Cornwall Football Forum

The Way Too Early Transfer Thread, 2021 Edition

2 More ex St Austell join St Blazey goalie Jason Chapman and Liam Eddy 2 signings but the average age has got to be 30 Jason is a great goalie and hes Smokies friend as well but Liam Eddy if he can recapture his form he will be a great signing but hes had his injuries which has affected him looking forward to getting down to Blaise Park for Pre Season friendlies .1 signing that hasnt gone ahead Bitton wanted to sign Sol Wheatly from Bodmin but hes decided to stay a, Bodmin i can see him scoring lots of goals if he can stay clear from injury ,hes like Adam Carter in size but not as good but Adam Carter has been my fav player for years 

Phi££ La££s throwing mega bucks to accumilate all these players, with what he's spent they need some silverware to repay him ( pardon the pun!)

Blazey will do well in the current state of the league this season, would of struggled to of challenged  Saltash, Helston, Mousehole though hadn't they been promoted. The league standard has dropped every season, but will be its lowest ever. 

Can see Blazey winning the league, supporters deserve abit of success after the crap they've endured off the pitch in the last 12 months

1 hour ago, leedsunited said:

Phi££ La££s throwing mega bucks to accumilate all these players, with what he's spent they need some silverware to repay him ( pardon the pun!)

Blazey will do well in the current state of the league this season, would of struggled to of challenged  Saltash, Helston, Mousehole though hadn't they been promoted. The league standard has dropped every season, but will be its lowest ever. 

Can see Blazey winning the league, supporters deserve abit of success after the crap they've endured off the pitch in the last 12 months

Turned into a fish and chips league now maybe Leeds...and you're in it...lol.

1 hour ago, leedsunited said:

Phi££ La££s throwing mega bucks to accumilate all these players, with what he's spent they need some silverware to repay him

There appears to be a lot of sour grapes doing the rounds before the season even starts.      All clubs St blazey included should remember that H.M.R.C. are probably monitoring various websites with a view to moving in and collecting taxes when the time is right.
Committee members should also remember that in the unfortunate case of the club having insufficient funds to pay any taxes/fines, it could be incumbent on them to foot the bill as they are club representatives .
Incidentially Leeds, you never did answer our question about how much the Bodmin players were being paid, a bit strange we thought as you appear to have first hand knowledge on the wage structure of all the othe clubs in the league, especially those who beat Bodmin.
Who  pays whom and how much, has always been a subject of discussion, and as long as players are paid to take part in sport it will continue to be, just be aware of the taxmans potential if he comes knocking on the door of your club.   No problem if the wage structure is recorded in the club accounts and taxes paid where appropiate.

1 hour ago, Cornish Dave said:

No loyalty in football. Paying average players £80-£100 a game is a joke. The leagues are so mismatched and poor standard says a lot about the quality down here 

would be really nice if one of these bang-average journeymen who have travelled around the league clubs following the money to actually state how much they have made from their football "careers". I suppose they will have to spend some of their money to buy a large cupboard for all those different track suits that they have accumulated.

You would have expected the money to have gone down a bit now the league is a poorer standard 

but the odd thing is st blazey and probably a lot others will be paying out more then tavi and saltash do on players.  Still  The real big money is still being spent on players across the bridge and up the motorway the sums they are on would make blazey players packets look like pennies  

I just hope these clubs can sustain it   Blazey will need average crowd of 200-300  every home game to  compete if they go up.  same with Bodmin  I just can’t see it  they probably get about 70- 80 at most  . 

1 hour ago, Dave Deacon said:

But does anyone who posts about the money angle actually know the true figures?

Dave - there are still teams in the league who pay £10-£20 a game and a lot of those players are better than the perennial ‘big money’ players who move at the drop of a hat for cash. The less paid ones also seem more loyal and spend their ‘expenses’ over the bar in the host club - they play for friendship and enjoyment. I have seen some of the players mention in this post,pulling large sums of money from their tracksuit pocket (not wallet - as if they have just been given the cash) for a can of coke and going home - so I would suggest the figures quoted are accurate  I don’t blame the players for taking the cash (they are not the fools) - but there is something wrong when players get paid so much and some managers seem to think that because they are being that much they have to give them more to attract them - and the cycle goes on  

A lot of the players going to St Blazey, for example, were outstanding (and still good) - but many are ‘getting on’ and haven’t played a full season in two years - why don’t managers plan for the future and build teams rather then buying them - sorry for rant lol

As an aside to our earlier post relating to taxes on income, don't forget that the government will be looking in to every crook and cranny for income, having spent an absolute fortune on the current pandemic outlay.
We wouldn't want to serve on a clubs committee where the players taxable income is not properly declared.

I get the concern over these player payments, but the fact is, there is little escape or wiggle room in years to come. Teams winning the league will have to be promoted (or accept forced relegation) so places which can splash the cash will be reduced unless they stay at Step 5. 

But splashing the cash doesn't guarantee you'll win the promotion. Remember last year when they said Saltash wouldn't be up there at all after Matt and Ryan left for Parkway? I've publicly said Torpoint are odds on for the E Division,  but what about teams like Newquay- Falmouth, Camelford or St Austell? The Camels had an excellent side last year and St Austell rebuilt brilliantly so team spirit does play a strong part.

Totally agree with the comment above.  Established teams with togetherness and spirit have a real chance of winning the league this season.  Falmouth have been consistently up there and with the F-Troop behind them - will be the team to beat with Wardy the best CD in the league by a mile in my opinion.

the so called BIG MONEY CLUBS

blazey - signing ALOT of top experienced players but will they have the hunger to win it?

bodmin - been off the pace for last 3/4 years - and yet to show any quality signings (apart from Colwell)

so for me - I think it’s wide open but I’ll go for Falmouth to win it!

13 minutes ago, SWL Veteran said:

Totally agree with the comment above.  Established teams with togetherness and spirit have a real chance of winning the league this season.  Falmouth have been consistently up there and with the F-Troop behind them - will be the team to beat with Wardy the best CD in the league by a mile in my opinion.

the so called BIG MONEY CLUBS

blazey - signing ALOT of top experienced players but will they have the hunger to win it?

bodmin - been off the pace for last 3/4 years - and yet to show any quality signings (apart from Colwell)

so for me - I think it’s wide open but I’ll go for Falmouth to win it!

I would suggest if their hunger isn’t there they won’t be at the club for long 

You to say- it's St Blazey's to loose this year going on the signings. Good to hear from Paul of this parish stating on the Cornish Soccer Podcast that if they win the league they would take promotion.

With Torpoint my favourite for East- that'll be two more Cornish Clubs at Step 5 next season (can't see Millbrook or my team Saltash bombing/collapsing into relegation next season).

Possibly 6 Cornish teams in Western League- times are a changing!

15 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

But does anyone who posts about the money angle actually know the true figures?

We certainly DON'T know ANY true figures, but we do know the true concequences if clubs don't accurately record their payments to players in their books, as past history can confirm.

2 hours ago, FutureGK said:

One of Massey’s loans?  As Ryan R said during this weeks podcast the difference between step 5 and 6 not that huge, shame a young forward like Wharton not given an opportunity at step 5 ?

He was offered the chance, he chose to leave.

3 hours ago, SWL Veteran said:

Westy making two top signings there - I saw Wharton play multiple times over past seasons - a real talent and sure to fire in goals at this level.

Falmouth to take promotion if they win it?

I understand that when a club finishes in a promotion position and does not take it, the FA could relegate that club 2 steps 😳

1 hour ago, shots said:

I understand that when a club finishes in a promotion position and does not take it, the FA could relegate that club 2 steps 😳

Article 5.4 of the 2020-21 NLS Regulations:

5.4    At Steps 1 to 6, if a Club becomes eligible to take part in a Play Off Match and refuses to take part in that match or if a Club qualifies for promotion and refuses to be promoted then that Club shall be relegated from the division it last played in and shall play the following Playing Season in the division at the next Step level below. If the refusal/ineligibility applies to a Club currently operating at Step 6, the Club will be removed from the NLS and placed in the appropriate Regional NLS Feeder League.

15 hours ago, SWL Veteran said:

Westy making two top signings there - I saw Wharton play multiple times over past seasons - a real talent and sure to fire in goals at this level.

Why wouldn't they? if Helston, Mousehole, Saltash and Millbrook are still at step 5 for season 2022/23, then 23 games out of a 38 game season will be in Cornwall ( 60% of their matches according to my back of a fag packet maths).

Plenty of local derbies and lots of away days. Also sure that Western League treasurers will be happy to see a coachload of hungry and thirsty F-Troop turn up on a match day. 

1 hour ago, Way Of The Park said:

Why wouldn't they? if Helston, Mousehole, Saltash and Millbrook are still at step 5 for season 2022/23, then 23 games out of a 38 game season will be in Cornwall ( 60% of their matches according to my back of a fag packet maths).

Plenty of local derbies and lots of away days. Also sure that Western League treasurers will be happy to see a coachload of hungry and thirsty F-Troop turn up on a match day. 

Add in say Exmouth, Tavistock, Ilfracombe and Buckland plus 1 from East- and suddenly it looks almost like Peninsula League circa 2010. 

These players going to St Blazey have got to be the most disloyal players around. Same old faces that are hyped up so much but are completely overrated IMO. Just assembling the St Austell side of 3/4 years ago that looked past it back then 😆

If they prove me wrong and win the league, the same players will just leave as 'they don't want to travel'. 

St Blazey will pay the price in the end unfortunately. 

8 hours ago, Philheybrookbay said:

Add in say Exmouth, Tavistock, Ilfracombe and Buckland plus 1 from East- and suddenly it looks almost like Peninsula League circa 2010. 

Another 3 or 4 seasons with Cornish & Devonian clubs staying up and the shift westwards will be very pronounced. However, I am more hopeful of sides actually going up to the Southern League, so the balance could be the same as now! Having watched Buckland & Tavi regularly, as well as SWPL football, there's not any real difference between WL sides outside the top 6 and all but the weakest SWPL W sides.

On 06/06/2021 at 17:29, SWL Veteran said:

Why the laughing face le boss ? I think I can safely say almost everyone at Falmouth Town especially those who have worked tirelessly over the last few years improving the ground and clubhouse  facilities , have promotion in mind . IN MY OPINION ,I would want us to be promoted the proper way at the top of the league at the end of the season ,not on a points per game basis . Westy has a good side already but with the quality new additions and the F troop mobilised behind them ,who knows what might happen . UTT

If i was a player today i would crawl over broken glass to play in front of the ever growing F-Troop at Bickland Park for the mighty Falmouth Town. For many years our great club has been sleeping and indeed came within 2 days of losing Bickland Park 5 years ago, a club living on past glories of players like Manley, Etheridge, Rich, Carter, Scott, Kellow, Chegwyn, Ashe, Horrocks and many more. But Bickland Park was saved and now the club is back on its feet, out of debt, and ready to go.

In Westy we have a young vibrant manager who was born a stone throw from Bickland Park and is building a young vibrant team to carry the club forward.

Within the past 2 years the club has made massive improvements to Bickland Park, new roof on main stand, seats added, new floodlights, new extended roof on the Packet End and in the past couple of months lots on improvements to the clubhouse including a new roof and weather boards etc.

Theres no ground in Cornwall like Bickland Park.

Believe me, the Town is buzzing for the season to start, the F-Troop are chomping at the bit to get back. 

Promotion is our aim but it wont be easy, there are still a lot of quality teams in the SWPL but we are going to give it a real go. UP THE TOWN !!! 

2 hours ago, Jeff Chambers said:

If i was a player today i would crawl over broken glass to play in front of the ever growing F-Troop at Bickland Park for the mighty Falmouth Town. For many years our great club has been sleeping and indeed came within 2 days of losing Bickland Park 5 years ago, a club living on past glories of players like Manley, Etheridge, Rich, Carter, Scott, Kellow, Chegwyn, Ashe, Horrocks and many more. But Bickland Park was saved and now the club is back on its feet, out of debt, and ready to go.

In Westy we have a young vibrant manager who was born a stone throw from Bickland Park and is building a young vibrant team to carry the club forward.

Within the past 2 years the club has made massive improvements to Bickland Park, new roof on main stand, seats added, new floodlights, new extended roof on the Packet End and in the past couple of months lots on improvements to the clubhouse including a new roof and weather boards etc.

Theres no ground in Cornwall like Bickland Park.

Believe me, the Town is buzzing for the season to start, the F-Troop are chomping at the bit to get back. 

Promotion is our aim but it wont be easy, there are still a lot of quality teams in the SWPL but we are going to give it a real go. UP THE TOWN !!! 

Glad the ground was saved - always enjoyed playing finals there but it did use to look a little tired. Now with a lot of hard work and a proper wealthy businessman at the helm all is well and even the new F-Troop HQ squeezed in beside the clubhouse lol. Glad the club's mindset has changed and you are going for promotion now and wish you the best of luck for the season.

You forgot to Add Rappo to that list of great players Le Boss heard he was pretty good but thats before my time lol ,F Troop are brilliant they have some great songs it add atmosphere to the day pity everyone hasnt got a F troop They should do well this year with the young boy Wharton in there team now he never played many games for Helston and it will be hard for him hes only a young lad and needs a few pasties inside him to put on a bit of weight 

9 minutes ago, 100%cornish said:

You forgot to Add Rappo to that list of great players Le Boss heard he was pretty good but thats before my time lol ,F Troop are brilliant they have some great songs it add atmosphere to the day pity everyone hasnt got a F troop They should do well this year with the young boy Wharton in there team now he never played many games for Helston and it will be hard for him hes only a young lad and needs a few pasties inside him to put on a bit of weight 

it was not my list and there is no way I would ever forget Rappo!!! He was alright I seem to remember lol. 

Rappo was immense and Falmouth Town through and through, plus Tommy Mathews, Dodger Long, George Torrence, Neil Philips and to be honest many many more players from the 80's & 90's era. My reference in my comment was to the all conquering 70's side that i watched more than any other. 8 league titles on the bounce, (4 SWL & 4 WL) plus numerous cups.

Every player that has pulled on the black & amber shirt and walked down those steps at Bickland Park is special. UTT 

21 hours ago, mattelot said:

Why the laughing face le boss ? I think I can safely say almost everyone at Falmouth Town especially those who have worked tirelessly over the last few years improving the ground and clubhouse  facilities , have promotion in mind . IN MY OPINION ,I would want us to be promoted the proper way at the top of the league at the end of the season ,not on a points per game basis . Westy has a good side already but with the quality new additions and the F troop mobilised behind them ,who knows what might happen . UTT

With all the money being spent, is the entrance going to consist of a garden shed ?

11 hours ago, BIG AL said:

With all the money being spent, is the entrance going to consist of a garden shed ?

Nothing wrong with a garden shed. Spent many a happy hour hiding from the other half in there over the years.

Perhaps you could have bought the twin towers from Old Wembley for your club Big Al? 

12 hours ago, The Town Man said:

Welcome back Big Al!

Will you be walking past that shed and into the ground next season?I

All are welcome.

I don’t quite believe the last sentence, as much as I would like to walk past the dilapidated shed!

31 minutes ago, Tommy Matthews said:

So, “Excuse not to watch Falmouth Town number one hundred and whatever” is that you now don’t want to walk past a garden shed? 
Really? 
I’m currently laughing out loud and my wife’s wondering why! 

Probably because you are laughing too load about nothing, childish!

2 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Its brand new and perfectly acceptable. 

2 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Its brand new and perfectly acceptable. 

But surely with all the money being spent there, a much improved admission area could have been built.