Cornwall Football Forum

RESULTS - Midweek Tuesday & Wednesday, Sept 14th & 15th 2021

Camelford 3-0 Sticker

Wasn’t  going to do a report after all the kerfuffle with Rappo’s last report, but these are my two favourite teams. 
Decent game of football, more workman like for the Camels than exciting but clearly just wanted to put the last game behind them. 
Camels controlled most of the game, should of scored a couple early on but wasted a couple of chances - went 1-0 up through a cracking Ed header after about 25 min. Sticker well drilled but just a little short on real quality although they did create some half chances. 1-0 HT. 

Second half more of the same - Sticker have some good fast young players but struggled to maintain any play / possessions. Ed scored another on 50 from a run and driving low shot - took a deflection, one of those if the defender didn’t stick a foot out he would of been criticised but as it happened wrong footed the keeper. 2-0

Game was settled by one moment on controversy - Sticker defender adjudged to back pass and picked up by the keeper on edge of 6yd box. Sticker felt unfair (as did I) but Ed tapped ball and passed home by Bobby. I spoke to the ref after the game and he felt the Sticker player had ‘cushioned’ the ball back to keeper making it intentional (without being disrespectful I don’t think the Sticker player had that deftness in his locker as he was was under a lot of pressure and if he hadn’t stuck a foot in Ed would probably have got his hat trick). Game over 3-0. 
Performance wise:

Camels 7/10 but enough. Sticker 8/10 as they never gave up and have all but a good team there. Ref 9.5/10 - didn’t agree with the pass back but he took time to explain to players (and me afterwards) - nice guy, always friendly and most importantly gives what he sees without being swayed. 

Bob, I agree with your report but how can you give him 9.5? It's no good explaining to spectators after the game! Yes, he is a nice guy but that doesn't make him a 9.5 out of 10. The ridiculous back pass decision and third goal killed the game. And, what about the challenge on Sticker's right back after the Camelford player had not been given a free kick. That was not a talking to, it was the clearest yellow card you will ever see. I thought his interaction with players and 2 lino's needs improving.

1 hour ago, justanopinion said:

Bob, I agree with your report but how can you give him 9.5? It's no good explaining to spectators after the game! Yes, he is a nice guy but that doesn't make him a 9.5 out of 10. The ridiculous back pass decision and third goal killed the game. And, what about the challenge on Sticker's right back after the Camelford player had not been given a free kick. That was not a talking to, it was the clearest yellow card you will ever see. I thought his interaction with players and 2 lino's needs improving.

Couple of things - it didn’t kill the game off, it was about 80+ minutes and game was all but over anyway. As for my scoring of the ref - everyone there thought it was soft, but it how he saw it - end of. As it happens the Camels player who would have scored a tap in bar the intervention saw it as a back pass as well - as in intentional to the goalie. When I said he explained to me, yes I am a spectator but I sat and had a chat with him after and he was open and honest about what he saw - many won’t entertain a chat after the game - he also took a long time on the pitch explaining to player why he made the call - I except many didn’t except it but he took the time to try. As for working with his assistant refs - I think I know who you are now, we can all improve our communication skills but life is about learning. 
I stand by 9.5 - was he right all the time - not in my opinion. Was he honest, open and gave what HE saw - yes. I would never ask for more. 

As a footnote - in the first half Joel elbowed Ed in the face - I saw it as a straight red. Ref just had a word. Spoke to both players after the game and Ed felt it was purely and accident and Joel confirmed there was no intention - so I was totally wrong but the Ref was spot on

Bob, I really don't want this to drag on like last weekends thread re. Rappo etc However, I don't think the back pass incident was quite so late in the game but it certainly didn't help Sticker's cause and was a bad call. Unlikely to pull 2 goals back but 3 much more difficult!! 

When marking a referee 91-100 says excellent (he clearly was not), 86-100 very accurate decision making using communication skills to add value to the game (nope). Yes, some referees are not approachable after the game, totally agree this guy is a nice chap. But surely he is marked on getting decisions correct and not spending time after the match explaining his decisions. We will both experience much inferior during the season but 9.5 you must have been watching a different game.

4 minutes ago, justanopinion said:

Bob, I really don't want this to drag on like last weekends thread re. Rappo etc However, I don't think the back pass incident was quite so late in the game but it certainly didn't help Sticker's cause and was a bad call. Unlikely to pull 2 goals back but 3 much more difficult!! 

When marking a referee 91-100 says excellent (he clearly was not), 86-100 very accurate decision making using communication skills to add value to the game (nope). Yes, some referees are not approachable after the game, totally agree this guy is a nice chap. But surely he is marked on getting decisions correct and not spending time after the match explaining his decisions. We will both experience much inferior during the season but 9.5 you must have been watching a different game.

Lol - lucky I don’t officially score Refs (not usually so high in the marking). As the name suggests - it’s all opinions and I totally accept yours. 

On 15/09/2021 at 23:55, Dave Deacon said:

No ringers as such, but two or three that have helped out higher level teams this season.

Reece shanley (PARKWAY ) today signed for Helston . Levi Landricombe ,today signed for Buckland . Sam hilson today signed for Torpoint . A nightmare of a day for Gilby .😳

23 minutes ago, mattelot said:

Reece shanley (PARKWAY ) today signed for Helston . Levi Landricombe ,today signed for Buckland . Sam hilson today signed for Torpoint . A nightmare of a day for Gilby .😳

I also think Tom Harris left the other day and also Owen Raven has gone. Bodmin must be rebuilding...............again. 

Is Bodmin still a big club ?  I mean Saltash , helston , mousehole , tavi millbrook etc all gone on to bigger things . Falmouth look like they on they way up. 
bodmin seem to have stagnated  not really any plan ambitions to get promoted.  No real big fanbase I mean a town that size and they get hardly any interest. 
Be interesting to see who wants the Jon when darrens calls it a day. 

7 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

Is Bodmin still a big club ?  I mean Saltash , helston , mousehall , tavi millbrook etc all gone on to bigger things . Falmouth look like they on they way up. 
bodmin seem to have stagnated  not really any plan ambitions to get promoted.  No real big fanbase I mean a town that size and they get hardly any interest. 
Be interesting to see who wants the Jon when darrens calls it a day. 

Who are Mousehall?

11 hours ago, silly billy said:

Who's going to takeover though? There is no one.

Is ex Launceston boss Gary Jeffrey still involved? 

If these really are the last days of Darren Gilbert's tenure, then it is a sad way to end a trophy and success packed era at the club. Bodmin and Gilby are so intrinsically linked, and he is such a driving force at the club both on and off the pitch (have seen frequent appeals for vounteers to get involved) that i worry about them being another Porthleven when he goes. Hope that this is me being overly dramatic. 

Playing wise, the decline on the pitch does seem to have began with Lee Hobbs leaving to take over at Parkway in early 2017. He was obviously a big part in player recruitment and retention.

31 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

This seems to be the issue! So many players must have gone through Bodmin over the past few seasons.

Seemed like back in July and August there was a new signing announced almost every day, how many have stuck around or even appeared? Counting the last two truncated seasons and this one, there must be nearly 100 players who have pulled on the Bodmin shirt. 

One for a bored statto type on rainy Saturday afternoon.

3 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Seemed like back in July and August there was a new signing announced almost every day, how many have stuck around or even appeared? Counting the last two truncated seasons and this one, there must be nearly 100 players who have pulled on the Bodmin shirt. 

One for a bored statto type on rainy Saturday afternoon.

Would imagine the ones who signed full time  got fed up with being benched every time   2 or 3 from elsewhere came for a game.  
there never been any real focus on bringing players through just on what name can bring in. 
what happen to the 3-4 young lads that signed from st cleer have they been given a chance ? 

Always risk of players leaving when you have other players coming in from higher leagues for the odd game for a nice brown envelope, and regulars getting benched. No development at bodmin, just go on big names and try to muddle a team out of them. The successful teams these days develop young/local players and have a clear path through to the first team 

I was talking to someone up at the Newquay game this afternoon and he said this was Darren GILBERTS last game today i think he will wait until the end of the season ,this chap Darren is fed up with players phoning up on the day of a match saying they cant play today then find out they have signed for another club .Hope Darren doesnt leave wont be any characters left in the game then .Things are not good at Bodmin this man said players leaving for big money .