Cornwall Football Forum

Steve Massey fan or not?

Divides opinion more often than not but after following his adventures on you tube and through the Cornish Soccer Podcast with Deacs and Rappo and other outlets I’ve grown a fondness for the passionate driving force behind Helston Fc, I genuinely believe he has raised the profile of Cornish football and I believe lots of other Cornish Clubs would love to have a Steve Massey in their dugout each week, I genuinely enjoy listening to his interviews and his opinions on football, just interested to see everyone else’s views on the main man at Helston?? I’d also like to mention the Deacs and Rappo podcast which I also highly recommend gets better and better every episode!

No opinion on the man himself but - and with apologies to the Helston fans on here - I do find Helston the ugliest of the teams I watch regularly (mainly Mousehole and Penzance but also Helston and Wendron). None of the other teams match them for baiting referees and linesmen, for excessive time-wasting, even for team-mates fighting amongst themselves. Maybe all this could be described as a “professional” attitude and is why they’re in a higher league position than the other teams I watch, but it doesn’t leave me filled with affection for them as a club. 

Respected rather than loved. Undoubtedly has drive, passion, tons of ideas and brings an element of professionalism to the clubs he's at, as well being very media savvy,   but does his actual managerial CV stand up to much in the way of scrutiny? Was successful in his first spell at Truro, but flattered to deceive at Falmouth, arguably underachieved in second spell at Truro (despite huge backing from Heaney), didn't last long at Buckland and likewise at Bovey Tracey (although I gather personal reasons were behind him leaving) before a pretty poor spell 3rd spell at Truro where he looked out of his depth in the Southern League. Has to be said that, despite the players recruited from higher steps, he was reliant on an FA reorganisation of the leagues to get Helston promoted (we'll never know though how 2019/20 would have finished). My thoughts are that he is probably better suited to a chairman/director of football role than as a manager/coach. 

Dont like the bloke never speaks and i have reasons i dont like him also he built up a really good youth team at Helston and now the majority hve gone the latest being Lewis Tonkin going i thought he was bringing all the youngsters on but they have nearly all gone ,and i wonder what happened to there new goalie they had at the start of the season and in pre season he was called John Ross hes not there some goalie with a foreign name .Helston do seem to be doing well so Massey must be doing something right 

As Older said, Mass seems to be Marmite for the good Cornish footie folk. A lot of people have an opinion on Mass I find without really knowing him as a person. I stick up for him quite regularly and was lucky enough to play alongside him for my local club Truro City as a 18/19 year old kid really, and it was an education to watch his movement, touch, class and finishing but most of all his encouragement and great advice for a young striker. Played with him for Cornwall at 19 for my first call up to the senior team away to Sussex and his professionalism was really inspiring, in bed before everyone else with a crossword! The other strikers that day were Bradley Swiggs and Graham Nicholls! Knew I was on the bench the next day!! 😀 Mass tried to sign me a couple of times when he was City manager and although very persuasive and my home town club I was never going to leave Falmouth who I loved and still do to this day!💛🖤. He even called me up when he was Cornwall manager and I was 32 at the time playing for Wadebridge and it was always a privilege to be involved with his squads and teams, so knowledgeable, great organiser, and so passionate, you couldn’t wait to get out on the pitch and play for him. I think it’s fantastic that an ex pro can be bothered to come down here and be so passionate about Cornish football for the last 30/35 odd years and put so much into our local game. I’m sure any club would like a Mass involved in it to be honest as Magpie has already said at the outset. I realise he divides opinion, and might not be everyone’s cup of tea, but ain’t we all!? If you don’t know him, get to know him, Mass has got time for people and he’s a top bloke and I could personally listen to him talk football for hours! Everyone’s got an opinion, and this one is mine. I’m sure people will say great things about Mass and no doubt he’s probably upset a few over the years, I’ve been involved in Cornish football for 45 years and I’ve only just started upsetting people this last month!! 🤔😂 For me, I’d say thanks Mass for all your interest, input and thanks for embracing Cornish football for all these years mate 👍👏🏼

PS) Thanks for the kind words Magpie, Deacs really does all the work and what another great servant to Cornish football he is! 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼 For me it’s just great to chat to an old mate every week about Cornish football that we both love and have a bit of a laugh along the way👍️ Thanks to guys like you for listening and supporting it these last few years, appreciate it 👍

Thanks Rappo interesting honest opinion, expanding on what you were saying about Mass having time to speak to people I seen him at Penlee Park at Penzance v Falmouth and he was openly chatting to lots of the crowd whom many were too young to know who is was to be honest. Like i said before lots of Clubs would love him in their dugout (though many wouldn’t admit it !!)

Be interesting who the next individual will be that this forum are asked to comment on. Is there really so little going on in local football that the forum allows topics like this - because everyone knows this is going to end up with lots of people sniping him personally - is this really the platform for things to get personal. A famous film star once said - "if you can't saying nothing nice, don't say nothing at all." Come on moderators - moderate!!! And no this is not me sticking up for him this is a matter of principle. There's enough hate going around without this tripe.

37 minutes ago, le boss said:

Be interesting who the next individual will be that this forum are asked to comment on. Is there really so little going on in local football that the forum allows topics like this - because everyone knows this is going to end up with lots of people sniping him personally - is this really the platform for things to get personal. A famous film star once said - "if you can't saying nothing nice, don't say nothing at all." Come on moderators - moderate!!! And no this is not me sticking up for him this is a matter of principle. There's enough hate going around without this tripe.

Don't think anybody has been sniping. It is a forum on Cornish football, and as long you can support what you say (and it isn't offensive) then you should be allowed to express your view on whatever subject you wish.

34 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Don't think anybody has been sniping. It is a forum on Cornish football, and as long you can support what you say (and it isn't offensive) then you should be allowed to express your view on whatever subject you wish.

So you think personal opinions will all be supported? And there will be no sniping? Time will tell. Shall we make you the next on the list then lol?

40 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Previously I've had two threads deleted due to not being allowed to either ask an question on both occasions about a topic. Suppose it just goes down to who you are on this forum at times. 

Let’s not lose sight of the original Topic people, at the end of the day the guys involved with the current top teams are going to attract attention some positive some negative it comes with the territory, Steve Massey I’m sure would embrace the attention good and bad he would know more than most that it’s par for the course, I just enjoy the responses from members that know him personally to understand more about the character that causes so much interest and divide.

58 minutes ago, Greygen said:

Previously I've had two threads deleted due to not being allowed to either ask an question on both occasions about a topic. Suppose it just goes down to who you are on this forum at times. 

Keep it related to a football topic and nothing possibly libellous and you'll be fine 👍