Cornwall Football Forum

Truro City New Stadium, What Progress?

On 06/10/2021 at 16:23, The Town Man said:

Thanks for the invite but I would prefer to watch my local team, full of local players, playing great football in front of three times the size of the crowds Truro are getting at Bolitho.

No rabbiting on either.  Just showing a bit of sympathy for the genuine Truro fans who have been massively inconvenienced by the decisions made by the Truro City owners. Not sure how much money has been ploughed into Bolitho but I would have thought Bickland Park, Priory Park or even Penlee Park, over the road from the Pirates pitch would have welcomed the investment from their Cornish neighbours.  A bit more travelling for the "Home" players though I must admit.

By the way, Carnon Downs is not in Truro.

You're very right in principle , and yes, the best outcome would have been for Truro to stay and play in Cornwall. However, the reality was that Truro had less than 6 months to get a ground up to step 3 standard (still think it was a combination of rank bad planning and a little bit of denial by City's owners, but that's for people better informed than me). There was simply no way that the scoping of work, design and architectural work, planning permissions, sourcing of contractors and getting the work done could have been from a standing start in 24 weeks or so at (for example) Priory Park or Bickland Park.

Parkway had done all the preparatory work, got planning permissions and had the finance in place already for the upgrades, it was just brought forward a few years.

If anybody is really bored, have a look at the FA's ground grading criteria. Then they would appreciate the differences between grounds and facilities required for Peninsula League football and the Southern Prem.

On 24/08/2022 at 23:54, Roy of the Rovers said:

Dave

You do the Romans a great disservice.  It took them about 7.5 years to build the Coliseum in Rome.  Which at 50,000 seats was a significantly bigger project than the Stadium for Cornwall.

I am thinking the saga regarding a new home for Truro has been going on a lot longer than that, and not a single brick laid yet.

Their half time pasties were apparently pretty crap though, although the wine in the bars quite excellent.  

Roy of the Romans

When I saw the coliseum 10 years ago ,it still wasn't finished .😁😂🤣

• 3 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Ozman said:

I hear rumours that I should book my Truro City season ticket for next season. I understand it will be a 75 minute road trip, for the new fans, that we have living in Plymouth. I don't think the free bus will be operating either.

Ground sharing with Tiverton?

Seriously though, does this mean that an official announcement is imminent? Early days yet, but perhaps the new (or upgraded) ground should be step 2 ready.

A few rumours around, but has anything actually been started yet at the new ground, wherever it will be?

If yes, why haven't Truro announced anything?

If no, where do they plan to play next season? Surely can't build a Southern League stadium in 10 months.

Must be very frustrating being a Truro fan with the lack of information coming from the club.  Not sure how many fans they have left but you can't fault their loyalty after all they have had to put up with over the last few years.

3 hours ago, Ozman said:

Continued speculation about TCFC is getting boring. I have explained the situation. So once more: Truro will be playing at Langarth next season in a ground that is very similar to Plymouth Parkway.

Have they started it yet and why haven't they told anyone what is going on?  Don't see the need for the secrecy, if there is anything to be secretive about.

15 minutes ago, The Town Man said:

Have they started it yet and why haven't they told anyone what is going on?  Don't see the need for the secrecy, if there is anything to be secretive about.

It might already exist for all you know. Could have been built in total secrecy, and on a "need to know" basis.

Few people on here are going to look pretty silly when we get to the big reveal. 😀

9 hours ago, Ozman said:

Continued speculation about TCFC is getting boring. I have explained the situation. So once more: Truro will be playing at Langarth next season in a ground that is very similar to Plymouth Parkway.

I think they will need a better ground than that ( no disrespects to PPFC ) if they do go back into the National League South which at the moment looks quite promising.

1 hour ago, Box 2 Box said:

Just driven by Langarth and it appears work is underway , great news for Truro City 👍

In that case, Truro's press officer needs to get his loud hailer out. (If the club decides to inform him) Rally the troops! Collect them from all the far-flung corners of Cornwall, to wherever they have scuttled off in search of live football!

TRURO ARE COMING HOME!!

Watch this space!

(Might need Tommy Walsh, Nick from DIY SOS, Smiley, Smiley Carol Smillie, Kevin from Grand Designs, that blonde girl from Property Ladder et al if they are to finish it by next summer though!)

Hopefully the ones who have adopted Falmouth Town will decide to stay and embrace the atmosphere at the iconic old ground that is Bickland Park and not be seduced by the new plastic coated steel and perspex of Langarth, out in the back of beyond of Carland Cross.

14 hours ago, The Town Man said:

In that case, Truro's press officer needs to get his loud hailer out. (If the club decides to inform him) Rally the troops! Collect them from all the far-flung corners of Cornwall, to wherever they have scuttled off in search of live football!

TRURO ARE COMING HOME!!

Watch this space!

(Might need Tommy Walsh, Nick from DIY SOS, Smiley, Smiley Carol Smillie, Kevin from Grand Designs, that blonde girl from Property Ladder et al if they are to finish it by next summer though!)

Hopefully the ones who have adopted Falmouth Town will decide to stay and embrace the atmosphere at the iconic old ground that is Bickland Park and not be seduced by the new plastic coated steel and perspex of Langarth, out in the back of beyond of Carland Cross.

"iconic old ground that is Bickland Park" you could of just said "run down" 🤣

19 hours ago, Footy Detective said:

I think they will need a better ground than that ( no disrespects to PPFC ) if they do go back into the National League South which at the moment looks quite promising.

A better ground then parkways ?? That’s probably one of the best grounds around. Modern club house. Modern under cover stands. Sponsors area. Can’t see Truro having the money to build some 10,000 all seater stadium. 

4 hours ago, The Town Man said:

How come you are the only person who knows about this Osman? Anything been put out by TCFC yet?

Same question: Why the secrecy?

According to this thread, everyone's an expert. 🙄

My father said the best thing about Bickland Park was/were the pasties. Although he hasn't been there since the 1970s. 😅

10 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Hope to be talking to Alex Black for the podcast in a week or two when hopefully he will be able to bring us up to date a little.  

Thats right Dave, I think the Clubs' Official Statement should be forthcoming from a Club Official, once all the ducks are in a straight row. Thats the way it works.

• 1 month later...

Good interview Dave, well done for getting Alex Black on the podcast.

Those timelines look daunting though, can't see any way they go from "sloping farmer's field" (to quote Mr Black) to a 3000 capacity, possibly step 2 compliant ground by the start of next season (effectively 30 weeks now as I would guess it would need to be ready and signed off by 1st June 2023 latest ), even 12 months would seem a tall order. Wonder if discussions are under way about "lodging" at Bolitho for the first part of 2023/24 at least?

On the whole, pretty positive stuff. This adds to the good things that are happening on the pitch with all three City sides.

13 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

Saw the plans on Cornwall live. Looks a very basic stadium probably have to knock up something quick to be fair then build and develop from there.  Least it looks like finally going to get a home back in Cornwall.  

The playing surface is something to consider as well.

Getting the ground levelled, foundations and drainage built, soil prepared, pitch laid, established and bedded down might be a challenge in this short time period. Older would have had a few thoughts.

7 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Saw the plans on Cornwall live. Looks a very basic stadium probably have to knock up something quick to be fair then build and develop from there.  Least it looks like finally going to get a home back in Cornwall.  

Was there any mention of the cost of a main road link into the new stadium,  talk in the past was the inclusion of some sort of a roundabout, all of which I would imagine would come at a considerable extra cost.

I have to say I wasn’t too impressed with Alex Black. I cannot see the ground being ready for the start of 23/24 season. There is no ongoing agreement with PPFC - a direct rival - Am I wrong to fear City being homeless again with nowhere to go? Am I wrong to think that Parkway not keen on extending the tenancy agreement? Perhaps those with Parkway leanings may know how that club feel about the matter?

1 hour ago, Rob1978 said:

What exactly weren’t you impressed by? You try working with the relevant authorities. He has to try to keep positive. Alex and the club are doing as much as they can do deliver a stadium. As long as work is started as some point this season, they will be found a solution for next season. 

Start at some point ?  Would imagine it needs starting like months ago.  Winter and Xmas approaching now I’m not an expert but I imagine there is a massive amount of work to be completed before august next year.  

24 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

Start at some point ?  Would imagine it needs starting like months ago.  Winter and Xmas approaching now I’m not an expert but I imagine there is a massive amount of work to be completed before august next year.  

My thoughts exactly Sportsman10. It is great that Truro City are moving from aspirations to plans (even if action is still a little way away), but cannot see how you go from where we are today to step 2 (hopefully) ready facility in just over 6 months. Especially when, as you say, we are heading up to the Christmas/New Year shutdown and the coldest,darkest,wettest time of the year. Surely City are in discussions about temporary lodgings for the first half of next season.

Another thought as well, given that a lot of players and volunteers in Cornish football come from the building and construction game, has anybody heard of anybody being hired to work on the initial groundwork?

49 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

Of course it’s not going to be ready for next season. The club and Alex Black will know that, but they would have to be pretty stupid just to say that. What else can they do? Kidnap the council and force them to move quicker!! The council and Truro city need this project to succeed. If work is at least started after Christmas, then the club will find somewhere for the new season. There will be discussions going on with Parkway and others but you can’t expect them to give away all the details. What do people expect him to say? - Parkway will give us one more year for 50k and Tyler Harvey. People who spend hours of hard work finding solutions shouldn’t be getting moaning from keyboard warriors