Cornwall Football Forum

Today’s the day! Confirmation below of the upward movements etc...

From the SWPL website :-

The Football Association has today announced the constitutions of leagues at Step 3 to 6 of the National League System which form the previously postponed re-structure.

The new national pyramid now has 8 Divisions at Step 4 (up from 7), 16 Divisions at Step 5 (up from 14) and 16 leagues (but 17 divisions) at Step 6 (down from 20). This has meant around 110 clubs nationally have been shuffled upwards.

Leaving the SWP League are five clubs, one higher than previously expected with the FA requesting an extra side on PPG to help fill the new structure, the SWP never stands in the way of ambitious clubs so it was never an issue to release a 5th club.

The 5 leaving for Step 5 are, in alphabetical order, Helston Athletic, Ilfracombe Town, Millbrook, Mousehole and Saltash United. Three coming from the West Division and Two from the East Division.

Ilfracombe Town and Saltash United have both played Western League football before but return after many years away, whilst Helston, Millbrook and Mousehole will be playing at that level for the first time in their history.

It is a source of pride to the league, and should be to the FA as well, that in the new SWP Era more Cornish clubs will play at Step 5 next season than ever before, and four of those clubs were playing in recreational football since the SWP started. In 2007 Mousehole joined SWP Step 7 from the Cornwall Combination League, four years later Helston joined from the very same route, in 2014 Millbrook joined from the East Cornwall League and in 2017 Ilfracombe Town joined from the North Devon League. With former clubs like Plymouth Parkway now plying their trade in the Southern League, this shows the success of the new set-up and why it was so important.

The league does not feel “down-graded” by losing clubs upwards, it feels it is succeeding in its duty by providing the step up for clubs. We hope to hear in future years that some of this batch go onwards to the Southern League and maybe higher!

The opportunities provided to clubs to play in the NLS, improve their facilities and progress on and off the field means we are able to take in new clubs from below and give them those very same opportunities in future seasons.

As such we today welcome in three new clubs who join us – Okehampton Argyle, Ottery St Mary and Penryn Athletic, all three have demonstrated they are ready to play at Step 6 – for Okehampton & Penryn this will be the highest they have ever played in their clubs histories (Ottery in the late 80’s played at Step 5).

Ottery St Mary and Okehampton Argyle join the East Division which will again have 20 clubs whilst Penryn Athletic join the West Division and that will now have 18 clubs. (The 20/18 split was decided as Torpoint wish to remain in the East, and 2 x 19 means two clubs not having a game each week).

Sadly 7 other applicants were unable to join us, three withdrew their applications (Braunton, Hayle and the University of Exeter), two did not have planning permission in place for lights (Bude Town & Teignmouth), Newtown proposed ground-sharing but that was not “in situ” in the 20/21 season and Truro City Reserves were not members of a feeder league in 20/21.

• Dave Deacon changed the title to Today’s the day! Confirmation below of the upward movements etc...

Still plenty of good clubs in SWPL. Falmouth, Blazey, Newquay, St Austell, Bodmin, Torpoint plus others and a few from Devon too. What is needed now is ambitious clubs, with a readiness to improve facilities, to step up to the SWPL. A warm welcome to Penryn in SWPL West and Okey and Ottery in the East.

In a lot of ways I think it’ll make the league a bit more exciting and competitive. Instead of probably only 3 or 4 teams realistically in with a chance of winning it I think you’ve now got maybe 7 or 8? Shame to lose those big 3 but it’ll also be nice to support those Cornish clubs at the higher level and who knows, one might even win it!! Looking forward to next season to see how it all unfolds 👍

On 22/05/2021 at 05:30, RAPPO said:

In a lot of ways I think it’ll make the league a bit more exciting and competitive. Instead of probably only 3 or 4 teams realistically in with a chance of winning it I think you’ve now got maybe 7 or 8? Shame to lose those big 3 but it’ll also be nice to support those Cornish clubs at the higher level and who knows, one might even win it!! Looking forward to next season to see how it all unfolds 👍

Standard will be lower, but the title ace is wide open for next season now. Fair point Rappo. Blazey favourites? Torpoint in with a good chance in East.

On 22/05/2021 at 18:05, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Suit bodmin then...they can win it again...lol.

But next time they have to take the next step...lol to that as well. 

Bet your looking forward to f troop arriving at kernick Rd dave .you'll need extra bar and canteen staff that day ,hopefully boxing day or good Friday. 

11 hours ago, mattelot said:

Bet your looking forward to f troop arriving at kernick Rd dave .you'll need extra bar and canteen staff that day ,hopefully boxing day or good Friday. 

Haha, half of them played for us or watched us for years.

Be like a home coming, for the team as well...lol.

On 22/05/2021 at 11:26, 100%cornish said:

Going to be a very weak league now 3 top teams, Helston Mousehole and Saltash  have gone St Blazey to walk away with the league followed by Bodmin and Newquay 

Weren't Helston and Mousehole considered to be "weaker" teams 4-5 years ago? There is the opportunity for other clubs to challenge, it was great to see the likes of Camelford and Dobwalls taking on the more established clubs last season. Others could follow this lead. 

I suspect as well that a few players from the promoted clubs will decide (for their own reasons) not to make the step up, they could well appear in the SWPL next season.

Its is not just about weaker *sides*. It is not hard to imagine the remaining big clubs,  Newquay, Bodmin, Falmouth, Blazey and St Austell not moving up to the WL in due course. The other loss will be revenue, as the gates and income generated by the remaining SWPL clubs will be hit accordingly and the prestige of the league could be reduced. 

OTOH, clubs moving up, will in the short term have higher costs and fewer visiting fans. How nany travelling fans will say Odd Down bring? A lot less than every club west of the Tamar for sure!

I have asked before, but got no reply, who are the new ambitious clubs to come into the SWPL fold? It would be good to think there are some.

I used to watch Buckland home and most aways. The travel to Greater Bristol every two weeks was tedious, wading through traffic for a 3pm KO. So, as Devon clubs joined and became successful I was hoping to see Cornish clubs follow suit. 4 joining at once, plus Ilfracombe joining the party, has changed the face of the WL. No Greater Bristol League anymore! Yay! Surely it is way more attractive to the bigger Cornish clubs now? 

The mould has been broken, the pressure is now on others not to miss out. In my more mischievious moments I have an image of Bodmin (still) refusing promotion and winning a lesser SWPL for ten years running!! 

As I said in an earlier post, the only positive, SWPL wise,  is that clubs like Lanson will be able to compete better in a  near village league to come.. The heavy losses and expectation of struggle against bigger clubs would be much reduced. Is lower standard but a more competitive league a good trade off?

Interesting tines

13 minutes ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Its is not just about weaker *sides*. It is not hard to imagine the remaining big clubs,  Newquay, Bodmin, Falmouth, Blazey and St Austell not moving up to the WL in due course. The other loss will be revenue, as the gates and income generated by the remaining SWPL clubs will be hit accordingly and the prestige of the league could be reduced. 

OTOH, clubs moving up, will in the short term have higher costs and fewer visiting fans. How nany travelling fans will say Odd Down bring? A lot less than every club west of the Tamar for sure!

I have asked before, but got no reply, who are the new ambitious clubs to come into the SWPL fold? It would be good to think there are some.

I used to watch Buckland home and most aways. The travel to Greater Bristol every two weeks was tedious, wading through traffic for a 3pm KO. So, as Devon clubs joined and became successful I was hoping to see Cornish clubs follow suit. 4 joining at once, plus Ilfracombe joining the party, has changed the face of the WL. No Greater Bristol League anymore! Yay! Surely it is way more attractive to the bigger Cornish clubs now? 

The mould has been broken, the pressure is now on others not to miss out. In my more mischievious moments I have an image of Bodmin (still) refusing promotion and winning a lesser SWPL for ten years running!! 

As I said in an earlier post, the only positive, SWPL wise,  is that clubs like Lanson will be able to compete better in a  near village league to come.. The heavy losses and expectation of struggle against bigger clubs would be much reduced. Is lower standard but a more competitive league a good trade off?

Interesting tines

You can only refuse promotion once or you are relegated, so they won't be winning it for ten years.

33 minutes ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Interesting tines

Equally I can see Torpoint, Torrington, Brixham, Ivybridge and NAS. From Cornwall I'd add Camelford. They were a good side last year.

That's ironically the beauty of SWPL. Loads to move up in coming years.

40 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

You can only refuse promotion once or you are relegated, so they won't be winning it for ten years.

I know....was just being cheeky!! I could never understand their past happiness at  being the biggest fish in a (relatively) small pond.

20 minutes ago, Philheybrookbay said:

Equally I can see Torpoint, Torrington, Brixham, Ivybridge and NAS. From Cornwall I'd add Camelford. They were a good side last year.

That's ironically the beauty of SWPL. Loads to move up in coming years.

Unless there  is an unexpexted cash injection somewhere I can see Brix and Torpoint being the contenders in the East. All the clubs you are good obes

4 minutes ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

I know....was just being cheeky!! I could never understand their past happiness at  being the biggest fish in a (relatively) small pond.

Unless there  is an unexpexted cash injection somewhere I can see Brix and Torpoint being the contenders in the East. All the clubs you are good obes

I saw many games at the Kimberley last season and the gane v Canelford was the best quality game I saw. The Camels were superb that night. 

10 hours ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

I saw many games at the Kimberley last season and the gane v Canelford was the best quality game I saw. The Camels were superb that night

That’s was a good game of two good footballing teams - and Camelford were unlucky to come away with their only defeat of the short season.
Which is why I don’t think that the remaining ‘big’ clubs will have an easy ride next season. Camelford, Dobwalls, Wadebridge and Liskeard (to name a few) have all developed and  all showed that the likes of Falmouth / St Austell / Bodmin and Newquay (two of whom Camelford beat relatively comfortably) will have to earn the right for promotion. 
Penryn moving up are a good side, St Blazey will be strong, and if the bottom couple of teams strengthen the League will still be strong. 

50 minutes ago, Keith B said:

Oke Argyle are playing quite well, but their ground needs a lot of work to make it really user friendly for spectators. But, it all takes money of course.

Remember going to Okey Argyle years ago when they were in the SWL, the ground wasn't the best then. On the playing front, they seem to be pretty strong with a few ex Tiverton and Willand players in their ranks.

17 minutes ago, Keith B said:

Their ground hasn't changed in years WOTP. The tiny old stand is useless - no proper concrete terracing, just broken ground. Offers no comfort at all - may as well knock it down. That's it.

Best wishes to the teams in their efforts to achieve promotion, but, they will have to spend a lot of money to get their ground and facilities up to scratch for rating by the leagues. 

To use estate agent talk, a doer upper. 🙄

I think Oke do have plans in place to improve their ground. I know a lot of tidying up work was done a couple of seasons ago after they had dropped out of the SWPL and I have heard tell of plans to now fence it in etc, although I don't know of anything concrete (pun intended). I still think the ground is in a lovely setting, with the river running by and the moorland hills in the background. There is also a new sports centre by the school on the other side of the ground so a lot has changed in recent years. But, yes, they do still have a lot of ground grading work to do.