Cornwall Football Forum

FA County Youth Cup.

David Bray

David - if for one year as a ‘post’ Covid measure it may be acceptable - if knocked on the head completely it would be a travesty. I know the FA has many areas to promote to raise equality, such as women’s / disabled and walking games but surely Youth Development must sit there as well - after the years you have put in to this area to see it all fold must be gut wrenching. 

Suppose Kernow FA could always start something up lol

Wonder how valued the County Youth Cup is at FA level. For the big cities and counties with professional clubs within them, it was downgraded as the pick of of the players from within their areas were attached to academies and (presumably) unavailable. For smaller counties like Cornwall, it was valuable in terms of getting younger players valuable playing experience and exposure beyond the county borders. Developed the lads off the pitch as well, have heard and read many stories from former players about how much they enjoyed the trips away and overnight stays.

This news broke earlier today.  In short, two thirds of the Counties confirmed to the FA that it would not be viable for them to compete in 2021-22.  As a result of that and ongoing COVID uncertainties the FA regretfully decided that the FA County Youth Cup wouldn't be staged for 2021-22.  A review will be carried out regarding the long term future of the competition.  Updates on this review will be provided during the coming season. 

3 hours ago, Steve Carpenter said:

This news broke earlier today.  In short, two thirds of the Counties confirmed to the FA that it would not be viable for them to compete in 2021-22.  As a result of that and ongoing COVID uncertainties the FA regretfully decided that the FA County Youth Cup wouldn't be staged for 2021-22.  A review will be carried out regarding the long term future of the competition.  Updates on this review will be provided during the coming season. 

Steve is quite correct,  I believe only a dozen or so Counties showed any interest in completing in these Covid times we are all living in, the Competition was never that popular with the FA hierarchy as it invariably ran at a financial loss, yes I am very sad if this competition has had its day, worked with great football people over the years and have made lifelong friends in both County Manager's, Club Secretaries and of course players.

This is an excellent competition to play in. It’s great playing against those counties in your SW group, but in the same way the FA Vase gives teams the chance to travel and play against sides from other areas, this cup does the same. 
David’s right, the FA weren’t keen as they had to help out with the travelling expenses, but that cost versus the greater good was negligible. Yes Covid is an issue but you can’t help feeling that that’s also a convenient excuse. I hope I’m wrong and it’s up and running again next season. 
Great times. 

3 hours ago, Tommy Matthews said:

This is an excellent competition to play in. It’s great playing against those counties in your SW group, but in the same way the FA Vase gives teams the chance to travel and play against sides from other areas, this cup does the same. 
David’s right, the FA weren’t keen as they had to help out with the travelling expenses, but that cost versus the greater good was negligible. Yes Covid is an issue but you can’t help feeling that that’s also a convenient excuse. I hope I’m wrong and it’s up and running again next season. 
Great times. 

Hi Tommy, thanks for your honest comments,  it's all now down to the SWC's Management Committee as to whether we have competitive County Representative football this coming season, no news as yet but I'm no longer in the loop to know what's happening on that particular front.

12 hours ago, David Bray said:

Hi Tommy, thanks for your honest comments,  it's all now down to the SWC's Management Committee as to whether we have competitive County Representative football this coming season, no news as yet but I'm no longer in the loop to know what's happening on that particular front.

Again as with the F.A County Youth Cup, the Counties involved are reluctant to commit themselves in these uncertain times,according to a very reliable source via a mid evening phone call received. 

Going to be interesting to read what the immediate future holds for the FA Youth Cup which Helston & Truro City U18's completed in recent seasons, although the Youth teams attached to Professional Clubs have a greater say and maybe less effected by expensive Covid testing procedures, we shall see.

Have to agree with Tommy’s thoughts 100%.

It’s a great competition giving lads the chance to play different counties and places around the country to the usual SWCC ones.

I was so proud and excited to be part of the squad (albeit on the media side of things) that made it to the final of the 2016-17. That was some achievement by the players which it would seem is never to be repeated if the FA get their way.

Covid is a convenient excuse to close the competition down, something the FA have probably been keen to do in recent seasons anyway!

Poor old County FAs who have to toe the line! 

5 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Have to agree with Tommy’s thoughts 100%.

It’s a great competition giving lads the chance to play different counties and places around the country to the usual SWCC ones.

I was so proud and excited to be part of the squad (albeit on the media side of things) that made it to the final of the 2016-17. That was some achievement by the players which it would seem is never to be repeated if the FA get their way.

Covid is a convenient excuse to close the competition down, something the FA have probably been keen to do in recent seasons anyway!

Poor old County FAs who have to toe the line! 

Something has been lost, and not just on the field. Taken together with the downgrading of the Senior Cup, feels like the people who make these decisions understand and follow the finances, but not the tradition and history.