FA VASE, 1st Qualfying Round

Brislington                       4-0           Fleet Town

Exmouth Town               0-1           Shepton Mallet

Ilfracombe Town             0-2           Bishop Sutton

Ringwood Town                 2-0        Bridport

Stonehouse Town           0-2         Ashton & Backwell United

• Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULTS - Saturday 11 September 2021
4 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Anybody at the helston game can fill in what happened? Sounded like an absolute cracker. But no update on the club Twitter page. 

I was commentating on the game for Piran Films and I have to say I'm not sure how it ended up 5 all. Perhaps le boss was at the match and can comment on the turnaround of fortunes!

In a match that featured 10 different scorers, Helston came out after the break 4-1 up. Billy Tucker started the goal rout with a 9th minute effort, before Tyler Elliott's shot/cross was palmed into his own net by the visitors 'keeper. Keynsham came back with a goal themselves from Stef Lee, reward for sticking at it and was a reward for their persistence. However 2 goals in the last three minutes of the half from Ryan Turner (a clever little bender into the far corner) and a touch in by Josh Storey gave Helston a slightly flattering half-time lead!

Keynsham pulled a goal back less than 25 seconds after the interval from Matt Brown, but when Stuart Bowker restored Helston's three goal lead at 5-2 on 54 minutes, I have to say I thought the game was all over. Should they have gone for the jugular after that or sat on the lead? They did neither and when Keynsham's high scoring Will Hailston made it 5-3 just past the hour, no apologies for anyone thinking there might still be a complete comeback.

Sam Jones blasted home a fourth on 77 minutes for the visitors to make it 5-4 and with two minutes of normal time remaining, after some sloppy defending, Adey Harvey got the equaliser. I'm not sure how much he really knew about the goal as Helston's 'keeper Radovanovic came off his line to clear, but his attempt basically hit Harvey on the back of his head and looped back into the empty goalmouth with a couple of nearby Helston defenders not really believing what they had just witnessed!

There was still time to see a Matty Bye shot trickle wide during the considerable amount of added on time, but perhaps we had already been treated to our fair share of goals for one day! 

1 hour ago, Dave Deacon said:

I was commentating on the game for Piran Films and I have to say I'm not sure how it ended up 5 all. Perhaps le boss was at the match and can comment on the turnaround of fortunes!

In a match that featured 10 different scorers, Helston came out after the break 4-1 up. Billy Tucker started the goal rout with a 9th minute effort, before Tyler Elliott's shot/cross was palmed into his own net by the visitors 'keeper. Keynsham came back with a goal themselves from Stef Lee, reward for sticking at it and was a reward for their persistence. However 2 goals in the last three minutes of the half from Ryan Turner (a clever little bender into the far corner) and a touch in by Josh Storey gave Helston a slightly flattering half-time lead!

Keynsham pulled a goal back less than 25 seconds after the interval from Matt Brown, but when Stuart Bowker restored Helston's three goal lead at 5-2 on 54 minutes, I have to say I thought the game was all over. Should they have gone for the jugular after that or sat on the lead? They did neither and when Keynsham's high scoring Will Hailston made it 5-3 just past the hour, no apologies for anyone thinking there might still be a complete comeback.

Sam Jones blasted home a fourth on 77 minutes for the visitors to make it 5-4 and with two minutes of normal time remaining, after some sloppy defending, Adey Harvey got the equaliser. I'm not sure how much he really knew about the goal as Helston's 'keeper Radovanovic came off his line to clear, but his attempt basically hit Harvey on the back of his head and looped back into the empty goalmouth with a couple of nearby Helston defenders not really believing what they had just witnessed!

There was still time to see a Matty Bye shot trickle wide during the considerable amount of added on time, but perhaps we had already been treated to our fair share of goals for one day! 

Any idea of the attendance dave

7 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

120 I’ve seen the league tweet. Have to say it didn’t seem very many but then some of the attendances at this Step 5 level are disappointing.

Very strange there isn’t more going to watch helston especially when the games have been very good value for money. Maybe the interest in local football just isn’t there. 
or they rather travel up to watch argyle etc as I know they have a pretty big following from Cornwall 

Buckland and Exmouth both seem to be having their turns at a blip in form. The Cornish clubs look to have shaken off theirs.Saw that Mousehole have bolstered their squad with a couple of midweek signings, and have added former Wendron boss Jack Greenwood as assistant manager.

Tavistock seem to just keep on going. Notice that they again had step 4 players appearing ("helping out", as opposed to "brought in") with Bideford's Toby Down and Parkway's Callum Hall starting the match.

1 hour ago, sportsman10 said:

Very strange there isn’t more going to watch helston especially when the games have been very good value for money. Maybe the interest in local football just isn’t there. 
or they rather travel up to watch argyle etc as I know they have a pretty big following from Cornwall 

Only 80 at Kimberley yesterday in FA Vase. Very noticeable as the atmosphere wasn’t the best. Mind you the queues at Manadon from Argyle didn’t do us any favours (nearly 14,000) and with games at Millbrook, Torpoint and Parkway did have a bearing. 

I know a few Ashes fans were at Home Park as it’s the biggest game they’ve had since Covid. As a Wednesday fan I won’t comment…. ☠️

3 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Buckland and Exmouth both seem to be having their turns at a blip in form. The Cornish clubs look to have shaken off theirs.Saw that Mousehole have bolstered their squad with a couple of midweek signings, and have added former Wendron boss Jack Greenwood as assistant manager.

Tavistock seem to just keep on going. Notice that they again had step 4 players appearing ("helping out", as opposed to "brought in") with Bideford's Toby Down and Parkway's Callum Hall starting the match.

I don’t see other managers complaints about tavi bringing in parkway players to help out. 👀

1 hour ago, Philheybrookbay said:

Only 80 at Kimberley yesterday in FA Vase. Very noticeable as the atmosphere wasn’t the best. Mind you the queues at Manadon from Argyle didn’t do us any favours (nearly 14,000) and with games at Millbrook, Torpoint and Parkway did have a bearing. 

I know a few Ashes fans were at Home Park as it’s the biggest game they’ve had since Covid. As a Wednesday fan I won’t comment…. ☠️

It not sure games at millbrook or parkway had a bearing on the poor crowd. Truro only had 120 odd and doubt any of them would have been to Saltash in past. 
argyle certainly doesn’t help but I know a lot of people are put off by the price to watch  in Saltash  

shame really for the size of the town when you think say Falmouth get prob 5 times that  

59 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

I don’t see other managers complaints about tavi bringing in parkway players to help out. 👀

It not sure games at millbrook or parkway had a bearing on the poor crowd. Truro only had 120 odd and doubt any of them would have been to Saltash in past. 
argyle certainly doesn’t help but I know a lot of people are put off by the price to watch  in Saltash  

shame really for the size of the town when you think say Falmouth get prob 5 times that  

Price? Really? I’ve been to Bridgwater and it’s £8 there, programme at £3 and 50/50 at £2. I ripped through £25 without blinking when I added in pint and some expensive chips.

Clevedon was £8 as well. 

Prices do seem higher in Step 5 compared to Step 6 but if you’re an adult you can get entry to Kimberley, a prog ( paper one) and 50/50 and still have change from a tenner. 

Yesterday was the exception to the rule- we’ve been getting up around 200 but Cullompton didn’t bring many which clearly lowered our attendance.