Cornwall Football Forum

HELSTON ATHLETIC V MILLBROOK FC - VIDEO HIGHLIGHTS

Piran

44 minutes ago, Piran said:

What a game and with so many talking points:

https://youtu.be/RubApLav3tw

My Post-229.jpg

What's the controversial all about? Ref got it right... And it's what Millbrook deserved, in fact they deserved to win the game. Would love to see the comparison in money dished out from both teams. 

Judging only by the highlights... And I know that's just a small part... The ref had a very poor game.

Pen on Bowker early on(not nailed on but a definite push).... Then another foul on bowker just after. 

Then a naughty high challenge by Bowker not even give as a foul leading to immediate retribution and a red card challenge by the milbrook number 6(don't know if he got booked?) 

Then the last min pen.... I could say its a pen... If the one on Bowker is.... So probably got that right. 

10 hours ago, Footy follower said:

Judging only by the highlights... And I know that's just a small part... The ref had a very poor game.

Pen on Bowker early on(not nailed on but a definite push).... Then another foul on bowker just after. 

Then a naughty high challenge by Bowker not even give as a foul leading to immediate retribution and a red card challenge by the milbrook number 6(don't know if he got booked?) 

Then the last min pen.... I could say its a pen... If the one on Bowker is.... So probably got that right. 

It was a slight push  but you can see it was outside the box on bowker how was it a pen. 

A fair result. First half Helston had the upper hand and the second half Millbrook were in charge. Still worrying how many goals Millbrook are conceding and front strikers are inconsistent. However Millbrook have a united team and deserve more local support as they are great side to watch. Players are not on paid alot either!

23 hours ago, Southwest football fan said:

What's the controversial all about? Ref got it right... And it's what Millbrook deserved, in fact they deserved to win the game. Would love to see the comparison in money dished out from both teams. 

I think there were a number of controversial decisions in which the referee took and which other referees would have judged the situations differently. He may well have got it right, especially when players go down with great ease (dive). The first incident involving Stu Bowker looked like a push in the back on my tv. The two tackles involving Stu Bowker raising his foot high and Reece Shanley being tackled Billy Bremner style when he was not in possession of the ball deserved cards but none were issued. I don't know the rule concerning "comings together" in the box when neither player is competing for the ball. I don't think it matters whether players appeal or not.

As for the payment of players, you have two different models I understand, after hearing Macca Brown on Rappo and Deaks' Cornish Soccer Podcast this morning. All the MIllbrook players get the same amount and there's a significant core of players and manager who have risen through the leagues together, which will engender team spirit. They played very fluent football at times on Wednesday evening. They remind me of the old amateur league club set up of the 1960s before "semi-professional" status was common. Brown paper bags and pound notes in boots come to mind.

I have no idea what the Helston players get, a lot less I would imagine than is often touted on this forum. Look at the team sheet from the other night and you'll see that all the back four were playing for the U18s a couple of years ago. I don't think any of them are 20 yet. On the bench were another 3 from that age group or younger. And of course there's Kai Cornish and Tom Hands in the squad but at university. There is a clear pathway into the first team for youngsters at the club who have the talent, self-belief, ambition and commitment. Of those from across the Tamar, two or three are long-standing players at the club. As with the professional game, clubs with money are more likely to be title challengers than those without. Out of interest which professional team do you follow Southwest football fan? 

It’s only ‘controversial’ because Massey is the one paying for them to film it, if Millbrook had paid for it it would’ve have been a stonewall penalty. We’re hearing about the referee shortage and you’ve got clowns like this going out their way to make videos to criticise them, no wonder no one wants to do it 

Hi 'MWhite55',

I was the summariser and was at the game - obviously. Almost every Helston game is filmed so this wasn't done just to highlight some inconsistent officiating.

The referee let a lot go and I can't recall a player being booked until the final 10 minutes. The challenge on Stuart Bowker should have been penalised early on. I called penalty at the time, but on second viewing it was outside the box. I only saw it in real time and called it as I saw it, just like the referee did. He got it wrong and so did I.

Millbrook should have had a penalty in the first half too when Jake Foster was hacked down after shooting over. As for the Magpies' penalty award, I thought it was harsh at the time and after watching it back, still think that's the case. There was no real appeal from Millbrook, but the referee gave the penalty without hesitation. In my experience, any late penalty award that impacts on the result of any particular game is controversial.

Whoever has edited the video has clearly made it about the referee by putting a very clear photo of him as the thumbnail for the video. The game wasn’t filmed to show the refereeing performance but it now has been to deflect the attention away from Helston twice bottling a lead and making it out they’ve been hard done by and not talking about their poor defending 

43 minutes ago, MWhite55 said:

Whoever has edited the video has clearly made it about the referee by putting a very clear photo of him as the thumbnail for the video. The game wasn’t filmed to show the refereeing performance but it now has been to deflect the attention away from Helston twice bottling a lead and making it out they’ve been hard done by and not talking about their poor defending 

Thank you so much for your two contributions to the debate that I requested after posting these highlights. I really appreciate them. There's nothing worse for me than posting a video, getting a good number of folk watching them but nil responses. So thanks again. Let me make a few observations by way of response.

1) Without Steve Massey's involvement and financial investment, Helston would not be where they are now and neither would they be getting their matches and behind the scenes filmed by a professional videographer. Helston would still be in the SWP League and have to be have to be content with the odd clip Tweeted by someone in the crowd which, a week later, would be difficult to access and quickly forgotten.

Steve brought me on board 3 years ago to raise the profile of Helston Football Club and that is what I have sought to do. There are  currently 18 videos on this season's Piran Films You Tube Playlist and 104 on the combined Playlist of the previous two truncated seasons. That is not to say that I do not have editorial control when it comes to selecting the clips for the montages. One of the most popular Helston videos (4.1K hits) is of Helston's 5:1 FA Vase defeat at the hands of arch local rivals Falmouth Town.  On that occasion I even invited the Falmouth manager up into the gantry and filmed his post match interview. When Helston won 5:0 at the start of last season at home to Wadebridge Town, I made sure I included Wadebridge's  near misses prior to Helston's first goal to show how things could have turned out differently.

2) Yes I am guilty of wanting to focus on the talking points of the game as well as the goals. On such decisions matches often turn. However I must refute the allegation that I made the video about the referee. I make a point of chatting to the officials before the game and often afterwards, if I see them before they leave. The referee on Wednesday actually sought me out before the game, was chatty and asked me to get his best side. I used to hate refereeing matches when I worked at Truro School. It is so difficult; and yes more so when the game is filmed. So I am very sympathetic to the officials and probably people watching my videos after seeing the game live may well have had to reconsider their opinions about decisions made by the referee after watching the highlights. 

3) The thumbnail - yes, I hold my hands up,  it was deliberately provocative! I have watched a lot of videos about how to boost one's You Tube channel and increase video hits and am becoming a right "Youtuber" at this stage in life. I have discovered that the thumbnail is so important. "Highlights of Helston Athletic v Millbrook" with an action shot from the game is not going to attract the neutral, whereas "Controversial or what?" with a picture of the referee and his linesman just might. That is the name of the game. However, I did exchange text messages with the referee to make sure that he was happy with the thumbnail. He was.

At the end of the day, editing, is all about story telling. Yes Helston threw away a 2:0 lead and couldn't manage the game out after going ahead 3:2 with just minutes left. Have a look at Steve Massey's post match interview - was it all about the referee? Neither video were out to disguise Helston's inability to win a game of football. If I ever went down that route I would lose credibility, get fewer and fewer hits and not serve my wider personal remit - to promote non-league football in the best way I can.

I actually enjoy the highlights. And appreciate the time that goes into it. 
Plymouth parkway do the same and it definitely helps promote the club. 
Even after the bad loss to bitten at home the highlight were there and Massey explained that bitten were too good. So I don’t see how it’s too biased. 
just keep producing the highlights as the majority enjoy it 

Once again the age-old issue of the referee's performance. Now I know no one is allowed to pass comment on the referee because more and more of them will walk away from football, but when a referee stops a game to lecture two players about a coming together which he had earlier deemed within the rules of the game, only for the referee to be lecturing the wrong player, even after being told by the correct player that it was"him", certainly does himself and referees in general any favours. The lack of punishment for both sides for very recklees/dangerous challenges was also mystifying but c'est la vie. With regards to the game, Helston had the better of the first half but Millbrook were by far the better team in the second with a lot of Helston players going "missing". Says a lot when the Helston man of the match is a defender who has just conceded 3 goals. Millbrook quite rightly deserved at least a point. Not sure about Helston "bottling" it - don't think they got scared or the like - perhaps more credit to Millbrook for achieving what they deserved.