Cornwall Football Forum

League Projection 2021-22 rumours

Morning all

Some interesting developments over the weekend on Non League matters forum. There's rumours going around that perhaps an extra team or teams could be promoted by FA from SWPL.

This could mean a Western Premier constitution looking like this

Ashton and Backwell

Bitton

Bridport

Bridgwater Town 

Brislington

Brixham 

Buckland Athletic

Cadbury Heath

Clevedon Town

Exmouth Town

Helston Athletic 

Ilfracombe Town

Keynsham Town

Millbrook

Mousehole

Saltash United

Shepton Mallet 

Street

Tavistock 

Wellington 

Couple of pointers- if the FA only take 1 extra SWPL team, the first in line is Mousehole. This could mean Brixham miss out and could be replaced with Portland United from Wessex League.

This leaves only 4 teams in the Bristol City area and as teams come up from SWPL these teams will move to Hellenic in the coming seasons.

What do you all think? 

1 hour ago, Dave Deacon said:

Fully expecting Mousehole! 👍

Thank god for Land's End Airport!!!!

1 hour ago, Philheybrookbay said:

Morning all

Some interesting developments over the weekend on Non League matters forum. There's rumours going around that perhaps an extra team or teams could be promoted by FA from SWPL.

This could mean a Western Premier constitution looking like this

Ashton and Backwell

Bitton

Bridport

Bridgwater Town 

Brislington

Brixham 

Buckland Athletic

Cadbury Heath

Clevedon Town

Exmouth Town

Helston Athletic 

Ilfracombe Town

Keynsham Town

Millbrook

Mousehole

Saltash United

Shepton Mallet 

Street

Tavistock 

Wellington 

Couple of pointers- if the FA only take 1 extra SWPL team, the first in line is Mousehole. This could mean Brixham miss out and could be replaced with Portland United from Wessex League.

This leaves only 4 teams in the Bristol City area and as teams come up from SWPL these teams will move to Hellenic in the coming seasons.

What do you all think? 

Be interesting if those teams who have refused to be little fish in a big pond actually take promotion or will they find new excuses not to go

Fully expecting Mousehole! 👍

Did the ground graders take into account the track up to Trungle Parc?  Long drive back to Bristol with your exhaust hanging off... 😁

Seriously though, congratulations to Mousehole. Would be a fully deserved promotion for a very ambitious club both on and off the field.

The one thing which has become clearer, is that the FA are determined to see Cornish teams and Devon teams up to Western League. The days of stagnation clearly are over. 

I'd expect the biggest teams seeing this in the SWPL and now looking at going hell for leather for promotion. It appears the argument of a Bristol based Western League is disappearing quicker than feared, and within 5 years I'd say it'll be Exeter based level. 

Equally, I'd watch out for teams doing very well and possibly going up to Southern League in time.

3 minutes ago, le boss said:

Have current ones refused?

No, but there are spaces to be filled in the structure. 

So we’re talking past then. Only been two hasn’t it? Bodmin and St Austell

Others have made noises about not wanting to take promotion if my memory serves me right. Two very close to each other locally I believe

1 hour ago, le boss said:

Others have made noises about not wanting to take promotion if my memory serves me right. Two very close to each other locally I believe

Problem is with that, is that FA can and have relegated teams for refusing promotion. Andover won Wessex Premier,  refused to go up, and got relegated to Wessex 1! 

You've got to have a cast iron reason to refuse promotion. 

5 minutes ago, Philheybrookbay said:

Problem is with that, is that FA can and have relegated teams for refusing promotion. Andover won Wessex Premier,  refused to go up, and got relegated to Wessex 1! 

You've got to have a cast iron reason to refuse promotion. 

I think most clubs only need to show the FA their accounts books for the past 5-10 seasons to show a reason not to be promoted. 

Great FA, you promote these teams and watch them go bust. Not enough money or players in Cornwall to support Western League sides.

3 hours ago, cornishteddyboy said:

I think most clubs only need to show the FA their accounts books for the past 5-10 seasons to show a reason not to be promoted. 

Great FA, you promote these teams and watch them go bust. Not enough money or players in Cornwall to support Western League sides.

If the Western league ends up with similar footprint to the old swpl then I’m sure Cornish clubs will be fine. Even Bodmin would survive at that level, provided they don’t try and out spend everyone again on player recruitment. 

4 hours ago, cornishteddyboy said:

Probably won't affect Penzance for 5-10 years anyway lol

If Mousehole are going up, think that is great news and I wish all three teams well in the Western League. Personally, just a bit of a shame that two of the teams never had the chance to ‘prove’ themselves at SWPL level by winning anything before moving up - but I suppose that doesn’t matter if they do well next season. 

That line up would be great. Some great away days in that mix. Having watched Buckland for a dew years I know the league well. With some strengthening Ashes, Millbrook, Helston and (hopefully) Mousehole can all becone established (and better) at Step 5.  Cornish football moving forward. Surely something to take pride in?

It would be excellent if the Fishermen from Brixham were in the fold too.

Rejoice! The Greater Bristol League days surely soon over!