Cornwall Football Forum

Players In The Peninsula League Who Could Step Up To The Southern League

Know that it's very early days, but it is conceivable that another Cornish club could join Truro City in the Southern League in the next year or so. Given how Helston seem to be drawing a large contingent of their squad from the North Devon/Exeter area, and the bulk of Truro's squad is from Plymouth, would any Cornish clubs being able to recruit players from the Peninsula into a step 4 squad? Know that Truro tried a local approach under Steve Massey a few years ago that didn't really work, but who do the readers of this forum think is of the necessary standard and currently playing Peninsula League?  A problem I think for Parkway at step 4 level, is that there are several clubs in the Devon area competing for too few players (this would be made worse if Tavistock, Buckland or Exmouth were able to join them).

As an Saltash fan, the first step up to Western League hasn't been a surprise. Yes, it's more physical but there hasn't been a team we've played yet who scared me (although Helston were good). So the change to step 5 from step 6 isn't that big.

In terms of step 4, when we played Paulton Rovers and Cirencester Town last year in FA Cup again they didn't come across as impossible to beat- only Sholing were excellent and did take us to pieces. I think in the coming years we'll see teams from Cornwall climbing up to Step 4 and that in turn will mean more players sticking around with clubs for longer I think. 

The main agreement has been that distance has stopped many players playing at step 4 before, but theres a lot which could and would do very well locally. 

3 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Know that it's very early days, but it is conceivable that another Cornish club could join Truro City in the Southern League in the next year or so. Given how Helston seem to be drawing a large contingent of their squad from the North Devon/Exeter area, and the bulk of Truro's squad is from Plymouth, would any Cornish clubs being able to recruit players from the Peninsula into a step 4 squad? Know that Truro tried a local approach under Steve Massey a few years ago that didn't really work, but who do the readers of this forum think is of the necessary standard and currently playing Peninsula League?  A problem I think for Parkway at step 4 level, is that there are several clubs in the Devon area competing for too few players (this would be made worse if Tavistock, Buckland or Exmouth were able to join them).

WofTP - having watched a lot of Step 5&6 football, I could names 10/12 players who could and probably should be playing Step 4 from the SWPL. Not more than that because some could but are on the decline (in the nice set possible way). Step 4 raises different issues though - defenders are more physical / positionally aware and good strikers are like ‘rocking horse poo’ and managers at that level tend to stick to proven strikers rather than developing them.

if Lee actually wanted to look locally he would see players, but I have never seen him at a game in Cornwall, since Parkway moved to Step 5 . It would appear he wants to stick to Devon players or ones where he has the ‘pull’ to attract them . I have seen Stuart Henderson and Steve Massey from Tavi and Helston at numerous Cornish games- Stuart has signed/ made approaches to several, Steve has his own views, which frankly are about rapid growth rather than building and whilst I know it is Step 5 both managers are looking to strengthen.

The problem for Cornish players is finding a showcase where higher league managers actually watch - it’s easy ‘up country’ . This is why I find it so disappointing that bigger clubs within the County keep buying in the same players, who either never had ambition or were not up to Step 4 and above football. 

3 hours ago, 100%cornish said:

A player i think would have no problem playing in a higher league is Newquays Jack Bray Evans hes got a brilliant football brain and sees things other players dont 

I've watched this lad a few times and although a talented player I've always thought his physique(muscular) has meant he's not as quick as he could be. 

As I've said though.. Still a good player

Just now, Bobjfh said:

WofTP - having watched a lot of Step 5&6 football, I could names 10/12 players who could and probably should be playing Step 4 from the SWPL. Not more than that because some could but are on the decline (in the nice set possible way). Step 4 raises different issues though - defenders are more physical / positionally aware and good strikers are like ‘rocking horse poo’ and managers at that level tend to stick to proven strikers rather than developing them.

if Lee actually wanted to look locally he would see players, but I have never seen him at a game in Cornwall, since Parkway moved to Step 5 . It would appear he wants to stick to Devon players or ones where he has the ‘pull’ to attract them . I have seen Stuart Henderson and Steve Massey from Tavi and Helston at numerous Cornish games- Stuart has signed/ made approaches to several, Steve has his own views, which frankly are about rapid growth rather than building and whilst I know it is Step 5 both managers are looking to strengthen.

The problem for Cornish players is finding a showcase where higher league managers actually watch - it’s easy ‘up country’ . This is why I find it so disappointing that bigger clubs within the County keep buying in the same players, who either never had ambition or were not up to Step 4 and above football. 

Great post. Come on then, name them please. If Lee Hobbs reads this, perhaps he'll pop along to a match and have a look. If the rumours are true, then he did try and sign Reece Thompson from Saltash last year and also had Reece Stanley in the team at the weekend. Matt Cusack was also a pretty recent SWPL manager, so I'm pretty sure he would know who's who on the Cornish scene.

WofTP - I’ve made it a rule never to build up or ‘slag off’ players on a public forum, it’s only opinions after all and most players try their best. I know Lee is a busy man - but over half a dozen visits he could see most of the teams play - make his own mind up as to what he sees and needs and take it wherever he chooses - my main issue is , as the man who decides and the only Step 4 with local ties, he doesn’t look into the county.

By means of example, as a Camels supporter (and there are lots more good players out there), Stuart signed one player (now at Parkway), has just dual signed another two and is trying to sign another - why isn’t Lee looking in the same way?

1 hour ago, Bobjfh said:

WofTP - I’ve made it a rule never to build up or ‘slag off’ players on a public forum, it’s only opinions after all and most players try their best. I know Lee is a busy man - but over half a dozen visits he could see most of the teams play - make his own mind up as to what he sees and needs and take it wherever he chooses - my main issue is , as the man you decides and the only Step 4 with local ties, he doesn’t look into the county.

By means of example, as a Camels supporter (and there are lots more good players out there), Stuart signed one player (now at Parkway), has just dual signed another two and is trying to sign another - why isn’t Lee looking in the same way?

He lets Stuart Henderson do the scouting for him...😉