Cornwall Football Forum

I have a feeling there will be a few more until things can settle down. As someone else said with accommodation being harder for younger people and changing jobs because of the pandemic clubs will struggle unless they have a youth system to fall back on. Also there is a big lack of volunteers behind the scenes to do the jobs nobody else wants to do.

Heard Dane Bunney talking on the podcast earlier about players giving up on football as they found other things to do during the enforced shutdowns. If that's at step 5 level, then I suspect it will be even worse in the lower rungs.

I also doubt that the second home owners who have now colonised the Cornish villages, and forced out the locals, have any interest in the local clubs. The lack of affordable accommodation, and jobs, may also precipitate a large migration of youngsters to the cities. Read that university applications are running at record levels, and also know that business near where I live in London are struggling to recruit staff and have plentiful vacancies. My local pub has complained that they cannot get bar staff, even though they are offering £28k/year for 35 hours a week pulling pints and collecting glasses.

I have heard about severel players that have had enough of football and packed in for good , better not get me talking about 2 home owners and holiday homes  something needs to be done to stop this youngsters havnt a chance of getting there own places because of these greedy people 1 bloke i know from London has 6 second homes here in Newquay . Local football  is going to suffer it will be the same every year we will play for who pays the most will kill local football shoud put a cap on what payers are paid 

2 hours ago, Dave Bartlam said:

At Dropship, we have over 130 players on our books but we are struggling to get more than 20 to training, functions etc. It seems commitment is a thing of the past and that players just want to turn up to a game, play football and bugger off.  

2 many clubs so always somewhere to play so they can act like that . Limit the new clubs etc so  they don’t have  anywhere to play , so they commit/ help the clubs or bugger off and play 5 aside in the local park !!! 

5 minutes ago, 6times said:

2 many clubs so always somewhere to play so they can act like that . Limit the new clubs etc so  they don’t have  anywhere to play , so they commit/ help the clubs or bugger off and play 5 aside in the local park !!! 

We are a little bit different; 80% of our players have come through our Flexi League system. Our reserves tomorrow for example, 11 of the 15 haven't played Saturday football in a few seasons (or ever). I feel like we've done it the right way.

We don't charge subs or anything - we pay for it all through our sponsors. Yet that's not even enough for some. Don't get me wrong, they'll turn up, play and do well for us. But a club is so much more than just playing a 90 minute match