Cornwall Football Forum

Best EVER start to a Falmouth Town Season (Westy in the History books)

2021/22 SWPL  Manager Andy Westgarth

Played 12 Won 12 (11L 1C--7H 5A) Goals 52--10    This does not include the Void game v Porthleven  (6-0)

1986-87 SWL   Manager  Dave Wadd

Played 11 Won 11  (7L.4C.--6H.5A)  Goals 37--4

1976-77  WL  Manager Richard Gray

Played 10  Won 10  (8L.2C.--4H.6A)  Goals  30--5

On 30/09/2021 at 12:05, Mike Odgers said:

2021/22 SWPL  Manager Andy Westgarth

Played 12 Won 12 (11L 1C--7H 5A) Goals 52--10    This does not include the Void game v Porthleven  (6-0)

1986-87 SWL   Manager  Dave Wadd

Played 11 Won 11  (7L.4C.--6H.5A)  Goals 37--4

1976-77  WL  Manager Richard Gray

Played 10  Won 10  (8L.2C.--4H.6A)  Goals  30--5

And what happened at the end of those respective seasons ? ................ we were Champions.

Don't want to be counting our chickens etc and as any Falmouth fan like me (4 decades+) will tell you they don't half put you through the ringer,life as a Town supporter is never easy but I wouldn't have it any other way !

On another note a question for everyone/anyone who knows the answer

Has any Cornish Senior team ever gone the whole season unbeaten and therefore become the Cornish version of the Invincibles ?

' Up The Town '

1 minute ago, SON OF LINEKER said:

And what happened at the end of those respective seasons ? ................ we were Champions.

Don't want to be counting our chickens etc and as any Falmouth fan like me (4 decades+) will tell you they don't half put you through the ringer,life as a Town supporter is never easy but I wouldn't have it any other way !

On another note a question for everyone/anyone who knows the answer

Has any Cornish Senior team ever gone the whole season unbeaten and therefore become the Cornish version of the Invincibles ?

' Up The Town '

Over to you Mike Odgers ! 😁

9 hours ago, Mike Odgers said:

Over to CornishTeddyBoy for the Cornwall Combination League where Penryn Athletic dominated

Don’t think Penryn have ever gone unbeaten in the Combo which is a surprise considering their many titles!

One of the earliest league campaigns undefeated elsewhere could well be Foxhole  in the ECPL season 1970-71. A 32 game season with 28 victories and 4 draws. However what about St Blazey Reserves in season 1962/63 - a 100% record. Only 20 games admittedly, but won all 20!

There are also other teams who have done it in the ECPL. An interesting topic 😀

In fact with of course St Blazey in the SWL going undefeated - 36 games with 33 wins and 3 draws, they have two sides in different leagues!

It has been done in the Combo - quite recently in fact with Truro City Reserves season 2007-08 - played 38 with just 3 draws and the rest wins - 35!

St Blazey A.F.C held a notable record following their unbeaten South Western League season in 2002. The club went 75 matches unbeaten in league competition, which was a record for English football at senior level until it was bettered two years later by AFC Wimbledon, who competed in the Isthmian League at the time.

When you look back at that, that was some achievement. With St Blazey doing so well in cup competitions as well, to remain unbeaten for so long in the league is unbelievable really. 

On 03/10/2021 at 10:45, Mike Odgers said:

Falmouth Town played 55 Western League games without defeat (1974-76) A record at the time which was beaten by Tiverton Town 1993-95

Falmouth's achievement was undoubtedly better than St Blazey's (superb as it was though), as at the time the Western League was effectively step 3 football with the Alliance League (which later became the Conference) not coming into being until 1979.

Question for Paul Blazey, during this period of five consecutive SW league titles, was taking promotion ever seriously discussed? I'm not looking to be antagonistic here, just genuinely interested.

7 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Falmouth's achievement was undoubtedly better than St Blazey's (superb as it was though), as at the time the Western League was effectively step 3 football with the Alliance League (which later became the Conference) not coming into being until 1979.

Question for Paul Blazey, during this period of five consecutive SW league titles, was taking promotion ever seriously discussed? I'm not looking to be antagonistic here, just genuinely interested.

I was a lot younger back then and not involved like I am now. Just a supporter. I don't actually know the answer. But I will find out. I'm interested to know myself.