Cornwall Football Forum

Torpoint AFC

Reading through the website comments, Torpoint seems to be the forgotten cornish team now they have transferred to the East league. 

I see they have played 2, won 2. Scoring 8 and only conceding 1. With 2 of the best strikers in Devon and cornwall with Ryan Richard's and Curtis Dammerall at the club, I was wondering how you lot think they would cope in the west league? 

Losing players to Bodmin and Blazey, after a complicated pre season seems to have brought the players closer together. And win John Heveran the captain, who's played a lot higher standard, scoring goals for fun this season, I can see them going all the way in the East league. 

But where would they finish in the West league, as a lot of you mention this is apparently the harder league. 

I don’t believe that the East league is weaker than the West. Since they’ve made the leagues into 2 there always seemed to be more East teams left in the cup than West. Also in the curtailed Cornwall Cup 2 seasons ago the final would’ve been Torpoint vs Millbrook or Saltash with Millbrook already beating Saltash in the league cup 

6 hours ago, MWhite55 said:

I don’t believe that the East league is weaker than the West. Since they’ve made the leagues into 2 there always seemed to be more East teams left in the cup than West. Also in the curtailed Cornwall Cup 2 seasons ago the final would’ve been Torpoint vs Millbrook or Saltash with Millbrook already beating Saltash in the league cup 

I do believe east far far easier . Only 2/3 hard games,  well as in west at least 8 /10 hard competitive  games I’ve played in both East and west … east  is easier than west why ya think torpoint wanted to stay that side , easier route to the western league they couldn’t of foreseen the likes of blazey and Bodmin being so poor to start off with .. but realistically they wouldn’t finish top 3 in the west . if torpoint don’t win that league with the players and money they paying would be a shock . Richards and Dammers are top top class they will both get 25 each and should fire point to the title .. 

1 hour ago, The waltz said:

I do believe east far far easier . Only 2/3 hard games,  well as in west at least 8 /10 hard competitive  games I’ve played in both East and west … east  is easier than west why ya think torpoint wanted to stay that side , easier route to the western league they couldn’t of foreseen the likes of blazey and Bodmin being so poor to start off with .. but realistically they wouldn’t finish top 3 in the west . if torpoint don’t win that league with the players and money they paying would be a shock . Richards and Dammers are top top class they will both get 25 each and should fire point to the title .. 

As my username suggests I watch football on both sides of the Tamar, both SWPL & WL. Fewer 'big clubs over the river and I see the East as a straight  shootout between the Point and Brixham for the WL spot. West has half a dozen sides who could claim their title and some of the fancied outfits not doing as well as expected. 'The West' is more competitive and better supported at the turnstile. SWPL West definitely stroger!

• 2 weeks later...

It's definitely one of those topics that'll rumble on. Speaking to a local supporter last season, I thought that the top tier sides in the West (Saltash, Mousehole & Helston) were ever so slightly better that what was on offer in the East, however this would've been different in the past with Parkway, Tavistock, Exmouth etc. Prior to the merge, we very much felt like a team on the up finishing 7th in the League. When it comes to this current season, I have no doubt that we'd be competive in the West as we are in the East. 

Dean and Gary have put in an awful lot of work with the guys on the pitch, as seen by the League table over the previous seasons and the CSC Final. As stated in an earlier post, our local rivals Millbrook were in with a shout of joining us in the Final. 

I don't agree with the statement we stayed in the East because it was deemed easier... When we were asked to move at the start of the 19/20 season it was something we saw as a challenge. Personnaly, I wouldn't have been happy with us flip flapping between League's to help with the parity at Step 6. 

Here's to another competive season in the East. As ever, I'll have a watchful eye on the West with Falmouth being the early favourites.