Cornwall Football Forum

Cornish Clubs have nothing to fear about joining the WL

Firstly welcome Saltash United, Helston & Millbrook to the WL. I can't comment on the financial implications of joining the WL, but playing wise there's nothing to fear. 

My perspective is that of Buckland Athletic fan, who has watched a lot of WL and SWPL West having moved to the Tamar Valley and regularly watching Tavi & the Ashes. Buckland were the first in recent years from Devon to take the step up, followed more latterly by Parkway, Exmouth & Tavi. The latter 3 are arguably the best sides in the division. Teams like Bitton & Bridgwater from further afield are strong too.

All the Devon clubs adjusted to WL football quickly. Bucks are rebuilding, but won the Les Phillips Cup not so long ago too.

The current squad at the Kimberley I'd expect to finish somewhere between mid table (at worst) or top 6 (at best). Helston will strengthen. Away games, especially midweek, may see  more Devon based players utilised, but I expect a similar debut outcome from the Blues. If they spend big, then challenging at the top is a real possibility. I can't comment on Millbrook as I've not seen them live during during either of the last 2 truncated seasons.

Does anyone know if Ilfracombe are taking the fourth 'upward movement ' place on offer?

In seasons to come surely with  SWPL success likely, in due course, if bigger clubs like Falmouth, St Austell, St Blazey, Mousehole, Newquay and others follow suit, then the WL will be exactly that - rather than the 'Greater Bristol League' it became and largely was until the last 2-3 seasons.

Add to this mix ambitious Devon clubs doing likewise, then in 5 years time we could have a really strong regional league. It is the way the best clubs will go, maybe even Bodmin might join the party too ;-) I hope so.

At last Cornish Clubs are now stepping up to the plate. So happy to see this. Good luck to all 3 clubs flying the flag for Cornwall next season!

Great piece Rob. I would agree, the Cornish clubs don't have anything to fear from the Western League. The obvious first challenge is the  extra travelling, Parkway and Tavi both embraced this and made the going away an event. Players, supporters and committee on the same coach made it almost feel like a raiding mission on the way up, and it was then a party bus on the way back. Remember that the Devon clubs were doing this every other week, and got used to it. A trip down to Helston and Millbrook ( especially in  mid week), will something new and a trip into the unknown for the WL clubs. While it is commonly agreed that the playing standard at the top levels of the Peninsula is equal to that of the WL, there is more quality down through the league, there isn't a group of whipping boys and you don't get as many lopsided results. The defences are certainly better set up and tighter, and each side has one or two players that can cause problems in attack. Lee Hobbs acknowledged that he had to change the style of Parkway's play after a few games in the WL in their first season, and a few players were changed around. This will probably be the case for the promoted clubs. I would imagine that all three of the Cornish clubs will be speaking to mates involved at Parkway and Tavi in order to pick up any hints and info on the season ahead, and what is needed. I wouldn't be surprised to see one or two of Parkway's fringe players (or those who can't/ don't want to, commit to step 4 football), make the move to Kimberley.

Remember Cornwall is a bit further down the line than Devon. 

The two potential clubs making the move both have sugar daddies, I suspect it is their ambitions rather than the clubs themselves. A lot of local players will have no interest in the amount of travelling and the teams will be made up of Plymouth/Devon  based player I suspect. 

Hardly local football but the best of luck to all of you.

The test will come when the team that wins the SWPL does not want the move up, and I would imagine a lot won't. 

A few years ago there were just 2 Devon/Cornwall clubs in the Western. One of which was close to the Somerset border. Next season there will be 7! Also half the Bristol clubs will be shifted to the Hellenic. Yet still the moans about travelling. If clubs keep taking promotion the future footprint won’t be much bigger than the pre-split swpl. The benefit of all this? Playing step 5 guarantees a club an Fa cup spot, which these days is quite lucrative. Ambitious young players will travel. There seems to be a younger more ambitious generation in Cornwall that isn’t so held back by parochialism.  Travelling is a challenge, but if Millbrook can make it work, then there will be no excuses left for some of the bigger names in Cornish football. 

20 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Ha ha...Milbrook is 100 metres from Plymouth. 

True! It’s also about 45 minutes away as well, assuming no ferry delays. I could get to Bodmin quicker!!

Saltash (which is genuinely next to Plymouth) to Bristol 2h 3 mins. Bodmin  to Bristol 2h 18. A30 is more direct. However there seem to be this big myth, even mentioned on podcasts that the likes of Bodmin are much further away. It’s simply not true!

43 minutes ago, Keith B said:

Correct. If you love the game, surely accepting the challenges comes with it and that includes the extra travelling. Supporters who love their football, usually manage to find the money to support their team home and away. Car sharing is factored into that and it all makes for a good day out. Win or lose, get out their and enjoy the matches !

There are other things that players have to consider -  family commitments being the main one!

3 hours ago, Rob1978 said:

True! It’s also about 45 minutes away as well, assuming no ferry delays. I could get to Bodmin quicker!!

Saltash (which is genuinely next to Plymouth) to Bristol 2h 3 mins. Bodmin  to Bristol 2h 18. A30 is more direct. However there seem to be this big myth, even mentioned on podcasts that the likes of Bodmin are much further away. It’s simply not true!

And if there is a ferry delay and they go the long route...late for the game...problems there.

I'm down in Penryn, never done Bristol in much less than 3 hours!

Factor in those hours travelling and therein lies the problem for many, away all day.

Petticoat power rules these days unless you stump up a good few quid. 

Need a sugar daddy for that.

But I accept your points.

It's brilliant that teams want to progress through the pyramid and test themselves at a higher level, clubs need to be applauded for willing to travel etc, people coming on here only pointing out negatives about the distance to away games are just boring now, those people are mostly the same ones that moan about players that are to good for the league not testing themselves at the higher level. Not all players want to be big fish in a little pond. 

6 hours ago, Kernowfooty said:

It's brilliant that teams want to progress through the pyramid and test themselves at a higher level, clubs need to be applauded for willing to travel etc, people coming on here only pointing out negatives about the distance to away games are just boring now, those people are mostly the same ones that moan about players that are to good for the league not testing themselves at the higher level. Not all players want to be big fish in a little pond. 

Might be boring to you,  but it can take 25 minutes to get to Truro from Falmouth,  then 15+ minutes to get through Truro. We don't all live on the A30, and that can be slow down this end of Cornwall. 

Truro,  Falmouth, Redruth, Chiverton all time losers when travelling from down here.

On 28/04/2021 at 17:18, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Ha ha...Milbrook is 100 metres from Plymouth. 

You need to get a measuring stick out older lol it's a 25-40 min drive around the bridge way or 10-15mins and a ferry trip, even as the crow flies it's further than that, but we are not complaining as already have to travel in the East league and are embracing it fully as will be a great adventure for us all 👍

1 hour ago, Millbrook Chairman said:

You need to get a measuring stick out older lol it's a 25-40 min drive around the bridge way or 10-15mins and a ferry trip, even as the crow flies it's further than that, but we are not complaining as already have to travel in the East league and are embracing it fully as will be a great adventure for us all 👍

Well done to you all buddy.

My comment was very much tongue in cheek, travelling in Cornwall is not quick from anywhere for sure.

As an Ashes fan- I was there during the early 90's and away days at places like Clandown and Welton Rovers. Back in the days of no sat nav, having to go via the old Non League Directory (remember that!), I couldn't find Welton Rovers ground for love nor toffee. had to drive into Bath (!) look in WH Smiths for ground directions as nobody was picking up the phone at West Clews. Happy memories!

Mind you, back then my first car was a old Austin Mini and driving on the M5 was fun. I'm looking forward to the new season- and hopefully my diesel car will help soften the blow occasionally. There'll be grounds I'll miss in Cornwall like Wendron and Penzance, but who knows in years to come. 

19 hours ago, Philheybrookbay said:

As an Ashes fan- I was there during the early 90's and away days at places like Clandown and Welton Rovers. Back in the days of no sat nav, having to go via the old Non League Directory (remember that!), I couldn't find Welton Rovers ground for love nor toffee. had to drive into Bath (!) look in WH Smiths for ground directions as nobody was picking up the phone at West Clews. Happy memories!

Mind you, back then my first car was a old Austin Mini and driving on the M5 was fun. I'm looking forward to the new season- and hopefully my diesel car will help soften the blow occasionally. There'll be grounds I'll miss in Cornwall like Wendron and Penzance, but who knows in years to come. 

A mate of mine once got lost trying to find The Ashes ground, and he was from Plymouth! Got an earful from one of her majesties constabulary when he pulled into the police station thinking it was Kimberley.

Supporters of TCFC having been travelling for years up country, following our team. The other interesting aspect is the number of Cornish supporters who turn up at every away game, who have moved out of the county years ago. They certainly out-sing home supporters in London fixtures. A great sight, seeing them unfurl the Cornish flag and their knowledge about the team. There  are also many overseas supporters who keep in the touch, for news of the club. Great to see other Cornish clubs making the move out of a year on year round of kick-about with same old, same old.

55 minutes ago, Ozman said:

Supporters of TCFC having been travelling for years up country, following our team. The other interesting aspect is the number of Cornish supporters who turn up at every away game, who have moved out of the county years ago. They certainly out-sing home supporters in London fixtures. A great sight, seeing them unfurl the Cornish flag and their knowledge about the team. There  are also many overseas supporters who keep in the touch, for news of the club. Great to see other Cornish clubs making the move out of a year on year round of kick-about with same old, same old.

I do try and get along to the Truro City fixtures in the London area. A highlight was the Dulwich Hamlet fixture a few years ago in which a small contingent of Cornish fans (on the road since 5am, and home God knows when) made a racket the whole match. 

On 27/04/2021 at 23:29, Rob1978 said:

Just Parkway. Clubs at the other end of the Western region will face lateral movement into other leagues. Clubs are basically promoted and relegated by step and then divided regionally. If more swpl clubs go up, we will see a westward drift.

The FA will announce this week who will be elevated from Steps 6 and 7, they will be part of 100 plus elevations.