Cornwall Football Forum

Question for a referee

Guest Postie Pidge

Guest Postie Pidge

Sunday morning, an ageing player nearer 40 than 30 chasing a ball that is going out for a goal kick. He reaches the ball before it crosses the line (ie still in play) in a brash and basically crap attempt at a cross the ball goes sailing out of the ground. With his team winning 2-1 the player is booked for timewasting. Is this harsh?

1. How can it be timewasting as he wasn't kicking the ball away.

2. The ball was still in play

3. Would he have been booked if he hit a 30 yard shot miles over the bar and into the field beyond?

I once heard Geoff Hurst speak about his third goal in the 1966 world cup final when he said he was hammering the ball in the general direction of the goal hoping to waste a few seconds and as luck would have it it went in!

I doubt he would have been booked for time wasting and as long as the ball is in play, surely its up to you where you kick it, then the ref can add on the requisite time.

Bit harsh I'd say.

Guest postman pat

descisions like this are not always as simple as you are making out.

the referee would have to way up the situation.

1.has he spoken to the player before about time wasteing.

2.was he genuinely trying to cross the ball.

3.did he know his team had a replacement ball,others may have been over the hedge etc.

its difficult to make a comment on a decision without having seen the incident happen :c:

Guest Postie Pidge

descisions like this are not always as simple as you are making out.

the referee would have to way up the situation.

1.has he spoken to the player before about time wasteing.

2.was he genuinely trying to cross the ball.

3.did he know his team had a replacement ball,others may have been over the hedge etc.

its difficult to make a comment on a decision without having seen the incident happen

1. No he hadn't spoke to any player about timewasting

2. Looked like it from my position but he wouldn't just whack the miles for the hell of it

3. There were other match balls on the side of the pitch

If the ball is in play and he crossed or even was clearing it, I can not see how the ref can give him a yellow card for wasting time as the ball was still in play and the game had not been stopped. As a manager you often say to players as the time ticks down put the ball into row z, so the clock can run down.

Really harsh to book a player for not being able to cross a ball, if this happened in the professional game, there would be even more yellow cards than there are now.

And from what I understand you can not appeal a yellow, however it may be worth letting the CCFA know what happened they may feel pity on the player and not fine him.

And from what I understand you can not appeal a yellow, however it may be worth letting the CCFA know what happened they may feel pity on the player and not fine him.

You aren't "fined" for a yellow card. It's an "administration Charge". If you enter into correspondence, I suppose "administration" would cost more!

You aren't going to win that one.

You aren't "fined" for a yellow card. It's an "administration Charge". If you enter into correspondence, I suppose "administration" would cost more!

You aren't going to win that one.

You are quite right, it is an admin charge and I expect the county would double it if they had to reply to a letter. What was I thinking?

seen you bang a few in over the years tom!!!! who can forget the matthews semi final at st.blazey!!!!! toms too modest but have you ever seen a centre half score with a bicycle kick to win the match!!! his second goal of the game by the way! south west league cup semi final v torpoint 1992ish???(mike or pidge will know!) :D:c::thumbsup: never forget a legend mate!!!!!