Cornwall Football Forum

Okehampton Argyle

Guest philglossop

Guest philglossop

Back in the mists of time (ok 1996) I watched Okehampton Argyle play Saltash United, and saw Okehampton beat the Ashes that day 1-0 in the old JSWL. Okehampton then dropped back to the Devon and Exeter league.

On Saturday, I was in Okehampton and saw them again, playing Galmpton United. Excellent game, good facilities and a warm welcome with a very young team playing (guess the average age around 22?)

The reason for posting? Well there is a chance that Okehampton could be moved to Div 1 West (if Clyst and Cullompton are relegated), and they would be a good addition to that league. :clapper: :clapper:

I would have thought that the borderline East/West Div 1 will move Easterly and that would include Plymstock United into the SWPL Div1West before entertaining Okehampton Argyle.

I can see Plymouth Parkway being promoted to Western League Premier and with no Devon/Cornwall club in the relegation zone of the Western Premier that would see only ONE SWPL(P)club to be relegated.

The SWPL West division ,I see Wadebridge Town leaving for the SWLP(Premier) and in the SWPL East they would lose one of their promotion teams(Exmouth/Newton Abbot/Stoke Gabriel) and gain the relegated SWPL Premier team(Clyst R./Cullompton) which will be a Devon club.

There would then be an imbalance of the number of teams in Div1 W/E and the border would have to move Easterly.

Question -Has the deadline expired if Elmore decide to a sideways move to the SWPL(P)?

I have been to Simmons Park Okehampton (at least twice) with Falmouth and on one occasion I will always remember Dave Philp saving our blushes in stoppage time with the final result 0-0.

A very picturesque ground in the foothills of Dartmoor.

I can see Plymouth Parkway being promoted to Western League Premier

| :o Mike - don't say things like that - its no good for an old man, the heart you know. :

Distant Shores

Parkway only three Away league games left.

Falmouth and Saltash to knock each other about with two games and Saltash have a tough run in.

If Bodmin pip you second spot is all you need,although they have an easier run in but a fixture backlog looming.

Ahead of Dartmouth with games in hand.

Dont panic.

To be fair they do have a good playing surface but it is very sloped towards the clubhouse end. Being a good out fit well i havent seen them yet this season so can't disagree. However they are only in the penisula league east because of another team, St Martins who finished in the top 3 of the Devon and exeter premier league last season declining promotion although they have applied this year to go up. Okehampton finished 4th and are only in the league because of abit of luck from St Martins behalf. Then again that is only my opinion.

Guest Phil H

That is factually inaccurate.

St Martins were not considered for promotion or ground graded last season because their application was not copied in time to their current league, the Devon & Exeter. In fairness to those that had applied correctly they were sent back their application fee and not visited.

I can of course confirm that they have applied correctly this season and will be visited in April along with other applicants.

Phil H