Cornwall Football Forum

The First Sponsor You Remember Seeing On Your Club's Shirt

Every team in non league from Sunday clubs upwards now has a sponsor's name on it, they are now as ubiquitous at a game as poor refereering decisions. Looking at old Facebook pictures of local teams in the sixties and seventies, the lack of them really stands out. This set me thinking about when they first appeared, and who the early sponsors were for each club. Were they usually a local business, or somebody that one of the players or manager had a connection with? The first time I remember them was when Liskeard Athletic had Kittows Estate Agents on the shirt, think it was around 1983/84. Two of my favourites were the Studs Sport logo on the Newquay shirts of the eighties, and Stralfors on the Falmouth Town kit of the late eighties/early nineties (i think).

22 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Every team in non league from Sunday clubs upwards now has a sponsor's name on it, they are now as ubiquitous at a game as poor refereering decisions. Looking at old Facebook pictures of local teams in the sixties and seventies, the lack of them really stands out. This set me thinking about when they first appeared, and who the early sponsors were for each club. Were they usually a local business, or somebody that one of the players or manager had a connection with? The first time I remember them was when Liskeard Athletic had Kittows Estate Agents on the shirt, think it was around 1983/84. Two of my favourites were the Studs Sport logo on the Newquay shirts of the eighties, and Stralfors on the Falmouth Town kit of the late eighties/early nineties (i think).

Before Stralfors on Falmouth's shirts were Choaks Pasties (JH Choaks). I believe they wore them on their FA Vase run to the quarter finals in the mid-eighties under Dave Wadd.

Whilst not the first logo on our shirts one, of the most talked about on our travels within the old South Western League was the fact that we were sponsored by Janie Bolitho, author and writer of psychological mystery novels. We used to have the names of the novels on the shirts and caused some discussion. One of the book titles was " Buried in Cornwall" and I was asked on more than one occasion, were we sponsored by undertakers. Another shirt boldly said " Ripe for Revenge". Which had to be  used infrequently or receive strong comments ! Long after we stopped wearing the shirts, the family connection continued and does so today.

40 minutes ago, Home Waters said:

Whilst not the first logo on our shirts one, of the most talked about on our travels within the old South Western League was the fact that we were sponsored by Janie Bolitho, author and writer of psychological mystery novels. We used to have the names of the novels on the shirts and caused some discussion. One of the book titles was " Buried in Cornwall" and I was asked on more than one occasion, were we sponsored by undertakers. Another shirt boldly said " Ripe for Revenge". Which had to be  used infrequently or receive strong comments ! Long after we stopped wearing the shirts, the family connection continued and does so today.

Are of any those shirts still in existence? Would love to wear one to a match.