Jump to content
Cornwall Football Forum

GOAL KEEPER MERRY GO ROUND


Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, mattelot said:

I see on twitter that mousehole have announced the signing of goalkeeper Ollie chenoweth from Bodmin Town ,after their own keeper Cory Harvey was poached by Helston . Yet another setback for Gilby .

Good keeper Ollie.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wouldn’t have thought Gilby can compete with the outrageous signing on fee put on the table combined with the money offered per game.

Easy decision for GK to be honest.

Earning more money than players in League football. 
 

Good luck to him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, teflon123 said:

Wouldn’t have thought Gilby can compete with the outrageous signing on fee put on the table combined with the money offered per game.

Easy decision for GK to be honest.

Earning more money than players in League football. 
 

Good luck to him.

Could we see Kevin Miller coming out of retirement .🤔

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, teflon123 said:

Wouldn’t have thought Gilby can compete with the outrageous signing on fee put on the table combined with the money offered per game.

Easy decision for GK to be honest.

Earning more money than players in League football. 
 

Good luck to him.

How much is this outrageous signing on fee? Would be interesting to know.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, silly billy said:

How much is this outrageous signing on fee? Would be interesting to know.

If you get a definitive answer to that question along with their wage structure every week Silly Billy, congratulations because it will be a first.
You have noticed no doubt that usually the information starts with " i've been told " or " I overheard down the pub last night " but never is a source identified that can confirm what is essentially guesswork.
As for earning more money than players in the league, where was that information gleaned from, been there and done that and doubt that the SWPL league players get anywhere near now what league players were paid in the 70s /80s.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

All Chinese whispers of course, we've all heard various amounts for the big paying clubs, theres a grain of truth in the rumours somewhere but nobody knows for sure.

Myself I couldn't care less and find it quite amusing that clubs will pay some of the amounts bandied around,  if its paid by sponsorship good on them, but be prepared for the backlash when they pull the plug.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So this is the 4th goaliRe HELSTON have used this season they started off with John Ross dont know what happened to him he looked good in pre season ,then they had Leo Summers then they got this foreign bloke Raddvandic and They got Corey Harvey good goalie but not tall enough really 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, We Two said:

If you get a definitive answer to that question along with their wage structure every week Silly Billy, congratulations because it will be a first.
You have noticed no doubt that usually the information starts with " i've been told " or " I overheard down the pub last night " but never is a source identified that can confirm what is essentially guesswork.
As for earning more money than players in the league, where was that information gleaned from, been there and done that and doubt that the SWPL league players get anywhere near now what league players were paid in the 70s /80s.

Nick Tanner signed for Liverpool in 1988 and was offered £300 a week. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, St Darren said:

Nick Tanner signed for Liverpool in 1988 and was offered £300 a week. 

And thats probably what they told the press, but only the people concerned really know H.M.R.C. included.
To be honest who outside of the game would willingly divulge what they are paid. 
And don't forget that because of individual tax commitments take home pay in every sector varies dramatically.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, We Two said:

And thats probably what they told the press, but only the people concerned really know H.M.R.C. included.
To be honest who outside of the game would willingly divulge what they are paid. 
And don't forget that because of individual tax commitments take home pay in every sector varies dramatically.

That's what nick tanner put in his biography. There would have obviously been bonuses to that as well

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Heard from a very reliable source at the weekend about the package of "expenses", bonuses and other incentives that Cory Harvey was offered to move to Helston. "Wow" and "good luck to him" was my response. It's not too dissimilar to the details of the offer made to Tyler Elliott made by Helston, which was previously leaked on here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Heard from a very reliable source at the weekend about the package of "expenses", bonuses and other incentives that Cory Harvey was offered to move to Helston. "Wow" and "good luck to him" was my response. It's not too dissimilar to the details of the offer made to Tyler Elliott made by Helston, which was previously leaked on here.

Again, the numbers are very worrying for local football!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, GenerationGrey said:

Again, the numbers are very worrying for local football!

Memories are still fresh on here regarding the demise of Porthleven. Looking at their line ups from the nineties,  possibly a club that flew too close to the sun.

Regarding Helston, would be interesting to know where the money is coming from. Is it club funds, or is it coming from an individual? If it is club funds, they must have brilliant revenue from commercial and sponsorship streams, can't see how their gate receipts would cover it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Memories are still fresh on here regarding the demise of Porthleven. Looking at their line ups from the nineties,  possibly a club that flew too close to the sun.

Regarding Helston, would be interesting to know where the money is coming from. Is it club funds, or is it coming from an individual? If it is club funds, they must have brilliant revenue from commercial and sponsorship streams, can't see how their gate receipts would cover it.

Mr Massey has a sizeable bank balance to help the cause…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, GenerationGrey said:

I mean, after I put out what he was paying Tyler Elliott & similar figures of the other Plymouth based players. I'm not sure many people would turn down that crazy figure for a drive into Cornwall!

As I said, you can only say well done and good luck to Cory Harvey and the rest. How good it is for Helston and its sustainability is open to debate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wherever the money is coming from, it needs to be maintained at that level for a club to be able to sustain their level of football.
Blackburn Rovers who won the premiership in 1995, is a prime example of what happens when the money dries up.
Since Jack Walker passed away in 2000, Blackburn have won 1 trophy in the ensuing 21 years and are currently playing in the Championship.
Of course if promotion comes along and using the present criteria, even more money will be needed to survive.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There no way helston gate money would cover it. The ground looks pretty quiet on most of the games I have seen on the highlights 

i think this is what Stuart Henderson was making reference too in his interviews. Tavi budget will be no where near that of helston and he frustrated seeing Devon based players choose to  travel down there for extra money. 
It’s all well untill the manager leaves and budget and players go with it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

There no way helston gate money would cover it. The ground looks pretty quiet on most of the games I have seen on the highlights 

i think this is what Stuart Henderson was making reference too in his interviews. Tavi budget will be no where near that of helston and he frustrated seeing Devon based players choose to  travel down there for extra money. 
It’s all well untill the manager leaves and budget and players go with it. 

In fairness, the money in general in local football is crazy. Most teams now producing budgets of £30 a player on a match day x2 if they are playing twice at the moment - with most clubs adding a little bit of quality to there squads & having 1-2 on £50-70. That's without signing bonus' which are increasingly usual nowadays.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m pretty sure Steve Massey has already recently spoke on the Cornish Soccer Podcast about his incentives towards players at Helston Fc which in my opinion that’s they’re business, if it’s coming from a sole individual then that’s a very uncertain future, how many Clubs have fallen foul of this situation in Cornwall? The list goes on and on and with that I include my own Penzance AFC of course, as Helston go inevitably higher up the ladder the financial juggernaut grows with it, I personally wish Helston all the best and believe they are raising the profile of Cornish Football for all of us.

As always time will tell…………

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, THEMAGPIE said:

I’m pretty sure Steve Massey has already recently spoke on the Cornish Soccer Podcast about his incentives towards players at Helston Fc which in my opinion that’s they’re business, if it’s coming from a sole individual then that’s a very uncertain future, how many Clubs have fallen foul of this situation in Cornwall? The list goes on and on and with that I include my own Penzance AFC of course, as Helston go inevitably higher up the ladder the financial juggernaut grows with it, I personally wish Helston all the best and believe they are raising the profile of Cornish Football for all of us.

As always time will tell…………

With regards to profile.... What benefit has the success of Truro City or the potential success of Helston had on any other club in the area??? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Greygen said:

In fairness, the money in general in local football is crazy. Most teams now producing budgets of £30 a player on a match day x2 if they are playing twice at the moment - with most clubs adding a little bit of quality to there squads & having 1-2 on £50-70. That's without signing bonus' which are increasingly usual nowadays.

Tbf if what your stating is correct there’s  been no inflation for the last 30 years . Where the money comes from is no ones business but helstons .they have an outstanding youth division don’t they ? how much do these kids/parents pay for fees , that might go toward the budget , good luck to helston . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s certainly put a number of Cornish Clubs “out there” in terms of all the Television content and media exposure available now, it’s got to be a positive for players having the chance to play fixtures against teams which are covering games via Tv and live feeds? 
It gives ambitious players a possible route through to higher level aspirations rather than before where you may have a mention in the local paper and that’s about it🤷‍♂️. I just think as a neutral it’s a benefit for all (even if some will never admit it)  

Just to add, I’m a regular listener to the fantastic Rappo and Deacs podcast which I believe is also another big step to raising the Cornish Football profile, very professionally put together and a real in depth assessment of all things football in Cornwall, lots of interviews (Managers and Players) and asking the questions that people want answers to! 
All these Platforms are contributing to putting Cornwall “out there” and I truly believe it’s beneficial for all of us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...