Cornwall Football Forum

DOBWALLS V FALMOUTH TOWN

Does the sun ever shine at Dobwalls ? Have been there 3 times now and it's been wet and miserable each time . Arrived at the ground to be greeted by 2 jovial chaps at the gate ,they could have been a double act ,one asked do you want a 50/50 ,the wife said only if it's the winning  ticket .The other chap said everyone's a winner ! 😁😂🤣.The look on his mates face said it all . 😁

Just got out the car when the F Troop coach turned up fresh from pre match drinks at the Highwayman pub down the road,who were delighted for the extra business I'm sure . Strolled across to the clubhouse / changing room area mingling with fellow ardent town

supporters ,to overhear a conversation between the officials and the Dobwalls manager, who was asking if they could ban the f troop boom box and the drum .😁😂🤣 .The boom box didn't travel anyway due to another engagement 😁 and no the drum couldn't be banned ,so it was banged a little harder .👍

Town started the game playing down the slope and on the front foot with some slick 1rst time passing but being thwarted by the offside trap. One ball over the top for luke Brabyn left him through on goal ,only to be brought down from behind and a booking for the defender,the dobwalls management weren't happy .A pattern that would continue throughout the game.Town went ahead after 21mins when luke Barner reacted to a loose ball and slotted it just inside the far post .The remainder of the half saw constant town attacks being denied by some tough tackling and desperate shirt pulls ,some of which the referee was quick to punish with more bookings and a verbal warning to the Dobwalls bench .Any Dobwalls attacks were being dealt with ably by the the town defence ,one minor indiscretion however left Adie Thompson sin binned for dissent about 3 mins before half time .

2nd half Dobwalls came out all guns blazing trying to take advantage of the extra man and after a period of pressure town failed to clear the ball allowing a Dobwalls player to shoot through a crowd of players for the equaliser . Town didn't let their heads drop and after some tactical changes for fresh pace ,kirk Davis for Adie Thompson, Alex Wharton for Tim Nixon and Jack Bowyer for Luke Barner town began to turn the screw .Ollie Walker was making good runs down the left, finally leaving 3 players in his wake and supplying a low cross on 71 mins for Braybyn to side foot home for his 11th of the season in front of the F Troop . Dobwalls were now struggling against the fresh legs and further goals from captain James Ward 84 mins and a penalty after Jack Bowyer was upended in the area in stoppage time ,was cooly slotted away by luke Braybyn,sending the keeper the wrong way .2 goals ,what a way to celebrate your 30th birthday .

This was a tough game despite the scoreline ,another 3 points .Top of the league with 2 games in hand .On we go to Godolphin Atlantic on Wednesday night .

9 hours ago, mattelot said:

Does the sun ever shine at Dobwalls ? Have been there 3 times now and it's been wet and miserable each time . Arrived at the ground to be greeted by 2 jovial chaps at the gate ,they could have been a double act ,one asked do you want a 50/50 ,the wife said only if it's the winning  ticket .The other chap said everyone's a winner ! 😁😂🤣.The look on his mates face said it all . 😁

Just got out the car when the F Troop coach turned up fresh from pre match drinks at the Highwayman pub down the road,who were delighted for the extra business I'm sure . Strolled across to the clubhouse / changing room area mingling with fellow ardent town

supporters ,to overhear a conversation between the officials and the Dobwalls manager, who was asking if they could ban the f troop boom box and the drum .😁😂🤣 .The boom box didn't travel anyway due to another engagement 😁 and no the drum couldn't be banned ,so it was banged a little harder .👍

Town started the game playing down the slope and on the front foot with some slick 1rst time passing but being thwarted by the offside trap. One ball over the top for luke Brabyn left him through on goal ,only to be brought down from behind and a booking for the defender,the dobwalls management weren't happy .A pattern that would continue throughout the game.Town went ahead after 21mins when luke Barner reacted to a loose ball and slotted it just inside the far post .The remainder of the half saw constant town attacks being denied by some tough tackling and desperate shirt pulls ,some of which the referee was quick to punish with more bookings and a verbal warning to the Dobwalls bench .Any Dobwalls attacks were being dealt with ably by the the town defence ,one minor indiscretion however left Adie Thompson sin binned for dissent about 3 mins before half time .

2nd half Dobwalls came out all guns blazing trying to take advantage of the extra man and after a period of pressure town failed to clear the ball allowing a Dobwalls player to shoot through a crowd of players for the equaliser . Town didn't let their heads drop and after some tactical changes for fresh pace ,kirk Davis for Adie Thompson, Alex Wharton for Tim Nixon and Jack Bowyer for Luke Barner town began to turn the screw .Ollie Walker was making good runs down the left, finally leaving 3 players in his wake and supplying a low cross on 71 mins for Braybyn to side foot home for his 11th of the season in front of the F Troop . Dobwalls were now struggling against the fresh legs and further goals from captain James Ward 84 mins and a penalty after Jack Bowyer was upended in the area in stoppage time ,was cooly slotted away by luke Braybyn,sending the keeper the wrong way .2 goals ,what a way to celebrate your 30th birthday .

This was a tough game despite the scoreline ,another 3 points .Top of the league with 2 games in hand .On we go to Godolphin Atlantic on Wednesday night .

Relatively fair assessment of the game. Not quite sure what you mean by desperate shirt pulls mind. Thought Dobwalls done well to limit Falmouth to 1 goal at half time as Falmouth were very much on top. 2nd half as you say started all Dobwalls with Falmouth down to 10. And continued to question a solid Town defence grabbing the equaliser early on. Once it went back to 11 v 11 Dobwalls very nearly went 2-1 up only for a goal line clearance. After 70 mins and with Towns fresh legs they finally got back in front which put the Town support back into fine voice after spending half of the 2nd half quiet by their standards! once they added the 3rd Dobwalls heads dropped as they seemed to realise they too wouldn't be the first to take pts from Falmouth. The last action of the game came from a penalty that the ref gave in front of the Town support. It clearly wasnt a pen as the player knocked the ball for a corner cleanly. Ref certainly got that one wrong however at 3-1 and being the final kick of the game, it merely changed the scoreline! Referee done ok on the day I suppose, however definitely wanted to be centre of attention and had an unnecessary arrogance about him, seemed to love arguing with anyone and everyone.

48 minutes ago, Saltypolice said:

Relatively fair assessment of the game. Not quite sure what you mean by desperate shirt pulls mind. Thought Dobwalls done well to limit Falmouth to 1 goal at half time as Falmouth were very much on top. 2nd half as you say started all Dobwalls with Falmouth down to 10. And continued to question a solid Town defence grabbing the equaliser early on. Once it went back to 11 v 11 Dobwalls very nearly went 2-1 up only for a goal line clearance. After 70 mins and with Towns fresh legs they finally got back in front which put the Town support back into fine voice after spending half of the 2nd half quiet by their standards! once they added the 3rd Dobwalls heads dropped as they seemed to realise they too wouldn't be the first to take pts from Falmouth. The last action of the game came from a penalty that the ref gave in front of the Town support. It clearly wasnt a pen as the player knocked the ball for a corner cleanly. Ref certainly got that one wrong however at 3-1 and being the final kick of the game, it merely changed the scoreline! Referee done ok on the day I suppose, however definitely wanted to be centre of attention and had an unnecessary arrogance about him, seemed to love arguing with anyone and everyone.

Thought the referee had a good game ,stamped his authority from the start .wasn't going to take any nonsense and explained his decisions to the culprits .Also special mention to the young lino ,only 17 apparently ,well done on his debut .👍

1 hour ago, baldy said:

Thought the referee was excellent. The first yellow given against Dobwalls for a blatant pull back on the shirt, thus denying a goal scoring opportunity, could easily have been a red. I thought it was a pen at the end but wouldn’t claim to have the best view.

Agree the ref had a good game, thought correct decision with the yellow, another Dobwalls player was covering. 3rd time I’ve seen Dobwalls this season, all against the supposedly top 3 , Blazey Falmouth and Bodmin. Blazey were poor on the day, against Bodmin Dobwalls took there chances. Dobwalls gave Falmouth a good game 4-1 slightly flattered them. Falmouth to win the league by at least 10pts. Dobwalls to finish around 9th lack of depth in squad to hold them back from finishing any higher.

11 minutes ago, iand said:

Agree the ref had a good game, thought correct decision with the yellow, another Dobwalls player was covering. 3rd time I’ve seen Dobwalls this season, all against the supposedly top 3 , Blazey Falmouth and Bodmin. Blazey were poor on the day, against Bodmin Dobwalls took there chances. Dobwalls gave Falmouth a good game 4-1 slightly flattered them. Falmouth to win the league by at least 10pts. Dobwalls to finish around 9th lack of depth in squad to hold them back from finishing any higher.

Falmouth are going well but Liskeard are going under the radar massively. Only dropped two points so far and hence remain unbeaten. Could be two very important games against Falmouth which may well determine who will win the league this season.

15 minutes ago, iand said:

My argument is that if there is a covering defender, why does the foul have to be made? Wake up FIFA, joke law.

11 minutes ago, The Town Man said:

Falmouth are going well but Liskeard are going under the radar massively. Only dropped two points so far and hence remain unbeaten. Could be two very important games against Falmouth which may well determine who will win the league this season.

Haven't seen Liskeard, not even a PSF. BUT 5 of their 6 wins have been by the odd goal and no clean sheets. Maybe a bit early to judge them?

7 hours ago, The Town Man said:

Yep the game between town and liskeard at lux Park on the 4th December will be massive. Just like when we played them in the vase in the 90's.If we can get a 2-1 win again then I'll  be happy .

Years ago the saying was “the best referees are the ones you don’t notice”. This referee (I think his name is Hunnisett) is consistently very good but you can’t help but noticing him. He has a unique style of demonstrating all his decisions and sometimes his actions are more in line with Strictly Come Dancing routines. In my ground hopping of all Cornwall grounds, I have seen Mr Hunnisett 3 times this season and on each occasion he has been very good. 
That he issued 6 yellows (5 on the pitch and 1 off it after the game had finished), at Dobwalls on Saturday plus sent one to the sin bin, might lead some to suppose he was over quick with the cards. Not at all, as from what I could see and hear, he was justified in all of them.

As for the late Falmouth penalty, he was up with play, close to the incident and had a clear view. That said, I also had a clear view and thought he got the decision wrong and that the Dobwalls defender made a clean tackle. 

As many have said many times already, this Falmouth side are strong in all departments, will surely win this league comfortably. I saw them at Camelford 7 days prior to the Dobwalls game and they swept Camelford aside. Dobwalls will feel somewhat aggrieved that the 4-1 flattered Falmouth and I agree to a certain extent as it could easily have finished 2-3. 

On 23/09/2021 at 13:42, Joe1970Johnson said:

Years ago the saying was “the best referees are the ones you don’t notice”. This referee (I think his name is Hunnisett) is consistently very good but you can’t help but noticing him. He has a unique style of demonstrating all his decisions and sometimes his actions are more in line with Strictly Come Dancing routines. In my ground hopping of all Cornwall grounds, I have seen Mr Hunnisett 3 times this season and on each occasion he has been very good. 
That he issued 6 yellows (5 on the pitch and 1 off it after the game had finished), at Dobwalls on Saturday plus sent one to the sin bin, might lead some to suppose he was over quick with the cards. Not at all, as from what I could see and hear, he was justified in all of them.

As for the late Falmouth penalty, he was up with play, close to the incident and had a clear view. That said, I also had a clear view and thought he got the decision wrong and that the Dobwalls defender made a clean tackle. 

As many have said many times already, this Falmouth side are strong in all departments, will surely win this league comfortably. I saw them at Camelford 7 days prior to the Dobwalls game and they swept Camelford aside. Dobwalls will feel somewhat aggrieved that the 4-1 flattered Falmouth and I agree to a certain extent as it could easily have finished 2-3. 

Excellent post. 

Mr Hunnisett is a very good and well respected referee. He does however have a very unique personality that he brings to games. His enthusiasm and clear love of the game is obvious and, although doesn’t allow him to keep a low profile, generally has a positive influence in the game and players around him.

You won’t find many better or more experienced officials in the county.