Cornwall Football Forum

Applications to join the Combo

I put this in our last Penzance Reserves match programme and no-one told me that my details were wrong so I'm now making it more widely known. A little birdie told me the details.

From what I can gather and the story is not fully complete yet.

There was one definite correct application with all the correct paperwork/fees and that was from Portreath.

Also from the Mining League, Storm and Troon apparently showed an interest but I do not know if they have put in a correct applications/fees.

Also showing an interest were Truro 3rd team, Probus from the East Cornwall, and Mousehole Reserves.

Portreath, Storm and Troon are all in the mining league but Combo rules say only one from any or each league can be promoted and only then if that team finishes in the top 3 and has the required ground facilities.

Truro 3rds can't jump a complete division as they are Fal/Helst Div 2.

Anyone got anything they can add to this thread so I can update my readers in our next match programme

Complate list of the teams that have played in the Combo.

BUGLE RESERVES ,CAMBORNE SCHOOL OF MINES, CARHARRACK, FALMOUTH DOCKS ,FALMOUTH TOWN, FALMOUTH TOWN RESERVES, GOONHAVERN, GOONHAVERN RESERVES, HAYLE, HAYLE RESERVES, HELSTON ATHLETIC, HELSTON ATHLETIC RESERVES, HOLMAN SC, ILLOGAN RBL, ILLOGAN RBL RESERVE, LUDGVAN, MARAZION BLUES, MOUSEHOLE, MULLION, MULLION RESERVES, NANPEAN ROVERS, NANPEAN ROVERS RESERVES, NEWQUAY RESERVES, PENDEEN ROVERS, PENRYN ATHLETIC, PENRYN ATHLETIC RESERVES, PENZANCE RESERVES, PERRANPORTH, PERRANWELL, PORTHLEVEN, PORTHLEVEN RESERVES RAF ST MAWGAN, RNAS CULDROSE, ROCHE, STICKER, ST AGNES, ST BREWARD, ST COLUMB MINOR, ST DAY, ST DENNIS, ST IVES TOWN, ST JUST, TROON, TRURO CITY, TRURO CITY RESERVES, WENDRON CC UNITED, WENDRON CC UNITED RESERVES

Any team can apply from any of the local leagues but to be considered they must finish in the top 3 of their league and have the correct ground facilities - changing rooms, hot showers, etc.

Only one team per league can be accepted to be voted on. So there could be several from say the Fal/Helst but only one might be accepted. But that does not stop the league accepting more than one team into the league as one could come from Mining, another from the Fal/Helst and even one from the ECPL if allowed.

Each application must have the correct paperwork and application fee to be considered.

I am awaiting a copy of the Combo League rules which I will post on the website once I have them.

CTB

The problem with Dracaena is that you do not have exclusive use of the pitch/facilities.

A simple problem that you would find difficult there was roping off the pitch for each match as league rules state.

Postie pidge are you aware that Dracaena is currently being brought up to standard. with new changing rooms for referees and seperate team changing rooms. the pitch is to be dug up at the end of this season with complete new drainage. Most of the grant has come from the FA so they would be shooting themselves in the foot, not to then make the current teams down their eligible for promotion! Also the combo league would be strenghtened by the top fal/hel league sides.(can,t comment on mining league sides sorry) The combo at the moment has a dozen good sides and then is made up of also rans.

the ground facilities ruling is a bit of a strange one really . what are the exact rules there . obviously you can play on a council owned pitch as some combo teams do . also you can share your pitch with cricket teams as some combo teams do . also you can have a sloping pitch and a awful surface as some combo teams do . and you can get changed in wood sheds with two showers . ( sorry st.ives only trying to get a point over ) . so what are the rules ?

Guest Postie Pidge

Top Cat - I thought the council were supposed to have started on it back in October? Once the improvements are done then possibly but in its current state is what I was commenting on

also you can share your pitch with cricket teams as some combo teams do .

Sammo - and hopefully you can share your pitch with another team. I might need to check that one as we don't want to find ourselves homeless after one season!

The top pitch at Clijah is also newly lengthened - the extra 12 yards has made a difference to my old legs. I think I'd prefer the postage stamp, less blades of grass to cover!

The basic requirments are:

1. A pitch that conforms to minimum size - FA regulations.

2. Dugouts for both teams

3. Pitch enclosure/barrier

4. Long term use of pitch - either owning it or having a security of tenure through a lease or licence.

5. Seperate changing rooms & showers for both teams and the referee.

6. Toilets for players & spectators.

7. A stretcher & first aid provision.

thanks john mead for clearing that up . after reading those reqirements i think some combo sides better start worrying about relegation . unless cornishteddyboy knows different ?. looking at the bottom of the combination table i see that st . day who are fifth from bottom have double the points of any of the bottom four . obviously that could change . but if the bottom four teams are that poor compared to the rest of the league . i for one would rather see two good junior sides replace the bottom two .

yes can confirm portreaths pitch passed the inspection . dont know about the petrol money st.justice . but go and watch the area final of the junior cup on tueday at porthleven between portreath and mawnan smith . and tell me where these two teams would finish in the combo league . my personal opionion is both would finish in the top half .

I'm giving it to you in dribs and drabs at the moment.

Truro 3rds, Mousehole Reserves, Storm and Troon will NOT get into the Combo at the end this season as they did not use the proper channels. Only Portreath did.

The Combo have an agreement with the 3 local leagues that if anyone wants to apply for the Combo they must do it with the aid of their own league secretary.

Probus is a diferent story as they have applied from a league (ECPL) that does not have an agreement with the Combo and the matter has still to be resolved. They are not looking for a promotion but a sidewards move.

CTB

As I see the situation, because only one Club has applied for promotion, only the team finishing bottom could be relegated. However, if Truro or Helston are successful in their quest for promotion and the team they replace in SWPL Div 1 West is not relegated into the Combination League, there would be no relegation from the Combination League!

There is no longer a rule which forces the bottom two Clubs to apply for re-election and go into the hat with any other applicants. The other Clubs who have made application to join the League this year can only be considered if there are vacancies to fill and - as the maximum number of teams allowed is 20 - it would appear that there are none at present. The reality is that the only way into the Combination League (or any League above it) is through the promotion route.

yes can confirm portreaths pitch passed the inspection . dont know about the petrol money st.justice . but go and watch the area final of the junior cup on tueday at porthleven between portreath and mawnan smith . and tell me where these two teams would finish in the combo league . my personal opionion is both would finish in the top half .

are you havin a laugh?????

finish in the top half??--dont be silly mate :lol:

Im sure if Portreath went up they would be around the 6th to 10th place mark in the league as every club seems to make a good first impression in the league. However 2nd season always seems tougher.

Has any of the regular stattos (CTB, Pidge) got any details on recent promoted teams to the combo's 1st season finish and 2nd season finish??

Im sure if Portreath went up they would be around the 6th to 10th place mark in the league as every club seems to make a good first impression in the league. However 2nd season always seems tougher.

Has any of the regular stattos (CTB, Pidge) got any details on recent promoted teams to the combo's 1st season finish and 2nd season finish??

that would be because clubs take it for granted that they will beat the "junior"team and so come unstuck to many ego's thinking newly promoted teams will be a walkover good luck to who-ever gets promoted.

If helston first team do get promoted wouldn't there have to be 2 leagues between them and there reserves or is that only higher up the pyramid that this rule applies??????????

So the hope for everyone scrabbling down at the bottom of the league is

St Austell or Callington to finish bottom of the SWPL Div 1 West and be relegated to ECPL. Helston or Truro too go up to be replaced by Portreath. Therefore no relegation from the Combo.

We do not want Goonhavern to be relegated into the Combo as they will force the bottom team out.

Nor do we want Probus's application to succeed as this will mean the bottom team is out.

So everyone lets get behing Goonhavern.

UP THE GOONS :yahoo:

So the hope for everyone scrabbling down at the bottom of the league is

St Austell or Callington to finish bottom of the SWPL Div 1 West and be relegated to ECPL. Helston or Truro too go up to be replaced by Portreath. Therefore no relegation from the Combo.

We do not want Goonhavern to be relegated into the Combo as they will force the bottom team out.

Nor do we want Probus's application to succeed as this will mean the bottom team is out.

So everyone lets get behing Goonhavern.

UP THE GOONS :yahoo:

john mitchell will be your new best friend with comments like that ctb :thumbsup:

I have a soft spot for Goonhavern and think John is doing a great job keeping the playing side of the club afloat.

It must be difficult playing week in week out in front of very few supporters, having no cash to pay players and every week hoping no-one is going to come in for any of his players waving a wad of notes.

Personally I think as this was a new league there should be one seasons grace on relegation from the SWPL Div 1 West and East. Increase the numbers to both divisions to 18 so allowing for promotion up to them.

At the end if next season I would shake the tree and see who falls out and relegate them, but not this season.

Guest Ronin

having no cash to pay players and every week hoping no-one is going to come in for any of his players waving a wad of notes.

Yeah it's terrible when people start offering your players money to change teams isn't it? ^_^

I have the greatest respect for John but I personally hope Goonhavern fall all the way down :P

having no cash to pay players and every week hoping no-one is going to come in for any of his players waving a wad of notes.

Yeah it's terrible when people start offering your players money to change teams isn't it? ^_^

I have the greatest respect for John but I personally hope Goonhavern fall all the way down :P

I know there's local rivalry ronin but thats a bit harsh :SM_carton_y:

If Portreath go up, will the Buckleys play? will John Salmon play?

If they struggle, which I'm not sure they will do, but they certainly won't dominate like they've done this year, will a player of Duane Britton's ability move onto a different club in the same league who's challenging for honours?

Guest sweeper

Although Portreath's aim all season has been to be promoted to Combo we are not counting our chickens yet.

There is still a long way to go and a lot of good teams fighting for the Div 1 title.

As far as the players you have mentioned are concerned, I have spoken to them all and to the best of my knowledge and beliefs, and I have no reason to doubt them, they will all be staying at the club for next season and are willing to fight to keep their places in the squad.

iv heard that if truro 3rds gain promotion from div2, they can go combo if the 2nd team get promoted, which is very likely.

so whats the truth??

hey not my words son..

just what iv been told. i duno where they would play, but people from the club have been talking about it. i suppose maybe at treyew road, however with the 1st team and 2nd team also playing there i cant see it myself.

didnt hayle and wendron teams jump up a league last year tho??

HI,

Storms application was done in time with the correct fee, however the supporting letter from the league was later than usual but still before the march 31st deadline.

Its all irrelevant now as the way our season has gone we won't be in the top three and so wouldn't be considered anyway.

watch out for us next year though...

hey not my words son..

just what iv been told. i duno where they would play, but people from the club have been talking about it. i suppose maybe at treyew road, however with the 1st team and 2nd team also playing there i cant see it myself.

didnt hayle and wendron teams jump up a league last year tho??

I think that was because withhayle and wendrons first teams going in to the new peninsula league it would have left the combo light of teams that wont happen this season as the only teams moving would do so by promotion or relegation so league no's will remain the same