Cornwall Football Forum

The Way Too Early Premier West Championship Favourites 2021/2022 Poll !

Who will win Premier West Championship 2021/2022 ?   

69 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win Premier West Championship 2021/2022 ?

• Bodmin Town
    • Camelford
    • Callington Town
    • Dobwalls
    • Falmouth Town
    • Goldophin Atlantic
    • Launceston
    • Liskeard Athletic
    • Newquay
    • Penryn Athletic
    • Penzance
    • Porthleven
    • St Austell
    • St Blazey
    • St Dennis
    • Wadebridge Town
    • Wendron United
    • Sticker

17 minutes ago, Mark Jones said:

Who’s your favourites? Western league awaits ! 

For me Mark, I have to say Falmouth. I was blown away on my trip down there last year with my grandson, packed loud and as close to a football league crowd I think you'd get this low down the pyramid. I'd like to see them go up and carry on growing, I'll be making the trip from Truro a number of times this year.

I'm resisting the temptation to get on the St Blazey train. Based on the idea of how great it would be to see Western League football at Lantoom Park, Dobwalls. Hoping though that 2021/22 is the year that two slumbering giants, Newquay and Penzance, get into the picture. Probably will be from Bodmin, Falmouth or  Blazey though.

A bit more evolution rather than revolution from Falmouth Town again this summer. Two promising young signings in Alex Wharton and Andreas Calejas-Stayn and then some experience in the centre-half and ex Uni. of Exeter captain Will Davis.  Kevin Miller as goalkeeping coach too. And then the 12th Man....The F-Troop. 

They may be the ones to beat this year.

I have to say, it's St Blazeys to lose. The quality of the signings and the upgrades at Blaise Park are clearly aimed at Western League. 

Can't comment but if it's like last season, then look out for the rise of Callington (most of last seasons Blazey squad), Camelford who gave Saltash a Heck of game and St Austell (building a young talented squad). Add in Falmouth and Newquay and that's my top 6. 

I just don't rate Bodmins changes or chances. We know Darren's Gilbert can't keep a squad playing for all the games, and that is in opnion the only way to promotion these days- a squad which is solid year in year out.

I've stated in the East Torpoint should be the winners,  but Brixham, Ivybridge and I think possibly Ottery will be up there. 

12 hours ago, Paul said:

Get it wrapped up by Xmas and then we can enjoy the new year. No point waiting until January. 

Forget all the 'who should win it' nonsense. Lets just hope for a complete season and a competitive one. 

Half the league could win it next season.

Totally agree in let’s hope for a complete season. The poll is just a bit of fun to wet people’s appetite for hopefully competitive season. 

stay safe everyone 

19 hours ago, Philheybrookbay said:

I have to say, it's St Blazeys to lose. The quality of the signings and the upgrades at Blaise Park are clearly aimed at Western League. 

Can't comment but if it's like last season, then look out for the rise of Callington (most of last seasons Blazey squad), Camelford who gave Saltash a Heck of game and St Austell (building a young talented squad). Add in Falmouth and Newquay and that's my top 6. 

I just don't rate Bodmins changes or chances. We know Darren's Gilbert can't keep a squad playing for all the games, and that is in opnion the only way to promotion these days- a squad which is solid year in year out.

I've stated in the East Torpoint should be the winners,  but Brixham, Ivybridge and I think possibly Ottery will be up there. 

Also, look out for Okehampton Argyle challenging in the east. A team that has several ex Tiverton and Willand players in their ranks,

17 hours ago, leedsunited said:

Mega mega mega bucks at Blaise Park this season. Phi£ has gone all out to get the trophy. With Helston /Mousehole going on to pastures new I can see Blazey Champions by January. 

Blazeys to lose. 

How much is mega, mega, mega bucks Leeds?   I am sure you don't have a clue.  You are just going on what the players who have signed have got at other places.   I understand they are not being paid anything because they just want to play for Phil.

2 hours ago, Outsider said:

How much is mega, mega, mega bucks Leeds?   I am sure you don't have a clue.  You are just going on what the players who have signed have got at other places.   I understand they are not being paid anything because they just want to play for Phil.

If you believe they are playing for nothing, fair dues but. I think nobody does anything for nothing nowaday, even in football 

All the lads that have gone to Blazey our Phils boys and they have gone there because i would think they all know each other so well and would be happy there ,but there could be a few red cards there with Martin Giles and Sam Cooper there both great players but a little hot headed  I will also say Blazey will of wrapped up the league by January and could go the whole season unbeaten 

14 minutes ago, 100%cornish said:

All the lads that have gone to Blazey our Phils boys and they have gone there because i would think they all know each other so well and would be happy there ,but there could be a few red cards there with Martin Giles and Sam Cooper there both great players but a little hot headed  I will also say Blazey will of wrapped up the league by January and could go the whole season unbeaten 

Would love to see your prediction come true, my main concern is who’s gonna get the goals. Can’t just rely on Eddy. Hope Phil has someone in mind.

35 minutes ago, 100%cornish said:

Think Eddy is not the player he was out  nearly all season with injury ,i wouldnt be surprised to see Goldsworthy there next 

On the Soccer Podcast Goldie said he was staying at Mousehole 

Straight shoot out between Blazey and Bodmin for me with Falmouth sneaking into 3rd.

Can’t get my head around who will finish where from the rest.

Newquay always seem to knock on the top 7 door.

Much has been said about Callington with all the ex Blazey boys going there (albeit they never set the world on fire anyway) but the Club is and has been in a mess for a while so anything could happen there.

Reg Hambly will continue to push Camelford forward.

Liskeard have signed the average crop from Ivybridge and reports of huge signing on fees are laughable.

Dobwalls will always be the underdog but could and will surprise a few with their physical approach.

Looking forward to an interesting season.

As much as I like Dan Hart as a player and person, I fear for Launceston this year- clearly Callington and Penzance have added depth.

St Dennis not playing at home for a month will have a bearing on the early table and may not recover. Porthleven is an unknown but never an easy place Gala Parc.

Godolphin well, who knows. Last two trips to Kimberley never happened ( not that I'm bitter) 

Cant see past Blazey, Falmouth, Bodmin as top 3. Absolutely happy to be proven wrong though. St Austell i'm sure will be up there, along with the likes of Camelford, Newquay, Wadebridge causing problems and taking points off the top lot.

A couple of relatively unknowns/unspoken about this year: Sticker - not heard much from them, usually a well organised young side, hope they do well

Penryn - new to the league, will they struggle, or will they flourish and have a strong campaign?

Godolphin & Callington - under new management, Callington obviously going to be the stronger of the two but how far does that take him? Godolphin busy on twitter, but does that mean they'll have the quality they need?

Penzance & Porthleven - Penzance made some solid signings, Kev Lawrence as a player/coach will help them for sure. Penlee Park, a piece of Cornish Football history, always a tough place to go. Porthleven - very quiet in the window, have lost Fraser to Mousehole, weren't overly strong last year so could be in danger of a relegation battle if not invested in the squad

St Dennis - made signings such as Timmons, Cooper, the boy Marks etc, but assuming all have left (Timmons & Cooper confirmed), where does that leave them? Usually a team full of local boys, happy to put up a fight, will score goals but will concede as well (personally a team i loved watching as there were guaranteed goals!)

4 hours ago, SCFC said:

St Dennis - made signings such as Timmons, Cooper, the boy Marks etc, but assuming all have left (Timmons & Cooper confirmed), where does that leave them? Usually a team full of local boys, happy to put up a fight, will score goals but will concede as well (personally a team i loved watching as there were guaranteed goals!)

Announced today Marks also signed for St Blazey 

You can add Dan PETERS and now the St Dennis manager Jack Barbery has left ,such a shame nice club run by nice people ,hope they can rebuild and get in players who will play for the club and not care about how much they are going to get paid and when the money stops thet just bugger off to another club to pick up there money 

4 minutes ago, 100%cornish said:

You can add Dan PETERS and now the St Dennis manager Jack Barbery has left ,such a shame nice club run by nice people ,hope they can rebuild and get in players who will play for the club and not care about how much they are going to get paid and when the money stops thet just bugger off to another club to pick up there money 

Shame this is happening at St Dennis, believe they have invested their precious funds into ground improvements (including floodlights) rather than players. This has to be correct in the long term.

On 23/06/2021 at 09:25, SCFC said:

Cant see past Blazey, Falmouth, Bodmin as top 3. Absolutely happy to be proven wrong though. St Austell i'm sure will be up there, along with the likes of Camelford, Newquay, Wadebridge causing problems and taking points off the top lot.

A couple of relatively unknowns/unspoken about this year: Sticker - not heard much from them, usually a well organised young side, hope they do well

Penryn - new to the league, will they struggle, or will they flourish and have a strong campaign?

Godolphin & Callington - under new management, Callington obviously going to be the stronger of the two but how far does that take him? Godolphin busy on twitter, but does that mean they'll have the quality they need?

Penzance & Porthleven - Penzance made some solid signings, Kev Lawrence as a player/coach will help them for sure. Penlee Park, a piece of Cornish Football history, always a tough place to go. Porthleven - very quiet in the window, have lost Fraser to Mousehole, weren't overly strong last year so could be in danger of a relegation battle if not invested in the squad

Think Penryn could surprise a few. Group of players that have been together for a while, up and coming young manager in Harry Pope and the Ryan Reeves/Jack Rapsey combination will always get goals. They probably need to deepen the squad a bit though.

On 23/06/2021 at 09:25, SCFC said:

I think it makes for a very exciting season.

I'd like to think that Falmouth with the famous F-Troop behind them will be strong favorites this year. Can't wait to enjoy a number of games there next season.

I worry for Launceston this season in particular as there doesn't seem to be much improvement on the squad. Will they beat the drop next year? 

On 22/06/2021 at 17:47, 100%cornish said:

" Trouble is if the do win the league they won't have a team for western league can't see many of their players stepping up, never have even when young enough .

On 24/06/2021 at 13:15, Greygen said:

I think it makes for a very exciting season.

I'd like to think that Falmouth with the famous F-Troop behind them will be strong favorites this year. Can't wait to enjoy a number of games there next season.

I worry for Launceston this season in particular as there doesn't seem to be much improvement on the squad. Will they beat the drop next year? 

I doubt there will be relegation from SWPL as they have vacancies to be filled. Only 18 teams in West v 20 in the East. Sadly, my local club, Lanson, look like they've a tough season ahead. Interesting test first up, home to Penryn tho'.

Going for 1. Blazey 2. Falmouth 3. Bodmin 4. Newquay

In the East - 1. Torpoint 2. Brixham.

I hope the improvement shown by Camelford, Dobwalls, maybe Wadebridge continues.

Cally Town will improve if new recruits and manager stay

Got my nearest club, Lanson, to be in the bottom 2. Hope to be wrong on this one!

21 hours ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

I doubt there will be relegation from SWPL as they have vacancies to be filled. Only 18 teams in West v 20 in the East. 

It has been announced that 3 teams will be relegated from each SWPL division.

I’m not sure if this a one year only solution, perhaps to reduce to to 18 teams?

2 hours ago, baldy said:

I’m not sure if this a one year only solution, perhaps to reduce to to 18 teams?

No reductions Baldy - the FA have changed relegation at Step 6 from bottom 2 to bottom 3 but clubs will be reprieved if nobody to replace them, starting with 3rd bottom, then 2nd bottom and if necessary bottom.
It won't reduce sizes of divisions

2 hours ago, baldy said:

No master plan @baldy.  It's a change to the NLS regulations and applies to all 17 Step 6 divisions.  There are a number of caveats and nobody's quite sure yet how it'll work but that'll be determined by the FA.  I personally can't see it being a regular occurrence in our part of the country but who knows.

4 hours ago, baldy said:

In my opinion, it would be a difficult task to find 6 clubs, across all Feeder Leagues, which have the necessary facilities/planning permission/funds to allow promotion. Ambition and a high enough finishing position are not enough on their own.

1 hour ago, John Mead said:

In my opinion, it would be a difficult task to find 6 clubs, across all Feeder Leagues, which have the necessary facilities/planning permission/funds to allow promotion. Ambition and a high enough finishing position are not enough on their own.

50 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

One of the down sides of the National League System in my opinion!

I agree completely.  After the appeals the NLS now has Step 6 Divisions ranging from 16 to 23 in number so where they go at the end of next season is anybody's guess.  The FA certainly seem more willing to have more lateral movement at Step 6 than in previous times but that would tend to impact SWPL East more than the West.

As an aside, there are some Step 6 divisions with three feeder leagues so that may explain some of the thinking behind the regulation change.

1 hour ago, Dave Deacon said:

No reductions Baldy - the FA have changed relegation at Step 6 from bottom 2 to bottom 3 but clubs will be reprieved if nobody to replace them, starting with 3rd bottom, then 2nd bottom and if necessary bottom.
It won't reduce sizes of divisions

I was / am looking at the *likelihood* of relegation at the end of next season. Whilst there is provision for teams to be relegated, the Leqgue has two unfilled vacancies. Both East & West divisions should be 20 strong. Surely the priority will be reach that figure? Bear in mind only Penryn met the entrance requirements for 'West' this time around. Where are the additional teams with everything in place to force teams down from the SWPL?

Maybe I'm interpreting things wrongly. Relegation whilst possible, seems unlikely.

With the West having just the one feeder league, the farce of applications for vacancies in StPW may continue for a year or two and not easy to see who the likely promotion seeking clubs are.

Torpoint we’re offered a place in the West but declined. 

On 24/06/2021 at 10:01, Way Of The Park said:

Think Penryn could surprise a few. Group of players that have been together for a while, up and coming young manager in Harry Pope and the Ryan Reeves/Jack Rapsey combination will always get goals. They probably need to deepen the squad a bit though.

From what I have seen Penryn will need to sign a Defence and GK (Jason Peters was only a loan) to stay in the league.

Going forward they looked fine.

JW