Cornwall Football Forum

Truro City Reserves could be in after all!

I'm hearing a rumbling that Truro City might be having a Reserve side in the SPL after all!

Something to do with the vote that took place at the recent AGM not being part of the National League System regulations.

It in essence means that Truro City Reserves should be accepted into the league and  presumably this will be the spare place in the West Division.

57 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

I'm hearing a rumbling that Truro City might be having a Reserve side in the SPL after all!

Something to do with the vote that took place at the recent AGM not being part of the National League System regulations.

It in essence means that Truro City Reserves should be accepted into the league and  presumably this will be the spare place in the West Division.

Yes they are in 

1 hour ago, Dave Deacon said:

I can confirm that Truro City Reserves will compete in St Piran (West) next season.

I’m not for Truro or anti Truro but this just shows what an absolute joke Cornish football is in at the moment , what’s the point of meetings /agms/ promotions/relegations . 
can anyone here tell me honestly that Cornish football is in a good healthy state , no can can blame the likes of saltash , mousehole , helston for getting out and there will be a lot more trying to join them . 

57 minutes ago, 6times said:

I’m not for Truro or anti Truro but this just shows what an absolute joke Cornish football is in at the moment , what’s the point of meetings /agms/ promotions/relegations . 
can anyone here tell me honestly that Cornish football is in a good healthy state , no can can blame the likes of saltash , mousehole , helston for getting out and there will be a lot more trying to join them . 

Bit harsh to say Cornish football is a joke because of a possible admin faux-pas!

Don’t forget the likes of Saltash, Mousehole and Helston that you mention are very much part of Cornish football still. Just playing in a different league!

The FA omitted to include a vital addendum in the latest version of SCOR, which would have highlighted that the protocol stated in the rule about filling vacancies did not apply to Feeder Leagues -  who have to follow the same rule as the NLS when it comes to filling vacancies. No-one was aware of this!

Whatever but no one can say what’s happening drown this end of the world  is good for Cornish football every league is now sub standard , I’ll watch st blazey v Falmouth this year probably nothing else . Perranporth not getting a point last year promoted Truro not getting in , sorry we got that wrong nope your in . Cornish footballs been dwindling down for years . Understand wanting the be part of fa structure but 1 man and a dog watch’s games down here , travel for 95% of Cornish teams is a problem. 
what’s wrong with the way Truro left the jswl if those clubs with wealthy owners want progress there’s ways . But the county shouldn’t ruin Cornish football just to be part of a system . What will happen with a sticker /Wendron/penryn /porthleven if they were to win the league that’ll only get weaker how can they survive when they HAVE to go up to the western league it’ll kill em . 

Before I stick my nose into this, I’m commenting as an individual - not the club I represent. I didn’t want to create a new profile as people are quick to dismiss the views of new profiles as keyboard warriors. I’ve no issue with Truro City - for a long time I’ve felt strongly about Truro putting Cornish football on the map and would’ve hoped that their FA Cup run several years ago would’ve aided this. I’m a fan of S4C for the benefits of football within the county and for a long time have thought Truro should’ve had a reserve side - and that the original one shouldn’t have been disbanded (on the flip side, we as a club benefited from this). 
I’m also a huge fan of the St Piran league, from its formation it has been run impressively and I even nominated them for an award in this year’s County FA awards!

I think it’s important to respect everyone’s views on this and they’re entitled to have opinions on the situation and their views of Truro on seemingly petty things or historic issues surrounding Heaney etc. I dislike Perranwell because they served me burnt chips once and didn’t have toilet roll when I needed a poo (unrelated incidents), so people are entitled to dislike Truro or not want them to enter directly into this league for the way they conducted themselves when last at this level/step/standard of football - so be it. On the other side, people are entitled to positive opinions on the matter, it may mean more football (although that’s not even a given now!), or raise the standard of it. 

My own thoughts/concerns/questions are:

- the impact it has on surrounding teams. These players are not ‘new’ players coming from the u18s - many are attached to current clubs in this league and those around it and represented them last season. 
- what happens if Truro win the league? Will an enforced promotion take place and do their facilities allow it? I don’t believe ‘S4C’ will be ready then and a ground share isn’t an option (hence why the St Dennis ground share proposal broke down to my knowledge?). 
- surely the votes and opinions of the league’s founder members stand for something, the fact that this took place and has now been ‘cancelled’ (for want of a better term) brings unnecessary disrepute upon the league as well as unnecessary tensions. 
- the fact that this has been overturned within a day. The St Piran League has a clear Appeals policy which looks to take longer than a day, unless this has been taken above that then the question would be how, why and what power would then make that decision. I know several CCFA members are involved with Truro Res/u18s, but surely they wouldn’t be involved in this if those rules are similar to the appeals rules within St Piran League which state committee representatives associated with clubs can’t sit on the appeals panel. 
- I know that John Mead mentioned above regarding the SCOR - I have had a quick look through the FA’s 2020/21 SCOR and it states that:

3.1 The matter of placements for Clubs in Feeder Leagues is for the League (pg 396)

This indicates that the vote at the AGM was correct? Happy to be pointed in the direction of any other relevant SCOR though? 

- the St Piran rules say that the AGM is for election of clubs - so if this isn’t true surely the relevant Gov. bodies would pick up on this when the rules are submitted. 

-Morally it feels off. Would the same apply to a SWPL looking to enter a newly formed reserve side? 

-They could enter the Combination/ECPL, establish themselves for a season, support the development of the players and then enter, or apply to, the St Piran league. Entering at what is effectively the second highest league in Cornish football feels morally wrong. 

Sorry for the long post, and a bit of a tedious one. Doesn’t sit right with me and I am a bit of a stickler for rules and regs and I can’t see how this has been turned over so quickly when all look to be above board originally? 

Josh

Hasn’t the procedure changed though and that’s what has thrown the SPL out!

In previous years where a league has operated under SCOR, the voting by member clubs was the way, but with the SPL being a feeder league and part of the NLS, how clubs are allocated is different!

It does seem a little confusing though the link up with the NLS - some times they are, some times they’re not! 🥴

1 hour ago, Dave Deacon said:

Hasn’t the procedure changed though and that’s what has thrown the SPL out!

Spot on Dave. Nearly all changes affecting NLS Feeder Leagues in the 2021/22 SCOR were highlighted in red - mainly a change from "Step 7" to the new name. The rider that Feeder Leagues have to follow NLS rules when filling vacancies was neither included nor highlighted in any draft of SCOR published so far!

4 minutes ago, John Mead said:

Spot on Dave. Nearly all changes affecting NLS Feeder Leagues in the 2021/22 SCOR were highlighted in red - mainly a change from "Step 7" to the new name. The rider that Feeder Leagues have to follow NLS rules when filling vacancies was neither included nor highlighted in any draft of SCOR published so far!

Haven’t made it easy for themselves have they?

Is this document accessible as the only one I have seen - admittedly I haven’t looked for long - is this one: the-fa-handbook-2020-21-updated.ashx#pag

Not making it easy for the leagues up and down the country by being so secretive about it - and how was it that Truro knew when nobody else seemed to? 

By the way, it’s of no bother to me personally what the outcome is, just raises a few questions. 

I'll  be brief as I'm about to go on a long road trip.

7 hours ago, John Mead said:

John is exactly right.  Some key omissions from SCOR took us to this position.

7 hours ago, WendronOfficial said:

Not making it easy for the leagues up and down the country by being so secretive about it - and how was it that Truro knew when nobody else seemed to? 

No they haven't.  Appendix A, Regulation 3 to the NLS Regulations is what you're looking for.  Regulation 12 in the main document also applies.  They can be a little difficult to find using Google.

Truro were not aware of this regulation and were following the SCOR appeals procedure.  It was pointed out by the FA when advice was been taken.  

Proposed changes to SCOR have been sent to the grassroots department of the FA and these have been passed to their rules working group. 

6 hours ago, WendronOfficial said:

Is this document accessible as the only one I have seen - admittedly I haven’t looked for long - is this one: the-fa-handbook-2020-21-updated.ashx#pag

By the way, it’s of no bother to me personally what the outcome is, just raises a few questions.

Josh, for someone who’s not bothered about the outcome you have been quite vocal on the matter. Wendron have benefitted multiple times from applications for promotion BTW and wouldn’t think twice of going down the route Truro City have, if they felt it would benefit them.  

As for being a stickler for rules and regs, it’s probably good to remember there’s young players involved at the heart of this, who are keen to progress and fulfil their potential. What’s more important, rules & regulations,  the “integrity” of Cornish football and the club’s own parochial interests or the development of the County’s most able young players?  Whilst I appreciate the players have been with other clubs previously,  the adult clubs don’t own them and in reality the vast majority of these player’s development has been aided by their youth coaches around the County, including John and Paul. The fact that the players are willing to play a division lower than possible elsewhere surely shows that their loyalty has been earned? I’m confident that these players are more than capable of identifying the right environment for them to receive a level of coaching that justifies the drop to the St Piran’s league, when all would have had options a division higher. 

Personally, I find the idea of any club going out of their way to take away opportunities for young players repugnant and that it is probably an fair insight into said club’s priorities, values and decision making. These boys need to find THEIR level, which there is arguably greater opportunity to do with Truro City than at other step 6 or 7 teams. Some might disagree with that, probably based on history or personal bias, but in reality it’s not their decision to make - that’s up to the players. 

It does trouble me that a club with a youth section would be anti young players getting game time with excellent coaching and opportunities to progress. I genuinely feel both Wendron and you are on the wrong side of this argument,  morally and strategically. 

1 hour ago, CRD said:

Josh, for someone who’s not bothered about the outcome you have been quite vocal on the matter. Wendron have benefitted multiple times from applications for promotion BTW and wouldn’t think twice of going down the route Truro City have, if they felt it would benefit them.  

As for being a stickler for rules and regs, it’s probably good to remember there’s young players involved at the heart of this, who are keen to progress and fulfil their potential. What’s more important, rules & regulations,  the “integrity” of Cornish football and the club’s own parochial interests or the development of the County’s most able young players?  Whilst I appreciate the players have been with other clubs previously,  the adult clubs don’t own them and in reality the vast majority of these player’s development has been aided by their youth coaches around the County, including John and Paul. The fact that the players are willing to play a division lower than possible elsewhere surely shows that their loyalty has been earned? I’m confident that these players are more than capable of identifying the right environment for them to receive a level of coaching that justifies the drop to the St Piran’s league, when all would have had options a division higher. 

Personally, I find the idea of any club going out of their way to take away opportunities for young players repugnant and that it is probably an fair insight into said club’s priorities, values and decision making. These boys need to find THEIR level, which there is arguably greater opportunity to do with Truro City than at other step 6 or 7 teams. Some might disagree with that, probably based on history or personal bias, but in reality it’s not their decision to make - that’s up to the players. 

It does trouble me that a club with a youth section would be anti young players getting game time with excellent coaching and opportunities to progress. I genuinely feel both Wendron and you are on the wrong side of this argument,  morally and strategically. 

Dave - no personal issue so please don’t make it one. 
As I said in my original post, I’m not anti- Truro as some are. I’m not bothered by the outcome as it has no implication on me - however it bothers me that it impacts many local clubs in the area and the sense that a newly founded team can enter what is effectively the second highest tier in Cornish football is morally wrong and lacks integrity, and if it bypasses the rules and regulations then yes I do put that above the development of the players as for many of them they were accessing high quality coaching and opportunities to progress at their attached clubs already. 
To make that last comment on your post is wrong, and you have got a rise out of me there. My original post clearly stated that this was my personal opinion and not that of the club I post under. And you, as many others know, that Wendron have clear opportunities for progression from youth to progress throughout our youth to men’s section and although I don’t know the workings of other clubs, I’d say that presently and historically we do that the best within our locality, although there are others doing great work in that field too like Helston and Mousehole, as well as Porthleven now setting up a youth development. 

Also, as in my original comment too, by entering the Combo or ECPL it still gives those players that opportunity to develop, taste competitive ‘men’s’ football at a good level without having years to progress through the Duchy or Trelawny pyramid and allows them as a newly formed team to have a season of sustainability before progressing further. 

My views are in no way a reflection on my views of any players - as you know I know some and hold them in incredibly high regard. Likewise with any of their management/committee - I don’t really know them so have no judgement on them. 

I’ll leave it on the matter now, said my bit and thanks to @John Meadand @Steve Carpenter on answering my questions. Don’t envy your task in the slightest and they both know I’ve been a huge fan of the league; which again the reputation of is a consideration in this too by allowing a team in in this fashion, although that is seemingly out of their control. 

All the best to you all! Enjoy your weekend

14 minutes ago, WendronOfficial said:

Dave - no personal issue so please don’t make it one. 
As I said in my original post, I’m not anti- Truro as some are. I’m not bothered by the outcome as it has no implication on me - however it bothers me that it impacts many local clubs in the area and the sense that a newly founded team can enter what is effectively the second highest tier in Cornish football is morally wrong and lacks integrity, and if it bypasses the rules and regulations then yes I do put that above the development of the players as for many of them they were accessing high quality coaching and opportunities to progress at their attached clubs already. 
To make that last comment on your post is wrong, and you have got a rise out of me there. My original post clearly stated that this was my personal opinion and not that of the club I post under. And you, as many others know, that Wendron have clear opportunities for progression from youth to progress throughout our youth to men’s section and although I don’t know the workings of other clubs, I’d say that presently and historically we do that the best within our locality, although there are others doing great work in that field too like Helston and Mousehole, as well as Porthleven now setting up a youth development. 

Also, as in my original comment too, by entering the Combo or ECPL it still gives those players that opportunity to develop, taste competitive ‘men’s’ football at a good level without having years to progress through the Duchy or Trelawny pyramid and allows them as a newly formed team to have a season of sustainability before progressing further. 

My views are in no way a reflection on my views of any players - as you know I know some and hold them in incredibly high regard. Likewise with any of their management/committee - I don’t really know them so have no judgement on them. 

I’ll leave it on the matter now, said my bit and thanks to @John Meadand @Steve Carpenter on answering my questions. Don’t envy your task in the slightest and they both know I’ve been a huge fan of the league; which again the reputation of the is a consideration in this too by allowing a team in in this fashion, although that is seemingly out of their control. 

All the best to you all! Enjoy your weekend

The thing is Josh, it IS a personal issue for the young players involved. Easy for the clubs to hide behind procedures, integrity of the league etc, when a large amount of this is probably about the players and which club/s they are at. Please remember that some of us have children that have been put in an awkward situation by this, you must appreciate that?

Some believe that the player’s best interest should always come first and others the club, the rules or the committee. For me if we do what’s right by the players, everything else falls into place. I imagine we’ll just have to agree to disagree on that. 

Hope you have a good weekend too.

26 minutes ago, CRD said:

The thing is Josh, it IS a personal issue for the young players involved. Easy for the clubs to hide behind procedures, integrity of the league etc, when a large amount of this is probably about the players and which club/s they are at. Please remember that some of us have children that have been put in an awkward situation by this, you must appreciate that?

Some believe that the player’s best interest should always come first and others the club, the rules or the committee. For me if we do what’s right by the players, everything else falls into place. I imagine we’ll just have to agree to disagree on that. 

Hope you have a good weekend too.

Totally get and respect your angle - hope you can see mine too, even if you don’t agree. I think it’s a combination of things and that’s a small factor that contributes to some people’s views on the matter and I understand it’s a difficult one. 
Love your work - see you soon. 
Josh

3 hours ago, CRD said:

I'm all for promoting youth football and them "finding their level" but surely finding their level is all about earning it rather than it all being dropped in their laps. For many years  now, clubs just give give give and the youth don't have to earn anything - that is a generalisation, but believe me it does happen constanly, and then when these youth players move to adult football and ARE asked to earn something, many, not all, don't want to and just walk away with daddy "we'll find you another club who doesn't make you work for it"

Be also interesting if this new Truro side becomes the next Cornwall side en mass - wouldn't surprise many.

7 minutes ago, le boss said:

I'm all for promoting youth football and them "finding their level" but surely finding their level is all about earning it rather than it all being dropped in their laps. For many years  now, clubs just give give give and the youth don't have to earn anything - that is a generalisation, but believe me it does happen constanly, and then when these youth players move to adult football and ARE asked to earn something, many, not all, don't want to and just walk away with daddy "we'll find you another club who doesn't make you work for it"

Be also interesting if this new Truro side becomes the next Cornwall side en mass - wouldn't surprise many.

Correct le boss, everything given to them, they do nothing these days and it carry's on straight into mens football. 

Lack of volunteers is the clue.

Just reading the responses on here, there is a real 50-50 split of positivity/ negativity. I know a lot of the ‘boys’ who are potentially going to be playing for this team. Many of whom have represented the county, East and West Cornwall at schoolboy level. They’ve certainly done ‘their bit’ for Cornish football. They are going to surprise a few. And, contrary to some of the comments on here, none have had this dropped into their laps. They are a group of lads with genuine talent, ambition and an exceptional work ethic. They are already at a football level far higher than 75% of the football played within this county. It may not seem fair that they can go into this level before doing the perceived ‘hard work’ but it is a reality that they are already good enough to at least get a few good results at the St Pirans (step 7) level. Some have been playing 90 mins for SW Peninsula teams, already. There is NO money involved, but there is a real attempt to try to create a genuine pathway into the higher levels of the football pyramid and bring the young and talented footballers within this county to people’s attention. This is something, I believe, the new owners want to make a priority and not just pay lip service to. I’ll probably get slated by the ‘naysayers’ but for far too long, talented players are forced to go further afield to progress their football ambitions. 

2 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Correct le boss, everything given to them, they do nothing these days and it carry's on straight into mens football. 

Lack of volunteers is the clue.

Same old broken record, you just aren’t a fan of young people. We’ve been over this before 🙄

3 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Read it again and understand it.

Nothing against kids whatsoever, but let's teach them that everything is not without cost in money and helping out.

Do you know the 16, 17 & 18 yo’s at Truro City? Or are you just generalising about young players as per usual? Would they have earned it more if they all went to SWPL or St P’s clubs and sat on benches for seasons, like it used to be? From what I know the players in question are hard-working, dedicated and ambitious, as they should be. IMO young people should be encouraged to maximise their potential and certainly not be held back or disparaged, as seems to be the want in Cornish football and perpetually by some old giffers on this forum!  

2 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Same again... read my last post again and understand it.

How do you know none of the boys in question help out now or at their previous clubs? Perhaps some have coached younger players, marked club pitches or refereed youth games? 

As I said at the outset, we’ve discussed our differing opinions regarding young players/people before,  so no point going over old ground. You’ve obviously had a bad time with the young people you’ve met at your club. 

1 hour ago, CRD said:

How do you know none of the boys in question help out now or at their previous clubs? Perhaps some have coached younger players, marked club pitches or refereed youth games? 

As I said at the outset, we’ve discussed our differing opinions regarding young players/people before,  so no point going over old ground. You’ve obviously had a bad time with the young people you’ve met at your club. 

Not at all, just a general observation on most youth of today, it has been made too easy.

I see it with my 9 grandchildren and 6 great grandchildren, want to go for a walk with your paps...horror of horrors, walking...that's hard work isn't it...lol.

On 12/06/2021 at 11:12, Golden Balls said:

Just reading the responses on here, there is a real 50-50 split of positivity/ negativity. I know a lot of the ‘boys’ who are potentially going to be playing for this team. Many of whom have represented the county, East and West Cornwall at schoolboy level. They’ve certainly done ‘their bit’ for Cornish football. They are going to surprise a few. And, contrary to some of the comments on here, none have had this dropped into their laps. They are a group of lads with genuine talent, ambition and an exceptional work ethic. They are already at a football level far higher than 75% of the football played within this county. It may not seem fair that they can go into this level before doing the perceived ‘hard work’ but it is a reality that they are already good enough to at least get a few good results at the St Pirans (step 7) level. Some have been playing 90 mins for SW Peninsula teams, already. There is NO money involved, but there is a real attempt to try to create a genuine pathway into the higher levels of the football pyramid and bring the young and talented footballers within this county to people’s attention. This is something, I believe, the new owners want to make a priority and not just pay lip service to. I’ll probably get slated by the ‘naysayers’ but for far too long, talented players are forced to go further afield to progress their football ambitions. 

Interesting insight into the players involved. "football level far higher than 75% of the football played within this county" and interesting statement to make. Why would these lads then want to play in the St Pirans League? Would they not be better suited to staying at their current clubs (SWPL sides as mentioned) and dual registering with Truro? Maybe Truro should look to apply a league or two above the St Pirans?

17 minutes ago, SCFC said:

Interesting insight into the players involved. "football level far higher than 75% of the football played within this county" and interesting statement to make. Why would these lads then want to play in the St Pirans League? Would they not be better suited to staying at their current clubs (SWPL sides as mentioned) and dual registering with Truro? Maybe Truro should look to apply a league or two above the St Pirans?

Probably part of the business plan to push the S4C through.

On 12/06/2021 at 11:12, Golden Balls said:

I don’t think anyone is doubting the ability or quality of the players, and none of this as far as I can see is a reflection on them as footballers or people - if anything they have been put in a difficult position here by Truro’s decision to enter the league as they’ll have loyalties at other clubs but will now have some decisions that they will have to make. 
There will be money involved at some point (I don’t know who brought this up so why it has been mentioned I don’t know) - as the side will now be a men’s/reserve side - not an u18 side. This means that ‘first team’ players lacking game time or coming back from injury will be getting minutes here - which is perfectly acceptable. 

By creating pathways - which I think near enough everyone thinks Truro should have been doing for quite some time now anyway - is this the answer at the right time? Would entry into a development league not be the first step - not into men’s football. 
A few have mentioned the player’s development - I think everyone wants to see new, young players taking on the mantle - especially after the last 18 months where people of all ages have lost interest in the local game. However, entering a squad of 16-18 year olds directly into a men’s league is a risk to development? The best young players I have seen come through locally have been aided by having a veteran centre back or midfielder along side them, or a strike partner who has been there and done that. I think those roles are vital in a player’s development myself. I don’t know what the answer is to those - there are probably different view on it. 

It’ll be interesting to see how the next 18months - 2 years pans out for the project. Both in terms of the new facilities and what happens with those once S4C is complete (if ever), and of course the side itself: will it aim to continue as a development/reserve side once this crop of players develop - maybe one or two will break through to the first team hopefully. 

I think the biggest problem is the fact that the club has been allowed to just jump into St. Pirans league. Our reserves are in Trelawney 2 can they just not go straight into the combo to be closer to the St. Pirans side ?.

I know it’s a through away comment but our club has worked hard over nearly 30 seasons to get where we are?

Sorry throw

47 minutes ago, Postman Pat said:

I think the biggest problem is the fact that the club has been allowed to just jump into St. Pirans league. Our reserves are in Trelawney 2 can they just not go straight into the combo to be closer to the St. Pirans side ?.

I know it’s a through away comment but our club has worked hard over nearly 30 seasons to get where we are?

Sorry throw

If there is a vacancy then yes they can.

2 hours ago, Postman Pat said:

Sorry throw

I think this is the point people are forgetting. Lots of discussion about the players etc, but it's not who plays for this Truro side that is the issue in my opinion. The issue is that a side can just start up and jump straight in to the St Pirans League. It makes a mockery of every single league below it.

27 minutes ago, 1ofthekids said:

I think this is the point people are forgetting. Lots of discussion about the players etc, but it's not who plays for this Truro side that is the issue in my opinion. The issue is that a side can just start up and jump straight in to the St Pirans League. It makes a mockery of every single league below it.

But as bighairydave has already said - there would appear to be nothing stopping anyone else doing the same. So if there is a vacancy and the ground grading etc is ok, it seems the League is obliged to take the club because that's what the FA says!

4 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

But as bighairydave has already said - there would appear to be nothing stopping anyone else doing the same. So if there is a vacancy and the ground grading etc is ok, it seems the League is obliged to take the club because that's what the FA says!

That is correct, anyone could apply. What the FA says seems to be in an document that has not been proof read and possibly not distributed? But still they claim ownership of the decision. Totally disillusioned! 

I know the precedent was set when the St. Pirans league was formed, and because of the vacancies left teams jumped leagues into the combo in the west. Was only playing devils advocate because I know how it is. also it is out of the hands of the administrators of our local leagues who do a thankless job and in my opinion do it very well.

People like John mead and Steve carpenter

22 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

But don't you think there should be? Is the reason there is a vacancy in the first place because we are just letting any team join, for them to inevitably fold and drop out?

Just because you can, it still doesn't make it right in my eyes. The purpose of league system is to work your way up. I understand that due to the pandemic the leagues have been unable to finish and this has caused a certain amount of problems regarding relegations and promotions.

However like a few years ago when the Combination League accepted every team and their under 12's along with them, it makes the league lose its integrity. I'm not saying the St Pirans League is a bad league, far from it, but it does make you laugh when Perranporth (who folded the previous year and finished bottom of combo last year with a -71 goal difference) and Truro Res (who aren't even an affiliated team yet) get accepted in.

If they needed another team, then the rest of the Combination/Trelawny Leagues (St Piran feeder leagues) should've been asked, with the highest ranked team who fancied it gone up. Not every team just applies to go up in the hope there isn't enough spaces. 

If Truro are not affiliated, does this set a precedent that any team could apply even if they are not in the region or even a veterans team? Surely there must be some criteria other than a ground and changing rooms etc to prevent a team from Dorset et al. 

2 hours ago, le boss said:

Surely there must be some criteria other than a ground and changing rooms etc to prevent a team from Dorset et al.

You've got to bear in mind that the St Piran League has to be all Cornish based. A Dorset team would have to apply to their own Step 7/feeder league equivalent.

On 14/06/2021 at 10:17, WendronOfficial said:

I don’t think anyone is doubting the ability or quality of the players, and none of this as far as I can see is a reflection on them as footballers or people - if anything they have been put in a difficult position here by Truro’s decision to enter the league as they’ll have loyalties at other clubs but will now have some decisions that they will have to make. 
There will be money involved at some point (I don’t know who brought this up so why it has been mentioned I don’t know) - as the side will now be a men’s/reserve side - not an u18 side. This means that ‘first team’ players lacking game time or coming back from injury will be getting minutes here - which is perfectly acceptable. 

By creating pathways - which I think near enough everyone thinks Truro should have been doing for quite some time now anyway - is this the answer at the right time? Would entry into a development league not be the first step - not into men’s football. 
A few have mentioned the player’s development - I think everyone wants to see new, young players taking on the mantle - especially after the last 18 months where people of all ages have lost interest in the local game. However, entering a squad of 16-18 year olds directly into a men’s league is a risk to development? The best young players I have seen come through locally have been aided by having a veteran centre back or midfielder along side them, or a strike partner who has been there and done that. I think those roles are vital in a player’s development myself. I don’t know what the answer is to those - there are probably different view on it. 

It’ll be interesting to see how the next 18months - 2 years pans out for the project. Both in terms of the new facilities and what happens with those once S4C is complete (if ever), and of course the side itself: will it aim to continue as a development/reserve side once this crop of players develop - maybe one or two will break through to the first team hopefully. 

Agree with the points here. There has been criticism directed at Truro Cityin the past about a lack of grounding and connections to the Cornish game. Specifically no youth and reserves sides offering a development pathway for local talent. The success of the youth team over the last couple of seasons, and now a reserve side, is addressing this. This, to me, is just as important to the long term stabilty and success of the football club as buliding the new ground. I look at Helston and Mousehole in particular, and see that they have been able to push on to step 5 from a solid base of becoming community clubs through their established numerous youth, women and adult sides. Truro City, because of there being nothing beyond a Devon based group of players and management, felt a bit like it was all bit on sand.

From what I have read, the issue that people have is them being parachuted into the St Piran and not having to start off at the bottom of the Trelawney. I see this, and understand it, but cannot see how this route would be of any benefit or interest to Truro City.

4 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Agree with the points here. There has been criticism directed at Truro Cityin the past about a lack of grounding and connections to the Cornish game. Specifically no youth and reserves sides offering a development pathway for local talent. The success of the youth team over the last couple of seasons, and now a reserve side, is addressing this. This, to me, is just as important to the long term stabilty and success of the football club as buliding the new ground. I look at Helston and Mousehole in particular, and see that they have been able to push on to step 5 from a solid base of becoming community clubs through their established numerous youth, women and adult sides. Truro City, because of there being nothing beyond a Devon based group of players and management, felt a bit like it was all bit on sand.

From what I have read, the issue that people have is them being parachuted into the St Piran and not having to start off at the bottom of the Trelawney. I see this, and understand it, but cannot see how this route would be of any benefit or interest to Truro City.

I have no problem with what Truro are trying to do but clubs like Helston and Mousehole have built their clubs over a number of years, not just been parachuted in when the first team has done well. That is my only reason for not liking this process. Clubs spend many years trying to improve their positions in the community and have many disappointments along the way. Where did this U18s side magically appear from because the youth set up along with the reserves were discarded a few years ago.I know there is nothing that can be done but it does not mean that we have to like it

7 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Any team applying could state that it is of no interest or benefit to them. There have been many teams who were obviously too good for the lower divisions of  leagues but still did it and opponents saw it as added incentive to beat them. 

• 2 weeks later...