Cornwall Football Forum

Brian Hodge RIP

Dave Deacon

The term legend is used too often, but Brian Hodge definitely was one.  Grew up on Brian's great Western League Liskeard sides in the late 70's and early 80's, which culminated of course in the title winning side of 1987/88. He then of course sent tremors through the local scene when he "retired", only to be unveiled as the new boss at rivals Saltash United within weeks (the equivalent of Guardiola resigning at Man City and taking over at Man United). He then promptly built a league winning side at The Ashes in 1988/89 that was possibly even stronger. 

Too many greats to mention were brought together at Lux Park by Brian, but aside from the obvious names (Bradley Swiggs, Steve Nute, Dave Jones and others), I always think of the likes of Tony Richardson, Tyrone James, Geoff Battams, Ronnie Swiggs and Derek Baxter. Big players and big personalities who you wanted around when things weren't going well. Brian brought together a side that didn't need a demonstrative shouter and screamer on the touchlines (he wasn't one of those, quite often he preferred to walk around the pitch rather than watch from the dug out), he didn't need to be as he had intelligent players who were well prepared and could make their own decisions and act upon them.

Wonder if Brian Hodge is now locked in a debate somewhere above with that other great Cornish manager, Trevor Mewton. Can only think they encountered each other once in a competitive match (the 1991 Senior Cup Final between Saltash and Falmouth, no doubt Mike Odgers will correct me if I'm wrong).  

RIP Brian Hodge