Cornwall Football Forum

Racism in football.

This evening Scotland played Israel in a World Cup Qualifier. During the singing of the Israel National Anthem, the Scottish supporters booed throughout, drowning out Israel's anthem. 

During the match, each time an Israeli player fell to the ground injured, the booing started again, suggesting that the player was feigning injury.  I was appalled that in the current climate with both the FA and FIFA trying hard to tackle racism in football, this showing of blatant racism, or was it anti-semitism, took place.

Surely FIFA and the FA must make serious representation to the Scottish FA regarding this disgusting display. I wonder if they will.

On 09/10/2021 at 18:57, Keith B said:

This evening Scotland played Israel in a World Cup Qualifier. During the singing of the Israel National Anthem, the Scottish supporters booed throughout, drowning out Israel's anthem. 

During the match, each time an Israeli player fell to the ground injured, the booing started again, suggesting that the player was feigning injury.  I was appalled that in the current climate with both the FA and FIFA trying hard to tackle racism in football, this showing of blatant racism, or was it anti-semitism, took place.

Surely FIFA and the FA must make serious representation to the Scottish FA regarding this disgusting display. I wonder if they will.

Not so much ant-semitism, but some sort of misguided anti-zionism. Amongst a few Catholic Scottish supporters there is a pro Palestine, anti Israel sentiment. Also saw this much in evidence in pro Palestine anti Israel graffiti in nationalist areas of Belfast.

One football journalist asked (what I thought) was a good question years ago. Given how national anthems are usually booed before international football matches, why not just do away with them?

1 hour ago, Way Of The Park said:

Not so much ant-semitism, but some sort of misguided anti-zionism. Amongst a few Catholic Scottish supporters there is a pro Palestine, anti Israel sentiment. Also saw this much in evidence in pro Palestine anti Israel graffiti in nationalist areas of Belfast.

One football journalist asked (what I thought) was a good question years ago. Given how national anthems are usually booed before international football matches, why not just do away with them?

Probably not a bad idea WOTP. If anthems wind people up, yes do away with them. I'm saddened and surprised by what you say regarding the graffiti in Belfast. Such graffiti should be removed by the local authority. Not to do so brands them also as racist. Racism is against the law now and rightly so.