant blame them for not wanting to travel, given the lack of thought given for them by your club when the decision was made to play in Devon!

Loads of them here at Bickland Park today Ivor .👍😁

13 hours ago, BigG said:

Truro's attendance today 165. St.Austell's 155. That's 10 more than at  a ground in the centre of cornwalls biggest town. With a 120 mile round trip for Truro's fans I think that's quite good!

I thought todays was quite good BigG. week in and week out costs add up, too much for those with young families, high rents etc. seems endless until the S4C is up and running, pity is, in the meantime we are losing the next generation of young fans and the middle generation (their parents) bringing them up, who will  doubtless in later years return.

4 hours ago, Peter Masters said:

Plymouth Parkway would not have been my first choice but I am sure it will come good in the end, it alway does for Truro :)

With no grounds in Cornwall up to the required Southern league grading surely another Torquay debacle was kicked into touch. In reality even a ground share with St Austell would be a step too far.

18 hours ago, Devils@Dusk said:

No three guesses as to who that was aimed at. 😒

Young Lady it was not aimed at anyone in particular, just slipped back to the good old days when we had good friendly banter, good old fashioned humour. good to see you have retained your interest.

7 minutes ago, Peter Masters said:

You need to explain that one, Torquay financially was a success the rest is history.

The rustle of banknotes is not the be all and end all to success - Happy punters maybe. - then perhaps pennies from heaven.

Why don't you enlighten us with your recipe as an alternative to Plymouth Parkway. was your concerns/objections ever considered or made public.

3 hours ago, leedsunited said:

Truro going to have temporary pitch & stand up next to the park & ride I was told yesterday by a very good friend within the Council.

Then the pirates will jump on board in couple years if they need a ground suitable for promotion. ( long way off I feel for pirates 🤣

If the temporary pitch you describe  became City's home it wouldn't meet the ground grading, the team would have to play at it's best possibly level 7 dropping down from level 3.  Have the Rugby Football Union settled their closed shop problem or blundered on into a no promotion scenario which appears to have been adopted of 13 super clubs. It would be interesting to know what solutions have been arrived at by the RFU. 

7 hours ago, Peter Masters said:

Clubs don't operate on fresh air, I sure there will be a happy ending be it a few seasons time :)

That buggers my chances Peter, the doctors have told me I cannot have routine operations because I would die on the table.  never mind I am having my 3rd (Booster) jab this afternoon, perhaps fully pin cushioned I will be free to continue my travelling supporting England and revising friends I have made prior to covid19.

Truro City are always going to be the torch bearers for Cornwall. Many local clubs have dropped out of leagues with lack of players, Truro are growing with a successful reserve side playing in the Piran League and the U18s competing in the Devon League, as local sides have not  given them a competitive game, Get behind the torch bearing Cornish Clubs who are trying to climb the pyramid, like Truro, Helston and Mousehole

Truro city reserves are 10th in the St Pirans league West so I wouldn’t exactly say “no local sides are giving them a game” !! week after week Truro seem to be basically playing in front of a near empty (in regards to capacity) Bolitho Park when the likes of Helston, Falmouth and potentially Mousehole are reporting very good numbers most weeks, I’m a proud Penzance supporter and I firmly believe that the flagship team in Cornish football going forward lies between one of the three Clubs above. 

1 hour ago, Ozman said:

I wasn't saying that TCFC Reserves were not playing competitive games, if you reread my comment I was talking about the U18s. Our young reserves are doing pretty well against mens teams, against some punters expectations.

In a very poor league. No disrespect. 

8 hours ago, MOUNTAINEER said:

If the temporary pitch you describe  became City's home it wouldn't meet the ground grading, the team would have to play at it's best possibly level 7 dropping down from level 3.  Have the Rugby Football Union settled their closed shop problem or blundered on into a no promotion scenario which appears to have been adopted of 13 super clubs. It would be interesting to know what solutions have been arrived at by the RFU. 

That buggers my chances Peter, the doctors have told me I cannot have routine operations because I would die on the table.  never mind I am having my 3rd (Booster) jab this afternoon, perhaps fully pin cushioned I will be free to continue my travelling supporting England and revising friends I have made prior to covid19.

I have been told it will meet the ground grading, then they will welcome the pirates in a couple years time to the 'new' ground. The original all singing all dancing Stadium will be scrapped. That's whats the whispers are anyway 

1 hour ago, Ozman said:

I wasn't saying that TCFC Reserves were not playing competitive games, if you reread my comment I was talking about the U18s. Our young reserves are doing pretty well against mens teams, against some punters expectations.

Successful reserve side you wrote? I wouldn’t agree that the league position reflects a successful team? 

17 hours ago, MOUNTAINEER said:

Take care Ivor, I am sure you will be watching many more England games and one or two Truro in Cornwall!

6 hours ago, Peter Masters said:

Take care Ivor, I am sure you will be watching many more England games and one or two Truro in Cornwall!

I like to think you're right Peter, I laugh things off feeling happy to have already seen off 85 years,  2 years ago in Portugal members of the group of England Travel Club members I am part off were creating a laugh a minute holding an Ivor mock wake recalling various events involving me when things went wrong, like getting lost 3 times in Sevilla when unable to walk as fast as everyone else, the coach firm changing the schedule without telling me ending up  at 2.30am on the Strip in Albufeira about 15 miles from my hotel, another Portuguese trip with a heart problem I could not walk any further, distressed the friend I was with forced a car to stop the driver could not speak English, my friend got his mobile out typed a message and hit translation that did the trick and got me a lift to the coach terminal. there have been many memories shared with many people a good reason to stay around.

On 25/10/2021 at 08:34, THEMAGPIE said:

Truro city reserves are 10th in the St Pirans league West so I wouldn’t exactly say “no local sides are giving them a game” !! week after week Truro seem to be basically playing in front of a near empty (in regards to capacity) Bolitho Park when the likes of Helston, Falmouth and potentially Mousehole are reporting very good numbers most weeks, I’m a proud Penzance supporter and I firmly believe that the flagship team in Cornish football going forward lies between one of the three Clubs above. 

Like Ozman...it appears you forgot about the Ashes. Not a bad start in the WL with few of the weaker sides played yet.... just saying 😉

I was talking to a friend whose Dad is very well connected with Parkway. Truro are bringing about 80 to 90 paying fans to Parkway each game and that the rest are either Parkway fans or away supporters. It's been dire on occasions by all accounts the fan levels.

When you think Saltash had 178 last week v Exmouth and that matched a Southern League attendance for Truro......

This fixation with TCFC crowds is getting boring. It was never expected that the home crowd would be anything like those at Treyew Rd. However the means to attend games, at an oven ready ground, has been provided for those who are prepared to use free travel for an hour or so. The main focus is getting TCFC back to Truro as soon as possible, with the best home ground in the County. Work is proceeding to enable this to happen. While the White Tiger flag in Cornwall is being carried by the Reserve Team and the U18s currently, I believe we will see the highest standard of football played at Langarth sometime next year, when the first team return.

23 hours ago, Ozman said:

This fixation with TCFC crowds is getting boring. It was never expected that the home crowd would be anything like those at Treyew Rd. However the means to attend games, at an oven ready ground, has been provided for those who are prepared to use free travel for an hour or so. The main focus is getting TCFC back to Truro as soon as possible, with the best home ground in the County. Work is proceeding to enable this to happen. While the White Tiger flag in Cornwall is being carried by the Reserve Team and the U18s currently, I believe we will see the highest standard of football played at Langarth sometime next year, when the first team return.

I think the views and responses attached to this subject says differently?At the end of the day facts are facts which are that the crowd numbers are barely above Combination football, I don’t personally think TCFC is going to be the flagship club for Cornwall with so many progressive and well supported Clubs looking to climb the ladder 

23 hours ago, Ozman said:

Have they physically started on site?

The pitch would have had to have been laid by now to give it any chance of establishing for next season!