Cornwall Football Forum

Perranwell AFC - Club Statement

Perranwell AFC are delighted to announce that they have today agreed terms with Truro College for the use of the Tregye pitch and facilities at Carnon Downs for their 1st team home matches for the 2021/22 season. This move enables the 1st team to meet FA pitch grading requirements which were proving difficult at the KGV Playing Field in the village. The Reserves team will continue to play their home Trelawny League games at the KGV Playing Field in Perranwell. The new arrangement will include training facilities and pre-season home games being played at Tregye. It has been a difficult decision for the club’s 1st team to leave its village home of nearly 100 years, but the committee believes that this is a positive move for the future of the club and it’s ambitions to continue playing football at the highest possible level. The club is actively seeking new players for the 2021/22 season, please contact Phil Rees on 07803 002927, or Simon Fisher on 07712 435081 for details.

14 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Isn’t this where Truro City Reserves also hoping to play if successful in getting into the St Piran tomorrow night?

Yes it is Dave.  The two clubs have a ground share agreement in place with the College which the FA have confirmed is not an issue at NLS Feeder League level. 

1 hour ago, FutureGK said:

Can TCFC reserves appeal or is it a done deal ?

I hope they appeal. In my opinion it’s a positive for local football to have a Truro City side back playing in the area. They have put forward a viable proposal and aren’t relying on the same players who jump from team to team leaving clubs in strife. It would also be better for the league to have its full compliment of 16. I can’t understand why anyone would be against them on that basis. The Kevin Heaney days have long gone! 

1 hour ago, Reesy said:

I hope they appeal. In my opinion it’s a positive for local football to have a Truro City side back playing in the area. They have put forward a viable proposal and aren’t relying on the same players who jump from team to team leaving clubs in strife. It would also be better for the league to have its full compliment of 16. I can’t understand why anyone would be against them on that basis. The Kevin Heaney days have long gone! 

Agree with this 100%, not sure that TCFC’s application was considered solely on its merits, from a footballing perspective they should be in the league, it’s wrong that they appear to have been judged on the past. Also not sure why eastern div clubs get to vote on west div and vice versa. I hope Truro appeal and they’re successful, and before anyone says any different, it’s got nothing to do with our ground share arrangement, the more clubs, the more football for everyone, and that can only be a good thing for the health of the league.

Personally, I disagree that they should be able to jump the divisions however, they are the County's most successful Club. I've been saying for a while that they might be the best in the County but they are far from the biggest club. I think a reserve side is needed. Personally, I'd much rather not face them in the Trelawny League, nor Combo where the standard is pretty much the same. St Piran would be a good stepping stone for them. 

An absolute joke not allowing them into the league. A judgement of events from the past by  clubs/chairpersons that holds no basis on the present club set up, aspirations or players. The reserve side would be made up of mainly last years U18, who can actually play another season at U18, however the club want to challenge them by playing mens football. They challenged the Devon u18 league in first season and won the league, is there any point doing that again? No? So they turn to a challenge within their own county and are berated and penalised for events that went on when the players were at primary school!!! This team is likely to make up the majority of the County U18 team, so would have benefitted from playing together and taking cornish football out of county to challenge others? But no its easier to be narrow minded, isolationist and live in the past. If this team started in the lower leagues they would have lumps kicked out of them because they are bloody talented footballers that truro want to progress and eventually start feeding youngster from the county into there 1st team. When argyle had a team go straight into peninsula I wonder if there were such objections? Or just happy to hang off their coat tails? Both truro and Plymouth want it for the same reasons...... progress youngsters!!!! 

4 hours ago, St George said:

How can they appeal when they aren’t even an affiliated team atm? Start in Trelawney and follow the rules regarding promotion & relegation like every other grassroots club. 

I agree. The whole jumping leagues and not get promoted on Merit is making an absolute mockery of Cornish football. 

6 hours ago, EddieD said:

An absolute joke not allowing them into the league. A judgement of events from the past by  clubs/chairpersons that holds no basis on the present club set up, aspirations or players. The reserve side would be made up of mainly last years U18, who can actually play another season at U18, however the club want to challenge them by playing mens football. They challenged the Devon u18 league in first season and won the league, is there any point doing that again? No? So they turn to a challenge within their own county and are berated and penalised for events that went on when the players were at primary school!!! This team is likely to make up the majority of the County U18 team, so would have benefitted from playing together and taking cornish football out of county to challenge others? But no its easier to be narrow minded, isolationist and live in the past. If this team started in the lower leagues they would have lumps kicked out of them because they are bloody talented footballers that truro want to progress and eventually start feeding youngster from the county into there 1st team. When argyle had a team go straight into peninsula I wonder if there were such objections? Or just happy to hang off their coat tails? Both truro and Plymouth want it for the same reasons...... progress youngsters!!!! 

I don't think anyone is disputing the ability of the players. It's more likely those voting didn't like the idea of a new side that's not even affiliated yet jumping 5 leagues.

It's bad enough that Perranporth got accepted after finishing bottom of Combo last year!

I find it unbelievable that club members cited the past and the likes of the Kevin Heaney experience to suggest that Truro City shouldn’t get a place in next season’s St Piran League.

Let’s hope the club is allowed to appeal, which cannot be heard by the Cornwall FA, and sense prevails.

Not sure why the clubs don’t want TCFC in when they have young players who just want to play football, some clubs can yo-yo in and out of the league’s. 
I loved playing vs Truro and Falmouth etc it’s a shame they lost there local identity when they were under the old regime but having the backing of the Pirates I’m sure they will have everything in place to compete at St Piran level.

I’m sure many old Truronians would like to see a local team again. 

Not sure why clubs are voting based on past events, even mentioning Kevin Heaney is a bit embarrassing. I personally dont feel they should be allowed to slide straight in at the St Pirans League, especially as they aren't even set up yet! I dont think Bodmin Reserves would be given a free pass at the St Pirans league, and would be made to start at the bottom like every side has. Plymouth Argyle reserves were in the SWPL for a couple of seasons, played some full time pro's on some occasions and a bunch of kids on others. Made a bit of a mockery of the league and then pulled out so I can see why people are sceptical

5 hours ago, 1ofthekids said:

I don't think anyone is disputing the ability of the players. It's more likely those voting didn't like the idea of a new side that's not even affiliated yet jumping 5 leagues.

It's bad enough that Perranporth got accepted after finishing bottom of Combo last year!

I am not saying people are disputing the players are not talented, for those that see them they will see. I don't believe clubs voted in such a way due to not liking a team coming in at a certain league and missing out steps, if there is space and no one else to fill why not? Teams jump all over place where there is a space and a willingness to fill without other candidates and it happens........ just not on this occasion! So my initial assessment remains valid. 

So are we citing that because Truro are in such a high league, that they are above rules and/or due process? It was them who chose to detach themselves from all things CCFA related during their meteoric rise not looking back once and now that it suits them, they are looking for special dispensation? Why? Because of their previous history? The same history that we are now asked to forget? I wonder if other now-defunct clubs who have had a long history within local football asked to rejoin, would be put in a higher league instead of starting at the bottom. Smacks of double standards. Truro do very little for local football. Trelawney bottom league if they are really serious about patronising the CCFA again and let them work their way up. 

38 minutes ago, le boss said:

So are we citing that because Truro are in such a high league, that they are above rules and/or due process? It was them who chose to detach themselves from all things CCFA related during their meteoric rise not looking back once and now that it suits them, they are looking for special dispensation? Why? Because of their previous history? The same history that we are now asked to forget? I wonder if other now-defunct clubs who have had a long history within local football asked to rejoin, would be put in a higher league instead of starting at the bottom. Smacks of double standards. Truro do very little for local football. Trelawney bottom league if they are really serious about patronising the CCFA again and let them work their way up. 

So Plymouth argyle did it? Ruan Minor jumped leagues and look likely to fold. Marazion or Ludgvan jump in and out of leagues all over the place.  You will find no one more aware that Truro had previously not done anything for youth football than those currently trying to rectify the choices made by others a long time ago. I thought the FA sited "history" as a criteria for selection into peninsula recently, why can't the league officials? Why do people detest progress or the attempt to progress and improve? Helston are hounded for having a vision, Mousehole slagged of for doing something different. Why not embrace it? Engage with it? Ok it might not work or improve anything for you or your club but what if all those young talented boys and girls currently travelling to Plymouth or Exeter academies only had to travel to Truro? They go on to field a team of Cornish born players in a professional league. Or is that to much change to handle for now? Best wait for another generation to change it knowing you've tainted the next generation by virtue that yours wouldn't do it. Maybe no one should play Germany in a friendly because they have a chequered past!!!!! 

If Truro keep that squad of players and enter the lowest Trelawney Division they'll probably win every game by a large margin. That's dis spiriting for their opponents and makes a mockery of the division.

Doesn't really do much for the development of their players either does it 

It may stick in the throat a bit to some clubs and individuals but it makes sense to enter the team at a league and a level that's appropriate

It was open to any club to apply this season, subject to the applicant having facilities to meet the criteria of Step 7 football. Truro City have a new owner who has done plenty to promote and support Cornish sport. I see no reason why he would suddenly change direction now.