Cornwall Football Forum

social media abuse .

fenman

Isn't it strange that  abuse of social media has been skirted around for a few years causing misery and worse for some people ? Suddenly because footballers are subject to it  more and more , people are demanding that action be taken . Being a simple person I've often wondered why people are addicted to it and why  they use it .  Now some clubs are  stopping using it for a month as a protest .  Listening to Talksport the other day  I was shocked to hear that Ronaldo recieves £90million a year  through spin offs by his use of social media . This explains why  it is important to them , I thought that it was their big ego's  that kept them using it .

It's an awfully sad world when people get pleasure in  racially or sexually insulting people  by this media .

No excuse to be on here writing nonsense Older , lovely and sunny  and the allotment is drying out .

Good piece in When Saturday Comes a few months ago about how adept footballers have become at social media, and the double edged sword it is.

It centred on how Raheem Sterling and Marcus Rashford have millions of followers on Twitter,Facebook and Instagram and no longer need the traditional media to communicate with their fan base (which has irked the tabloid press in, hence the unfavourable stories that Sterling in particular is on the receiving end of), but it also means that the various cranks, weirdos and degenerates have an instant line into them.

What you say about Ronaldo in particular does go a long way towards explaining why Juventus are paying a reported 31 million Euros a year (around £26m, or roughly £517k a week), for a 36 year old player who is in decline. The access to his estimated 200m social media followers is worth far more to the Juventus "brand" than his performances on the field. Glad I don't have explain all this to my Grandad. 

Happening in every sport in every country.

Sportsperson earn money, people expect perfection.

The baseball team I support have taken on a new player from Tiawan on a fulltime contract. The other day, in the heat of the game, the ball was hit to him and he threw it at base to get a player out. 100% he was going to do it but had a less than that chance of getting a player out running towards home base. So the other team scored and for that he is getting social media abuse. Pathetic trools.

https://www.mlb.com/news/terry-francona-on-racist-messages-to-yu-chang