Cornwall Football Forum

Ruan minor and Marazion should’ve be allowed to enter again. Time and time again they pay money for senior players to smash the trelawny league and then fold when they have to play their actual standard. It’s a joke and the players who play for these should be embarrassed 

Marazion I believe have folded due to a dispute over the ground with the school. If it is true, it's a great shame because it is a decent pitch.

Ruan have enjoyed success and had a good run so can't see any obvious reason why they'd fold? Particularly with the fees the players get at the club. Unless that money has dried up, then obviously the players have no loyalty and move on?

We've lost a number of players at Dropship this season who are all off elsewhere with their friends. 

3 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Better give us those "rumours" first! 🤔

The two clubs have already been named by others on this thread are the two I have heard about which is a shame as it will make the combo weaker overall, especially with other clubs getting promoted up to the St Piran’s league. It sounds like Marazion’s situation may be out of their hands, as for Ruan, IF it is down to financial reasons that is sad but has become far too normal. They have achieved a lot in recent seasons and would surely want to prove themselves in the St Piran’s league, however money (a lot of the time) talks. Time will tell I suppose. It would be great to hear that they take the promotion as everyone planned and expected at the start of the 2020-21 season. But with no team it would be understandable why they wouldn’t- obviously! To achieve it and not go up and move elsewhere is harsh on the club and all those working behind the scenes. 

• 2 weeks later...

It's always sad to see teams go this way and I have a great deal of sympathy for both clubs.  

The Marazion situation is I believe beyond their control as mentioned by @Dave Bartlam.  I had a vested interest in the Ruan situation and have discussed it at length with them.  It's not for me to divulge the details of those conversations but what I will say is that their withdrawal is nothing to do with what money players may or may not have been receiving.  The manager and players were keen to stay but circumstances beyond their control mean the club simply cannot continue.  I have no reason to doubt what I was told and any other club put in the situation in which they found themselves would almost inevitably have to make the same decision.

On 19/05/2021 at 17:03, Steve Carpenter said:

It's always sad to see teams go this way and I have a great deal of sympathy for both clubs.  

The Marazion situation is I believe beyond their control as mentioned by @Dave Bartlam.  I had a vested interest in the Ruan situation and have discussed it at length with them.  It's not for me to divulge the details of those conversations but what I will say is that their withdrawal is nothing to do with what money players may or may not have been receiving.  The manager and players were keen to stay but circumstances beyond their control mean the club simply cannot continue.  I have no reason to doubt what I was told and any other club put in the situation in which they found themselves would almost inevitably have to make the same decision.

I've heard the same. Not money related - buy an issue that many clubs can relate too.

My club might be folding yet, losing five teams. We can't find a ground. We planned to have seven teams next season (two Saturday sides, three Flexi teams, a Sunday side and a women's team). 

We've pretty much exhausted all avenues and the best we can find is field smaller than Gwinear with no changing rooms and a pitch more than 30 minutes away from our catchment area with changing rooms smaller than my downstairs cupboard. 

For the number of teams we have, we need a field with at least room for two pitches. I never thought in a million years that we would have this problem.

It's changed how I'm marketing the Flexi League - trying to get new players and teams playing football again. We grow to a certain size, a club from nothing that entered the league 4 years ago to a club of our size now and we are now looking at folding, despite having two Committees, over 150 players and a fantastic structure - all due to elements completely beyond our control.

27 minutes ago, 6times said:

Good there’s too many random teams popping up everywhere  , let these players go to a club with facilities pitches changing rooms clubhouses,  

We've been going for over four years and have no intention of slowing down. You could say this about many teams, however one born straight out of the Flexi League and flourishing is surely worth more than the teams that drop out of higher divisions to win trophies?

That's quite an ignorant and arrogant response.

On ‎19‎/‎05‎/‎2021 at 17:03, Steve Carpenter said:

So it's just pure coincidence that the man behind their recent upturn in fortunes,  both on the field and off, has apparently fallen out with the club and has left? If you say so lol.

10 hours ago, Dave Bartlam said:

I've heard the same. Not money related - buy an issue that many clubs can relate too.

My club might be folding yet, losing five teams. We can't find a ground. We planned to have seven teams next season (two Saturday sides, three Flexi teams, a Sunday side and a women's team). 

We've pretty much exhausted all avenues and the best we can find is field smaller than Gwinear with no changing rooms and a pitch more than 30 minutes away from our catchment area with changing rooms smaller than my downstairs cupboard. 

For the number of teams we have, we need a field with at least room for two pitches. I never thought in a million years that we would have this problem.

It's changed how I'm marketing the Flexi League - trying to get new players and teams playing football again. We grow to a certain size, a club from nothing that entered the league 4 years ago to a club of our size now and we are now looking at folding, despite having two Committees, over 150 players and a fantastic structure - all due to elements completely beyond our control.

What were you using for a ground in the last few seasons?

50 minutes ago, le boss said:

So it's just pure coincidence that the man behind their recent upturn in fortunes,  both on the field and off, has apparently fallen out with the club and has left? If you say so lol.

What were you using for a ground in the last few seasons?

In 19/20 we had a Sunday side that competed in the Sunday Cups, playing our fixtures away. We had the two Flexi League sides aswell, those games are played at Hayle and Penwith College.

This season, we have been playing our games at Hayle Rugby Club, we converted a pitch into a football pitch and had a plan to stay there for a few years before purchasing our own plot of land. That ground was used by all four of our teams.

In late March, we found out that the Rugby Club was going to turf us out so that they can use the two pitches for camping and caravanning. So, we now have no ground.

As a club we have grown and next season had planned to enter 7 open aged teams into the various league's, including Trelawny, Sunday, Flexi and women's. 

We have now been exhausting all avenues to try and find a local ground or land, however we have had no success. We've had no help from anyone that we've asked and to be honest, we are getting quite desperate now. As it stands at the moment, it's looking likely that we will only be able to field our Flexi League teams, thus giving over 100 players their marching orders as we won't be able to accommodate them. 

53 minutes ago, le boss said:

I have no idea.  Gary is going to be spending more time watching his son play up country but the circumstances described to me have nothing to do with that and would take pretty much any club at that level down.  As I said, I have no reason to doubt what I was told and can only take it at face value.

1 hour ago, Dave Bartlam said:

In 19/20 we had a Sunday side that competed in the Sunday Cups, playing our fixtures away. We had the two Flexi League sides aswell, those games are played at Hayle and Penwith College.

This season, we have been playing our games at Hayle Rugby Club, we converted a pitch into a football pitch and had a plan to stay there for a few years before purchasing our own plot of land. That ground was used by all four of our teams.

In late March, we found out that the Rugby Club was going to turf us out so that they can use the two pitches for camping and caravanning. So, we now have no ground.

As a club we have grown and next season had planned to enter 7 open aged teams into the various league's, including Trelawny, Sunday, Flexi and women's. 

We have now been exhausting all avenues to try and find a local ground or land, however we have had no success. We've had no help from anyone that we've asked and to be honest, we are getting quite desperate now. As it stands at the moment, it's looking likely that we will only be able to field our Flexi League teams, thus giving over 100 players their marching orders as we won't be able to accommodate them. 

sadly it's a little naïve to rely on the charity of another group, i.e the rugby club and also you seemed to have put the cart before the horse - nice to have big plans/dreams, but without a foundation, that's all they will ever be. Best of luck in the future but your set up isn't the first to suffer in  this way and won't be the last. 

1 hour ago, Steve Carpenter said:

I have no idea.  Gary is going to be spending more time watching his son play up country but the circumstances described to me have nothing to do with that and would take pretty much any club at that level down.  As I said, I have no reason to doubt what I was told and can only take it at face value.

Hi Steve,

Any news on when we will find out which teams will make up the St Piran’s league for 2021-22?

Thanks 

13 hours ago, le boss said:

sadly it's a little naïve to rely on the charity of another group, i.e the rugby club and also you seemed to have put the cart before the horse - nice to have big plans/dreams, but without a foundation, that's all they will ever be. Best of luck in the future but your set up isn't the first to suffer in  this way and won't be the last. 

Naive and charity? Hardly charity when we pumped a fair few £'s into the place. The plan was to spend five years there - presumably enough time for us to find and purchase our own land. However, we've been told to leave  after just one. That's not naive at all. We made a plan because we couldn't find a ground. And now that plan has unravelled a few years earlier than expected. What's naive about that. It's very bad luck is what I'd call it.

13 hours ago, cornishteddyboy said:

Dave Bartlam, can't you use Madron's old pitch?

We had an agreement in principle with Madron last season. However, they then went and invited another Club to use the facilities aswell (more money). It would have been massively over-used (not by us) and so it wasn't viable. It's also out of our catchment area which would mean we could lose a number of players.

We've done everything right. We've been in existence for four years, starting life in the Flexi League. We are now one of (if not, the) biggest club in Cornwall in terms of open aged football. 5 open aged teams at the moment, 7 hopefully next season. Yet we can't find a facility to call home. 

15 hours ago, Bantona said:

Hi Steve,

Any news on when we will find out which teams will make up the St Piran’s league for 2021-22?

Thanks 

Due to the unusual times we're living in what would normally be a straightforward promotion process is a little more complicated.  The clubs wanting to join have to have applied to fill a vacancy and that means a vote at the AGM.  We have a meeting next week to firm up the arrangements for that and I would anticipate that it will take place around the 10th June as last year.

5 hours ago, Dave Bartlam said:

Naive and charity? Hardly charity when we pumped a fair few £'s into the place. The plan was to spend five years there - presumably enough time for us to find and purchase our own land. However, we've been told to leave  after just one. That's not naive at all. We made a plan because we couldn't find a ground. And now that plan has unravelled a few years earlier than expected. What's naive about that. It's very bad luck is what I'd call it.

We had an agreement in principle with Madron last season. However, they then went and invited another Club to use the facilities aswell (more money). It would have been massively over-used (not by us) and so it wasn't viable. It's also out of our catchment area which would mean we could lose a number of players.

We've done everything right. We've been in existence for four years, starting life in the Flexi League. We are now one of (if not, the) biggest club in Cornwall in terms of open aged football. 5 open aged teams at the moment, 7 hopefully next season. Yet we can't find a facility to call home. 

naïve not to have something in writing to protect your plans and the investment you "pumped" in. Especially after what happened to you at Madron previously with just a verbal agreement. Lessons not learnt appear to have been costly.