Buckland Athletic v Wellington
Ilfracombe Town v Tavistock
Millbrook v Mousehole
Shepton Mallet v Bridport

Wed 04 Aug

Clevedon Town v Cadbury Heath
Helston Athletic v Saltash
Street v Exmouth Town

It's hard to be reasonable at this news. All 4 Cornish clubs are solvent, have been planning for Step 5 for years in some cases, and have done major work to their grounds. 

I'm mindful of the Tavistock v Odd Down situation on 28th December last year. That was a hint at things brewing. 

The Western League have to take control of this and point out, we are all in a national league system. If a club feels that they cannot comply then Step 6 or 7 can be applied for. 

When you look at the hard work undertaken at Saltash/Millbrook/Helston and Mousehole and we accept our costs and travelling for players and supporters what is the difference. Its the Western League, not the Greater Bristol league. 

Well said Phil 👍👏🏼  Said what I was thinking!! Western league clubs have had it pretty easy travelling wise since the days of when Saltash and Liskeard dominated the league! They were top sides I can tell you from experience! (some good, some bad!) Would love to see our sides do well again at that level and I’m sure they will. Our teams will be doing far more travelling than the rest of the teams in the league this season but ain’t heard any of them complaining! 🤔🙄👍

23 hours ago, Philheybrookbay said:

It's hard to be reasonable at this news. All 4 Cornish clubs are solvent, have been planning for Step 5 for years in some cases, and have done major work to their grounds. 

I'm mindful of the Tavistock v Odd Down situation on 28th December last year. That was a hint at things brewing. 

The Western League have to take control of this and point out, we are all in a national league system. If a club feels that they cannot comply then Step 6 or 7 can be applied for. 

When you look at the hard work undertaken at Saltash/Millbrook/Helston and Mousehole and we accept our costs and travelling for players and supporters what is the difference. Its the Western League, not the Greater Bristol league. 

The Western League have got into a right old mess here. Is there a process in place where the FA step in and take direct control?

All sorted now - the fixtures have been released!

Available on the Toolstation Western League app.

Mike - I don’t think it was Odd Down that caused the last minute hiccup as they had already taken voluntary demotion. They are now in Division One and as far as I can see all it really means that odd number of teams in divisions which means for example Millbrook don’t start their season on the opening day of the season!

3 hours ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

No league meetings in two incomplete seasons between the Ashes and Helston now two WL games in 3 weeks! 

Think top half of the table will be heavily populated by Cornwall & Devon clubs. 

Hope you're right, but don't get carried away with how well Parkway, Tavi and Exmouth (not forgetting Buckland) have done after promotion, it's a tough league. Clubs will need to settle in, will be interesting to see how they deal with a bad run of results (especially if they come after some long away trips). 

22 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Hope you're right, but don't get carried away with how well Parkway, Tavi and Exmouth (not forgetting Buckland) have done after promotion, it's a tough league. Clubs will need to settle in, will be interesting to see how they deal with a bad run of results (especially if they come after some long away trips). 

I agree with you largely WOTP. However, having previously  watched Buckland for a few seasons that experience suggests *overall* the Cornish experience can be a good one. The team I see most of the 'Cornish 4' - Saltash United - have, in my view a good chance of top4 to top 6 position in the WL.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Couple of interesting names on teamsheets yesterday. Jack Calver for Mousehole and Mark Gusterson for Tavi. Are these permanent signings, or just playing as Bideford and St Blazey's respective leagues have yet to begin?

I still don’t understand why tavi haven’t got a top striker in when crago went. Is it the budget ? Why did they not go all out for landricombe when parkway let him go he be perfect for them 

Seems bit odd first game and they are already borrowing players 

31 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

I still don’t understand why tavi haven’t got a top striker in when crago went. Is it the budget ? Why did they not go all out for landricombe when parkway let him go he be perfect for them 

Seems bit odd first game and they are already borrowing players 

It does seem odd. Notice that Jason Vincent (new signing) wasn't in the squad, neither was Josh Grant. No idea if it was unavailability or injury for those two. Read that Jordan Annear has departed the club as well, no idea where he has gone and have not spotted him elsewhere. Rate him as a player, but he just never seems to settle anywhere. Wonder what the reasons are for this. Being based in Truro (I think) thought he would have been a good fit for Helston.