Cornwall Football Forum

Judging by the pictures and comments on the Plymouth Parkway What's App group, the work on the pitch and ground to get it ready for step 3 football is progressing rapidly, made me wonder what the state of progress is though regarding the new Truro City ground at Langarth? The stated aim is to have the ground ready for the start of the 2022/23 season, which is less than 15 months away. If this is to be achieved, then I would imagine that meaningful site preparations ahead of construction would have needed to have started by now. Hopefully, folk local to the new ground will be able to shed light on this.

I can't see this happening for 2022/23 season-I don't think the funding is in place for starters.

There is activity at Langarth with what looks like an access road to the site which I understand is for the Council approved housing.

I think Bolitho Park has a cuckoo in the nest for quite a few seasons.

A couple months ago Truro said they had the money in place to build a ground. They said they were still open to the Pirates coming on board but if not they would carry on regardless. This was because they were homeless and needed to get on with things. This independent spirit seemed strange at the time, for the simple reason that Truro are owned by the Pirates. Surely the rugby club calls the shots and isn’t going to be dictated to by its football club?

The money for the sale of the ground is lodged with the Council, not the Pirates. They are determined that Truro has its football ground. The ground at Langarth, next to the park & ride, is where the ground will be, in the time frame announced. Truro FC are playing at Plymouth Parkway for one season as no club in Cornwall has the facilities required for the Southern League and could not get their ground planning position, to be at the standard required. Truro FC are an ambitious Club that is hoping to have a reserve team in the Peninsula League. Truro FC should be applauded having an ambition that other Cornish Clubs have not realised, that is climbing up the football pyramid with the backing of the Conish Pirates.

1 hour ago, Ozman said:

The money for the sale of the ground is lodged with the Council, not the Pirates. They are determined that Truro has its football ground. The ground at Langarth, next to the park & ride, is where the ground will be, in the time frame announced. Truro FC are playing at Plymouth Parkway for one season as no club in Cornwall has the facilities required for the Southern League and could not get their ground planning position, to be at the standard required. Truro FC are an ambitious Club that is hoping to have a reserve team in the Peninsula League. Truro FC should be applauded having an ambition that other Cornish Clubs have not realised, that is climbing up the football pyramid with the backing of the Conish Pirates.

I am not doubting the ambition of the owners. I am a firm believer that Cornwall ( and in particular the Cornish Pirates ) desperately needs a major facility such as this. Setting aside the sporting benefits of this, getting it built would, both in terms of the people that would be required to build and run it and the following revenue streams from sporting and non sporting events, be a major factor in any government "levelling up" agenda for the counties economy. A new stadium can only be a good thing (why not call it the Nigel Martyn. Stack Stevens or Phil Vickery Stadium. Put it to a public vote), but it has been talked about since 2005 in one form or another, and there is still no apparent sign of a shovel being put in the ground.

What I saying is that it being ready and playable for the 2022/23 season (as previously stated, less than 15 months away) seems fanciful. The last update on the Cornish Pirates website is from August 2020 (within this, there are still appeals for crowd funding), and nothing on the Truro City website beyond the January 2021 statement (it contains the line "hopefully commencing on a multi million pound facility for the start of the 2022/23 season).  I am not sure of the implications for Truro City of this not happening, and have no idea if the contingency of a second season at Bolitho Park has been discussed or agreed.

There is a 2nd season option if required at Parkway. This is just sensible forward planning. The football ground is the priority, with the basic requirements needed to play Southern League/ National South. With an all-weather pitch it will also serve as a convenient mid-week training ground for the Pirates (as many of them live in the local area). It is probable that Pirates would not play completion games for three years there, as the "stadium" is upgraded, over a couple of years. The priority is to get the football team back in its own home.

34 minutes ago, Ozman said:

There is a 2nd season option if required at Parkway. This is just sensible forward planning. The football ground is the priority, with the basic requirements needed to play Southern League/ National South. With an all-weather pitch it will also serve as a convenient mid-week training ground for the Pirates (as many of them live in the local area). It is probable that Pirates would not play completion games for three years there, as the "stadium" is upgraded, over a couple of years. The priority is to get the football team back in its own home.

And so the big question we all want an answer to :”When will the diggers move in to start building the Truro City FC new ground?”

1 hour ago, Ozman said:

All weather pitch as the main pitch(?)

7 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

And so the big question we all want an answer to :”When will the diggers move in to start building the Truro City FC new ground?”

The Truro City Chairman Jack Richards made a statement in the Truro Voice dated 9th April on the reasons for slow progress at Langarth.

Log on and read for yourself, not for me to comment on his reasons.

That was a month ago now and I think all the supporters would like to know that some progress is being made. At that time discussions were ongoing re Langarth. The club were “doing all they could” but local council elections were slowing things down.

The priority was to develop Langarth, but another month has slipped by and that dream of playing there at the start of season 2022-23 becomes a little more difficult to imagine. That is unless Truro City FC can tell anyone different!

31 minutes ago, Mike Odgers said:

Would that be separate to  The Stadium ?

Yes that’s the intention to get a ground there for Truro City FC

1 hour ago, Ozman said:

I think it is feasible to build a football ground that can host the Southern League, so I don't write it off, for a 2022-23 home game.

Not writing it off quite yet. But everyday that goes by with nothing having happened is another day ticked off! 

34 minutes ago, Mike Odgers said:

Would that be separate to  The Stadium ?

Around the 2 hours 20 min stage of this podcast episode back in mid January when we heard from Alex Black https://anchor.fm/cornishsoccer/episodes/RAPPO--DEACS---Friday--January-22-2021-ep9qqu

Noticed in the Truro Voice interview with Truro City chair, Jack Richards, that the temporary stands from Treyew are being stored at St Dennis FC. The intention is to bring them back to use initially at new ground/stadium, hardly screams state of the art facility. 

Read elswhere that the obtained planning permission requires work to begin by 2023. Wonder what constitutes work beginning, a third van parked on the site? 🙄

Not wishing to influence the content of the Rappo and Deacs podcast, but sounds like there is plenty to discuss in a follow up interview with a Truro City representative.

Ok I’m lost!! Is the plan still to have a stadium with the Pirates or to have a completely separate ground? Is it a case of building a basic ground for the football to start with, with the rugby team joining later on? Does anyone actually know? I could never understand why Truro/Pirates didn’t just build a facility to nonleague/champrugby standard, with a plan to slowly improve the facilities to efl/premrugby afterwards.

9 hours ago, Rob1978 said:

Ok I’m lost!! Is the plan still to have a stadium with the Pirates or to have a completely separate ground? Is it a case of building a basic ground for the football to start with, with the rugby team joining later on? Does anyone actually know? I could never understand why Truro/Pirates didn’t just build a facility to nonleague/champrugby standard, with a plan to slowly improve the facilities to efl/premrugby afterwards.

I'm guessing that finance is the issue Rob. Given the the RFU are slashing their payments to Championship rugby clubs, the Pirates probably aren't awash with cash.

13 hours ago, Rob1978 said:

Alex Black explains in the above podcast link

Parkway will hopefully be promoted to step 4 this summer. Their ground is being built to step 3 grading. What happens if Truro get promoted up to step 2 next season (a strong possibility) and their new ground isn’t ready (another strong possibility). Will Bolitho be ok for national league south? If not, will it be upgraded again or will Truro have to go back to Torquay?

Is it still a Stadium for Cornwall?  This is what the Cornwall Council and the Government promised money for. Sounds like it may only be a stadium for Truro City, so where is the money coming from now?