Cornwall Football Forum

Tony Roberts

Terry Stephens

I’ve just heard the news from Maggie. He passed away peacefully this morning from vascular dementia. His body was still strong but his brain disease finally took its toll. 
Tony was a wonderful man with an incredible knowledge of the game which through his coaching was passed on to those of us lucky enough to have met him. 
RIP Tony and my condolences to Maggie. 

This is sad news. Not seen Tony for many, many years but he ran the FA Prelim Coaching Course that I was on, and soon after completion asked me to join him as the GK coach at the Cornwall Centre of Excellence. Can honestly say that I learned a great deal from him in regards to football coaching.  Condolences to all his family. 

😥😥Tony came along to St Day and did some coaching of our youth teams in the very early days off the back of a level 1 course.

Tony put the club in contact with AS Dirinon in France where we twinned and still visit every year to play in their international tournament. He even joined us one year in our visit to France, as he happened to be on holiday at the same time 😁.

Thank you Tony for your generosity and guidance. Without your link to France, loads of children would have never been given such a huge opportunity.

Best Wishes and god bless to your family 🖤

Tony was a fantastic football man Keith, brilliant coach, great manager who explained things in simple terms to understand as a youngster in his West Cornwall Schools team and then giving me my debut as Truro City 1st team manager in the Charity Cup against Launceston when I was a skinny 10 stone, 15 year old left winger. Always felt proud that such a prestigious and respected local football legend like Tony saw something in me, a very sad day for Cornish football. RIP Sir x

One of life's genuine good guys Tony will be greatly missed and was always great company whenever we crossed paths.  Very sad indeed. A nice tribute can be found here:  https://www.scunthorpe-united.co.uk/news/2021/april/in-memoriam-tony-roberts/

Only having read that did I realise we came from the same part of the country and even went to the same school, though not at the same time.  Small world.

RIP Tony and condolences to all of the family.