Cornwall Football Forum

will social media cause the demise of football leagues ?

Seasons over , no football matches to discuss and it's windy , cold and wet up here so I'll throw the following question into the ring . Will social media cause the end of some local leagues ? .

My thoughts are , and these are based on  real situations , league committees  have to often make unpopular decisions in administering leagues . For instance  disqualifying teams for playing illegible players in cup competitions or deducting points for similar offence in the league . People discuss this on social media sites , more often than not , not  understanding the rules . League officials are then subject to abuse on the media  unfairly . How long before many league officers  say enough is enough and resign , leaving the league unable to find anyone daft enough to take their place ?. Most league officials are regarded as  dinasoars by the average player , which is totally unfair as the majority are idiots who have nothing better to do than give up their time  organising fixtures , referees , venues for cup finals , purchasing medals and trophies , trying to get cups returned by last years winners and engraving same , maintaining and updating the rule book , communicating with the county FA on a regular basis  , discussing and maintaining discipline  etc. etc. etc. all  voluntarily giving back something to the game they love and ensuring that people can play football . They often get things wrong ,  often for the right reasons at the time and they generally try to be fair to all clubs .

Ladbrokes are offering odds of 1000 to 1 that more than 5 people will post a response to this post .

Ps . I know i've spelt dinasoar wrong  but it's " like " the Hollywood spelling .

2 hours ago, fenman said:

Seasons over , no football matches to discuss and it's windy , cold and wet up here so I'll throw the following question into the ring . Will social media cause the end of some local leagues ? .

My thoughts are , and these are based on  real situations , league committees  have to often make unpopular decisions in administering leagues . For instance  disqualifying teams for playing illegible players in cup competitions or deducting points for similar offence in the league . People discuss this on social media sites , more often than not , not  understanding the rules . League officials are then subject to abuse on the media  unfairly . How long before many league officers  say enough is enough and resign , leaving the league unable to find anyone daft enough to take their place ?. Most league officials are regarded as  dinasoars by the average player , which is totally unfair as the majority are idiots who have nothing better to do than give up their time  organising fixtures , referees , venues for cup finals , purchasing medals and trophies , trying to get cups returned by last years winners and engraving same , maintaining and updating the rule book , communicating with the county FA on a regular basis  , discussing and maintaining discipline  etc. etc. etc. all  voluntarily giving back something to the game they love and ensuring that people can play football . They often get things wrong ,  often for the right reasons at the time and they generally try to be fair to all clubs .

Ladbrokes are offering odds of 1000 to 1 that more than 5 people will post a response to this post .

Ps . I know i've spelt dinasoar wrong  but it's " like " the Hollywood spelling .

Interesting thoughts. League officials and referees have always been held in low esteem by some, but were generally just moaned about over a post match pint. It wasn't broadcast over the internet and hold in permanent record.

The decline of local leagues is made up of many things, some of which of having been with us for many years. It's the usual stuff, poor standard of pitch facilities, different working patterns, people leaving the area for work/study and just having other things to do.  Chuck in a new one, the stop start nature of the last two COVID affected seasons. and a load more supporters, volunteers and players may just get out of the habit and not bother any more.

Fenman,, another good post ,  , many moons ago when a manager/ sec of a club I hadn't registered a player for junior cup , oversight on my behalf  we won the game , were kicked out of competition, fined , I had the joy of letting the team know of my **** up , a few moans , Michael taking for a while  after,  that was  in house , no forum,  social media back then , Football has evolved probably not in a good way for some of a certain age lol , everything was left on the pitch , a drink after the game , kicked lumps out of each other on it laughing,  comparing bruises after as well . A couple of years ago a chap came into work , asked did you use to play football for Longrock? I said yes , I did not recognise him , I said joking did I kick you , he replied yes you did lol. 

I enjoy the forum for its info , but not the attacks on those involved,  be it refs , committee members, volunteers ect , I have done lots of various roles at clubs and enjoyed it , but the people involved running clubs do it to put something back not for ego or gain . Health issues forced me to stop being a club lino , the last couple of seasons was a struggle doing it , but being called a cheat , a cnut while soaked through didn't help plus being physically threatened.  My passion for the game hasn't dimmed but changed , I have found walking football,  it's gone full circle my house has match , balls , kit , bibs , cones , pumps , paper work , I am Chair / sec of Penwith Nomads  wf,  general dogsbody ect , it's like going back in time good fun , banter , like minded people happy to help set up training ect , take kit home to wash , I dont post as much as I used to , Fybro myalgia is a bugger , you get what is called brain fog , which makes it hard to sometimes communicate or get your words out but hey ho that's the cards you get dealt . Thanks again for the post , And a big shout out to all volunteers involved in the real grassroots football. 👏👍🍻😥

4 hours ago, Keith B said:

Who will take the place of the dinosaurs ? Are there enough middle aged football fans who may be interested in taking up the reins ? We may be worrying about a problem that will resolve itself. Let's hope so and that the leagues remain in the hands of football loving people for a long time yet. 

Fingers crossed Keith B , I can remember so called older generation telling me how it was back in the day , i used to think silly old sod lol , now i am the silly old sod , be it at work or at football  😃😥 , its strange  we have 3 at work that have no intrest in men as they say kicking a bag of wind about , but rave about formula one and , pit stops , tyre change ect ect , moan about football wages , but dont think of the riches in formula one  , strange but true .

1 minute ago, Keith B said:

Good post Stevie.

What do you take for the myalgia - I ask because I have rheumatoid arthritis and find that at the moment co codamol (codeine and paracetamol) works. If it get much worse not sure it will still work. You don't have to answer that if you don't want to of course. Back to the football.

No problem Keith , gabapentin prescribed by the Doctor,  9 tablets a day lol rattle now I do , sorry about the rheumatoid arthritis Keith , the wet ,cold dont help with this or fybro , . Football Keith the mistress you can never forget  , it loves you , you love it back , gives you joy , happiness,  lows , tears , tantrums  , heartache  , but its always there . Stay safe Keith 🍻👍

4 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Easy solution to me,  do what I do. 

No face ache.

No snap crap.

No twatter, none of it, load of old tripe that does nothing but cause grief.

Older I am afraid,  I have joined the darkness of FB , but sometimes its nuts ....... especially the post tag your mate if they are a cnut ....... bloody hell a few years back you called someone that It was fisticuffs no messing now it's an every day phrase .  I have occasionally fell into the odd political debate  lol  .😃👍

2 minutes ago, Keith B said:

Thanks Stevie - I'll ask the Doc if I find I need to. It might interfere with my heart tablets so - we will see. Thanks again Stevie, you take care too.

Good luck Keith 👍

15 minutes ago, Keith B said:

Good post Stevie.

What do you take for the myalgia - I ask because I have rheumatoid arthritis and find that at the moment co codamol (codeine and paracetamol) works. If it gets much worse not sure it will still work. You don't have to answer that if you don't want to of course. Back to the football.

I guess the only thing different with F1 Stevie, is that F1 drivers run the risk of death if it all goes wrong. Not a sport that I follow I have to say. Used to watch live speedway years ago at Poole and Southampton further years back. Enjoyed that very much - still watch it on TV at times.

Footballers look like they are dying after a tackle today 😃............ I miss players only staying down if they were really hurt , if back in the day showing you were hurt was a sign of weakness,  if a player stayed down the ball was immediately kicked out of play because you know they were hurt ........there I go again being the old codger again 😃😃😃

Lovely to see you posting again Stevie .

Digressing from the discussion , footballers and F1 drivers  are a world apart in terms of income . Unfortunately  both sports along with golf dominate in the sporting media . I was stunned on Sunday when the BBC had a 15 minute report on Jonathan Rea  the 6 time world superbike champion  as he began the new season  .Incredible achievment  considering all the bikes are roughly similar . Nobody , or very few have heard of him in this country  because the press won't cover the sport .It's a similar situation in many sports  because they are deemed a minority sport . What is a minority sport ?  are woman's rugby , football or cricket  a minority sport ? Speedway  , again we have a multi times world champion , a lovely old fashioned family sport , big in Sweden , Denmark and other  European countries but rarely covered by the media here .