Jump to content
Cornwall Football Forum

TRELAWNY LEAGUE Results - Saturday 1 May 2021


Recommended Posts

PREMIER DIVISION

Troon                                1-4            Goonhavern Athletic

West Cornwall     6-0 Camborne SoM

 

DIVISION 1

Constantine                     H-W            Penzance Reserves

 

DIVISION 2

Mullion Reserves            12-2           St Day 3rd

Chacewater                      4-1           St Erme

Frogpool & Cusgarne Reserves   3-1            St Buryan

 

DIVISION 3

Falmouth United             10-0            St Agnes 3rds

Goonhavern Athletic Reserves   4-2            Falmouth DC

New Inn Titans                1-3            Wendron United 4th

St Ives Town Reserves    2-0            Tregony

             

DIVISION 4

Lizard Argyle Reserves   4-4           Mount Ambrose

Stithians Reserves           0-10         Constantine Reserves

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, skinner said:

WHY

WHY

 

2 hours ago, skinner said:

WHY

WHY

 

2 hours ago, skinner said:

WHY

WHY

Because Penzance are throwing the game to make sure St Just are not handed the league title ! Like I said last week when two Penzance players made a three goal difference to our result at Praze, Well done, Penzance. Pursuing your club agenda, number one. "Try to screw up St Just." Can't think of anything more motivating for the Tinners. Thanks, CTB.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, isaac rosenberg said:

 

 

Because Penzance are throwing the game to make sure St Just are not handed the league title ! Like I said last week when two Penzance players made a three goal difference to our result at Praze, Well done, Penzance. Pursuing your club agenda, number one. "Try to screw up St Just." Can't think of anything more motivating for the Tinners. Thanks, CTB.

I would certainly hope it's not for that reason!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

I would certainly hope it's not for that reason!!!

I'm sure that's not the reason Older; Penzance & St Just Clubs get on well and I'm certain, would wish them all the success they deserve after a 2nd excellent season. There's plenty of room for rivalry in sport but none for hatred! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, John Mead said:

I'm sure that's not the reason Older; Penzance & St Just Clubs get on well and I'm certain, would wish them all the success they deserve after a 2nd excellent season. There's plenty of room for rivalry in sport but none for hatred! 

I think hatred is an overstatement.  However, ths antipathetic relationship is historical and political. Its roots lie in decisions affecting the tin mining industry and location of the railway terminus. In my lifetime, some planning decisions turned up the resentment. The late Dave Wadd did not exactly help go allay it. The performance and profile of Penzance, not only in football but in every other regard, over the last forty years, contrasts with the improvement of more attractive parts of Penwith. It calls into question the arrogant presumption that Penzance exemplifies seniority or regional capital status. The welcome given to our Spanish ancestors in St Just after they had burned Penzance tells you all you need to know. Thus isn't hatred. It is in the blood. It is political determinism and payback.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, isaac rosenberg said:

I think hatred is an overstatement.  However, ths antipathetic relationship is historical and political. Its roots lie in decisions affecting the tin mining industry and location of the railway terminus. In my lifetime, some planning decisions turned up the resentment. The late Dave Wadd did not exactly help go allay it. The performance and profile of Penzance, not only in football but in every other regard, over the last forty years, contrasts with the improvement of more attractive parts of Penwith. It calls into question the arrogant presumption that Penzance exemplifies seniority or regional capital status. The welcome given to our Spanish ancestors in St Just after they had burned Penzance tells you all you need to know. Thus isn't hatred. It is in the blood. It is political determinism and payback.

My god isaac you need to get past all of that stuff.

That statement is just bonkers! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

St ives Town res 2 tregony 0 

Congratulations to st ives I believe this means they win the title given the celebrations at the end 

Out fought and out worked sadly today. They simply worked harder for the ball at every chance. We never really tested the keeper at all

One very sour note at the end when a "spectator" sat in the st ives dug out shouted break his legs at one of our 17 year olds who was on the ball at the time. The spectator was asked to leave Thankgod 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Dave Deacon changed the title to TRELAWNY LEAGUE Results - Saturday 1 May 2021
1 hour ago, Footballlover442 said:

St ives Town res 2 tregony 0 

Congratulations to st ives I believe this means they win the title given the celebrations at the end 

Out fought and out worked sadly today. They simply worked harder for the ball at every chance. We never really tested the keeper at all

One very sour note at the end when a "spectator" sat in the st ives dug out shouted break his legs at one of our 17 year olds who was on the ball at the time. The spectator was asked to leave Thankgod 

 

As a club, once again I’d like to apologise for what was said from someone who I can confirm has nothing to do with St Ives Town football club other than having a friend playing for us. As soon as the comment was made, I said to him it was out of order and rightly so the referee asked him to leave the ground.
 

Aside from this, I thought the game was played in great spirits, a feisty affair with both teams battling to win and on the day St Ives took 2 of their chances and defended very well. Not sure of his name but the Tregony Manager has a great bunch of lads there and we wish them luck for the rest of the season. 
 

As for the league, Falmouth can still mathematically win the league so nothing is being taken for granted, we just like a beer at the end :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Footballlover442 said:

St ives Town res 2 tregony 0 

Congratulations to st ives I believe this means they win the title given the celebrations at the end 

Out fought and out worked sadly today. They simply worked harder for the ball at every chance. We never really tested the keeper at all

One very sour note at the end when a "spectator" sat in the st ives dug out shouted break his legs at one of our 17 year olds who was on the ball at the time. The spectator was asked to leave Thankgod 

 

 

38 minutes ago, BickyNutt said:

As a club, once again I’d like to apologise for what was said from someone who I can confirm has nothing to do with St Ives Town football club other than having a friend playing for us. As soon as the comment was made, I said to him it was out of order and rightly so the referee asked him to leave the ground.
 

Aside from this, I thought the game was played in great spirits, a feisty affair with both teams battling to win and on the day St Ives took 2 of their chances and defended very well. Not sure of his name but the Tregony Manager has a great bunch of lads there and we wish them luck for the rest of the season. 
 

As for the league, Falmouth can still mathematically win the league so nothing is being taken for granted, we just like a beer at the end :) 

I thought it was an excellent game by two committed sides who both tried to play football on an ‘undulating’ pitch. The comment by the local at the end was unfortunate, but hopefully the village will have him back for the idiot comment but shouldn’t detract from the excellent attitude from both sets of players who were all fully committed but gracious enough to congratulate each other at the end - pleasure to be involved with and a good advertisement for local football and credit to division 3 who apart from 1 side have all come back to play out the season and enjoy their football👍👏

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BickyNutt said:

As a club, once again I’d like to apologise for what was said from someone who I can confirm has nothing to do with St Ives Town football club other than having a friend playing for us. As soon as the comment was made, I said to him it was out of order and rightly so the referee asked him to leave the ground.
 

Aside from this, I thought the game was played in great spirits, a feisty affair with both teams battling to win and on the day St Ives took 2 of their chances and defended very well. Not sure of his name but the Tregony Manager has a great bunch of lads there and we wish them luck for the rest of the season. 
 

As for the league, Falmouth can still mathematically win the league so nothing is being taken for granted, we just like a beer at the end :) 

No need to apologise you always get one. It was plain to see he was nothing to do with your football club. I thought the ref handled it well in straight away going over and asking him to leave.
I honestly thought it was swampy! He looked like he needed a good wash. Hopefully someone has a quiet word or even gives a clip round the ear!

st ives played the better footie and could have scored more. We had a couple out but it’s rare that everyone is available to play.  I thought we tried to compete and tried to play at times.
We need a few more players in a few more brains as well!

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Chris wells said:

Don’t post much on here , but hope Fal United win the league ,great bunch of young lads and are not playing players who should be playing above there level or paying the system . 

As opposed to? Not sure what this comment gets at to be honest. As we started our second team from scratch two years ago we’re in no place to say we are or are not good enough for the level and we are certainly not ‘paying the system’. I very rarely comment on this forum myself however today for the first time in probably 5 years I felt the need to clarify we had nothing to do with a disgusting comment made from a spectator. 
 

At the end of the day we all play football to enjoy it, everyone is  entitled to their opinion and of course some people would want other teams to win the league other than St Ives through loyalty and support, however I do think saying things like that is a bit strange as we can only do what’s it front of us. We have played Falmouth this year and they were a fantastic side and we did extremely well to leave their ground with 3 points and I’m looking forward to them visiting the saltings. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Chris wells said:

Don’t post much on here , but hope Fal United win the league ,great bunch of young lads and are not playing players who should be playing above there level or paying the system . 

Thanks Chris, we are a young side ( myself aside lol ) we had 3 of our under 16s playing today which is the whole idea for their progression from kids football to the adults. We had 13 out of the 16 today have progressed through the Fal United club. You boys were twice the size of us and could have quite easily kicked us off the park but you kept it as a football match which was awsome, a lot of credit and really nice bunch of lads you have there, all the best for the future. Tim 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

My god isaac you need to get past all of that stuff.

That statement is just bonkers! 

Well older, I guess it shows the depth of Rodney's knowledge anyway. It's sad that a man can hold on to such strong feelings for so long. Life is too short to go on bearing a grudge. Those feelings can lead to other things too, among them ill health. The statement isn't bonkers to my thinking, it's probably all true. Rodney is without a doubt a very knowledgeable and learned man, but, his wrought up political opinions and emotions are dangerous and can lead to hatred in others, which can be even more dangerous.

I'd like to meet Rodney again one day and sit down and chat with him over a cup of tea (not alcohol). He's entitled to his opinions as we all are, even though you and I might disagree with him, but, I still believe that beneath it all, Rodney's heart is in the right place. I may be wrong, but I don't think so.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, BickyNutt said:

As opposed to? Not sure what this comment gets at to be honest. As we started our second team from scratch two years ago we’re in no place to say we are or are not good enough for the level and we are certainly not ‘paying the system’. I very rarely comment on this forum myself however today for the first time in probably 5 years I felt the need to clarify we had nothing to do with a disgusting comment made from a spectator. 
 

At the end of the day we all play football to enjoy it, everyone is  entitled to their opinion and of course some people would want other teams to win the league other than St Ives through loyalty and support, however I do think saying things like that is a bit strange as we can only do what’s it front of us. We have played Falmouth this year and they were a fantastic side and we did extremely well to leave their ground with 3 points and I’m looking forward to them visiting the saltings. 

It Should have said playing not paying , why think it was amid at st Ives 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Keith B said:

Well older, I guess it shows the depth of Rodney's knowledge anyway. It's sad that a man can hold on to such strong feelings for so long. Life is too short to go on bearing a grudge. Those feelings can lead to other things too, among them ill health. The statement isn't bonkers to my thinking, it's probably all true. Rodney is without a doubt a very knowledgeable and learned man, but, his wrought up political opinions and emotions are dangerous and can lead to hatred in others, which can be even more dangerous.

I'd like to meet Rodney again one day and sit down and chat with him over a cup of tea (not alcohol). He's entitled to his opinions as we all are, even though you and I might disagree with him, but, I still believe that beneath it all, Rodney's heart is in the right place. I may be wrong, but I don't think so.

His heart might be in the right place, it's just the other bits that don't  coordinate. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you, friends, for your kind concern. Heart not so bad, since my stent was fitted. I am indeed Bonkers for world socialism and the Tinners. This is the natural inheritance of my Methodist upbringing in St Just (this atheist still sends money to the Chapel !) overlaid by a few years reading a bit. I don't think anybody has seen me drink more than three pints of beer since 1982 and there is no alcohol in my house. The great William Cobbett referred to tea as "slop-kettle" and I never touch the stuff, Keith, so it'll have to be decaffeinated coffee, I'm afraid, which is my only vice except supporting underdogs and revolutions on principle and swearing at 24-hour newsreaders. Alternatively, I enjoy a nice glass of water.

Despite John Mead, whose heart is also in the right place, the attitude of Penzance FC to clubs and  local players in their hinterland has, for decades, been exploitative, patronising and short-term. During several decades in which they have enjoyed no success themselves; almost gone under; and leaked increasingly risible stories of imminent, glorious resurrection under wealthy blow-ins, they have traduced their history as the strong and well-appointed club that once could field the likes of Tony Kellow and Terence Williams. Once upon a time, they could at least claim, when tapping up the cream of local football talent, that young players joining them might learn and advance their football, even if their brown envelopes got lost in the post while they were sitting on the bench watching Plymouthians.

Now? Look at them.

"The lone and level sands stretch far away."

(Shelley, "Ozymandias", line 14).

Yet still those dysfunctional Magpies tap, tap, tap, like woodpeckers with St Vitus' Dance.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Penzance could not raise a full side to play their match for a couple of reasons, which Rodney will not believe.

Several were working in the retail industry over the Bank Holiday, and some being young, had to go away on holiday with their parents as they were not allowed, being 16-17 years old, to stay at home on their own. 

One of the problems of having a young, small squad which I am sure is the reason a few clubs could not play the extra games planned once the lockdown was lifted.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/05/2021 at 08:18, Keith B said:

Ahh but the tapping of woodpeckers is their mating call Rodney - fact.

( I've been a keen ornithologist since a small boy). 

Some of those Magpies have done more than enough mating already without molesting the young people of St Just, Keith !

On 03/05/2021 at 08:19, cornishteddyboy said:

Penzance could not raise a full side to play their match for a couple of reasons, which Rodney will not believe.

Several were working in the retail industry over the Bank Holiday, and some being young, had to go away on holiday with their parents as they were not allowed, being 16-17 years old, to stay at home on their own. 

One of the problems of having a young, small squad which I am sure is the reason a few clubs could not play the extra games planned once the lockdown was lifted.

 

I understand perfectly, CTB !

Retail ! No wonder the service in Penzance's emporia is so often a mumbling shambles !

Furthermore, no responsible parent would leave vulnerable children with you lot every Saturday, hearing that terrible language !

Taking their kids away on holiday ? More like obtaining a Place of Safety Order ! 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...