Cornwall Football Forum

Ex Argyle goalie dies aged 51

Just seen on the news that Alan Miller the goalie Plymouth Argyle had on loan in 1988 from Arsenal  had died aged 51 ,i saw him play all his games when at Home park and away games and he was mom in most of those games ,ones i remember where vs Man City ,Chelsea and Watford he was 1 of the best goalies i ever saw play at Home park another 1 was Alan Nicholls who died in a Motorbike crash RIP Alan Miller 

Shocked to hear this news yesterday. Remember Alan Miller's time at Argyle, people knew that he wouldn't be at Home Park permanently. We thought it was only a stopping off point on a brilliant career at the highest level.

Recently finished reading a book on Peter Shilton's managerial spell at Argyle, Alan Nicholl's ultimately tragic tale is featured quite prominently. Another amazing keeper who should have played at the highest levels, but was a complicated character with many personal demons.

These players where so good that you wanted to see the opposing team's attackers get on top of the game so that you could enjoy their brilliance in goal.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the Peter Shilton Book Nearly  Men off Amazon this week and its a great read but what makes it good for me it brings back so many memories and i can remember all the matches mentioned in the book i was at the Hawthorns West Brom when Plymouth won 5-1 up there ,i use to go every match with the ex Mrs we had seasoned tickets and she could drive and i couldnt at the time so that was handy but she loved the football as well some great times . I was reading about John Hodge who played for Newquay scoring 2 goals for Exeter in a 3-0 win vs Plymouth . I was 1 of the people at the  Hull City match calling for Dave Kemp to be sacked he was a good player but crap manager .Peter Shilton sounds like he was a nasty piece of work the way he treated his players ,my favourite manager was Dave Smith a real nice man but the man who really got Argyle playing was Neil Warnock ,I dont go much on this Ryan Lowe he seems a nice enough bloke but his signings have not been good 

Still reading the PETER Shilton BOOK and a chapter all about Stockports Giant striker Kevin Francis Shilton says my daughter could play better than him it also says Francis scored 9 goals vs Plymouth in 4 games i thought he was brilliant i always had my usual spot for over 40 years at Plymouth behind the away dug out where i would take my photos well on 1 match where Kevin Francis destroyed Plymouth on his own i was taking his photo when a Plymouth wont call him fan ran down behind me and spat in Kevin Francis face that was the worst racist thing i have ever seen at a football match if a opposition player has had a good game against your team i usually applaud them i still do .I  sent a letter  to Plymouth to report this and about the stewards who just ignored this ,i wrote to Kevin Francis saying all Argyle fans werent like that he sent me back a lovely letter he still continued to score against Plymouth whenever they played but i never saw him play at Plymouth again. This PETER Shilton book is really good but he treated his players like shit 

16 hours ago, 100%cornish said:

Still reading the PETER Shilton BOOK and a chapter all about Stockports Giant striker Kevin Francis Shilton says my daughter could play better than him it also says Francis scored 9 goals vs Plymouth in 4 games i thought he was brilliant i always had my usual spot for over 40 years at Plymouth behind the away dug out where i would take my photos well on 1 match where Kevin Francis destroyed Plymouth on his own i was taking his photo when a Plymouth wont call him fan ran down behind me and spat in Kevin Francis face that was the worst racist thing i have ever seen at a football match if a opposition player has had a good game against your team i usually applaud them i still do .I  sent a letter  to Plymouth to report this and about the stewards who just ignored this ,i wrote to Kevin Francis saying all Argyle fans werent like that he sent me back a lovely letter he still continued to score against Plymouth whenever they played but i never saw him play at Plymouth again. This PETER Shilton book is really good but he treated his players like shit 

Recently finished this book (won't spoil the ending), have to say that it is one of the best football books I have read.

Peter Shilton certainly does not come out of it very well. It is no accident that goalkeepers don't tend to make good managers (Tony Waiters and Dino Zoff are the only two I can think of).

6 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Recently finished this book (won't spoil the ending), have to say that it is one of the best football books I have read.

Peter Shilton certainly does not come out of it very well. It is no accident that goalkeepers don't tend to make good managers (Tony Waiters and Dino Zoff are the only two I can think of).

Shilton is an absolute tool. Played for 6 years too long for England, played in the 3rd 4th place play of match because he wanted another cap rather than letting Woods go in. 

Have absolutely zero respect for the man 

Just finished reading the Peter Shilton book and nice piece about Allan Nichols the young Plymouth Goalie who died in a motorbike accident , e was the best goalie i had seen at Plymouth but he was nuts he use to see me there every week taking photos and 1 match vs Cardiff at home Cardiff had a corner he came rushing over to me and asked me to take his photo which i did then rushed back and wated for Cardiff to take a corner it was embarassing me and the wife even got in the Evening HERALD that evening . As soon as Neil Warnock came in Alans days where numbered and he told him to go the fun went out of going there then 

13 hours ago, 100%cornish said:

Just finished reading the Peter Shilton book and nice piece about Allan Nichols the young Plymouth Goalie who died in a motorbike accident , e was the best goalie i had seen at Plymouth but he was nuts he use to see me there every week taking photos and 1 match vs Cardiff at home Cardiff had a corner he came rushing over to me and asked me to take his photo which i did then rushed back and wated for Cardiff to take a corner it was embarassing me and the wife even got in the Evening HERALD that evening . As soon as Neil Warnock came in Alans days where numbered and he told him to go the fun went out of going there then 

Alan Miller played under Ken Brown, Warnock was years later. Our did Miller have 2 spells on loan at Argyle

2 hours ago, 100%cornish said:

Not according to the book Warnock got rid of  Nicholls .Warnock says in print Nicholls playIng for ENGLAND U21 went to his head and i told him ts best if he found another club and i released him

Last game in February 1989 according to GOS and Wiki